DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My iPhone Shortcuts and DAT file Transfer/Upload Process

kjmasson

Reactions
[ EDIT] Not sure why this posted twice. Sorry bout that... Not sure how to delete one of them. Admins? :oops:

This forum has been awesome for me, so I wanted to give back a little bit...

I recently started using my iPhone's "Shortcuts" app to run a pre and post flight setup which prepares my phone for flight. I forget which forum members suggested it in another thread, but thanks for that. I thought I'd share my "shortcuts" and see if anyone has anything to add, while at the same time providing a starting point for anyone looking to set these up on their phone.

PRE-FLIGHT
In the "Shortcuts" app, I created one called "Fly Mini" which has the following steps:
  1. [Brightness] Set Brightness to 100%
  2. [Volume] Set Volume to 90%
  3. [Settings] Turn Do Not Disturb On ; Until Turned Off
  4. [Scripting] Play Sound (this is just a confirmation notification)
  5. [Scripting] Open DJI Fly

POST-FLIGHT
This one I called "Flight Ended":
  1. [Brightness] Set Brightness to 50%
  2. [Volume] Set Volume to 50%
  3. [Settings] Turn Do Not Disturb Off
  4. [Scripting] Open Files
  5. [Scripting] Play Sound (again, this is just a confirmation notification)

NOTE: regarding number 4 in "POST-FLIGHT", the reason for this to remember to grab that DAT log file from your files and move it to a dropbox folder on my phone before the app syncs with DJI and removes it.

Don't forget, you can add these shortcuts as an app icon on your iPhone (which is kinda wonky) or as a "Widget" (which works great). Do this by clicking the blue circle with the three dots while creating or editing either shortcut.

----

For more information on these files and why that's important, check out this thread: Mavic Flight Log Retrieval and Analysis Guide

HOW I transfer my DAT file from the "Files" app (you need to have the dropbox app on your phone):
  1. In "Files", click the "Browse" icon at the bottom.
  2. Under "Locations", select "On My Phone"
  3. Go into the "DJI Fly" folder and scroll down to find the "FlightRecords" folder and tap it.
  4. Scroll down to the "MCDatFlightRecords" folder and tap it.
  5. *In there you should find one or more files "YYYY-MM-DD-HH-MM-SS_FLY###.DAT", tap **"Select" at the top, and then select that file.
  6. At the bottom, tap the "upload/share" button that looks like a box with an arrow pointing straight up from the middle of it.
  7. Tap the "Open in Dropbox" in the second row of icons. (if it is not here, you may need to add it by scrolling to the right and tapping the "More" icon.
  8. This will open dropbox where you can select a folder to which you'd like to save the .DAT file.
  9. Select a folder, and top "Save" at the top right.
  10. Wait for the file to upload to dropbox and then you can exit the apps and you're good to go.
  11. Go into DJI fly and ensure "Auto Sync" is turned off in the "Settings" section. (In app go to: Profile > Settings > Sync Flight Data > toggle the switch)
NOTES:
* for number 5, if you have selected to automatically sync log files to DJI in the DJI app settings, there may not be any files in this folder because they tend to get removed once DJI fly syncs flight records with DJI (Many folks sync to DJI in order to easily fetch their logs from DJI into the AirData.com website). To ensure this doesn't happen, ensure you alway do step 11.
** After you do this once, the "Files" app remembers and you should only have to tap this file and it will automatically open the "Dropbox" app and put you at step 8.

Good luck and I hope this helps out some folks.

Happy Flying (and logging).

KJ

Last edited:
Reactions: Exphantomflyer

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123