DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My mavic 2 pro needs a compass calibration almost every flight.

whiskey_throttle

Reactions
My previous models (Mavic 1, Phantom pro 3 and 4) almost never needed calibrating. If the older models said to calibrate - generally I was near something magnetic and just needed to move the bird. Not the case with this Mavic 2 pro - seems to almost always need a compass cal.. Is this typical for this model - or do I have a hardware issure ?

I have a Mavic 2 Zoom and it behaves exactly like you explain. I also have a Mavic Air, that is same. I believe it has to do with the way compass calibration/accuracy is handled in hardware/software generations that are newer than Mavic Pro. I had the opportunity to work with the Mavic Pro Platinum and it did not call for a compass calibration this often.

If it is asking for calibration every flight, rather than just every 30 days or if you change location by more than 50 km, then it's likely that something on the aircraft has become magnetized. How high is the magnetic interference value in the GO app sensor section?

Reactions: Joe Z and Thomas B
My previous models (Mavic 1, Phantom pro 3 and 4) almost never needed calibrating. If the older models said to calibrate - generally I was near something magnetic and just needed to move the bird. Not the case with this Mavic 2 pro - seems to almost always need a compass cal.. Is this typical for this model - or do I have a hardware issure ?
i have the same issue with my m2p however it only happens when i use my ipad 6 gen,when i use my samsung note 9 i have no compass issues and when i use my epson bt-300 no issues either.

It may sound funny but whenever i turn the mavic 2 while i m holding it to my hands (in the meantime i toss and turn it untill i put it somewhere level to take off) it asks for calibrating.
When i turn it on while it s parallel to the ground, steady and still, it takes off without asking for calibrating.
Just my thought

Reactions: Joe Z

It needs it if you move more than 30 miles (or maybe km. one of them).

I have a Mavic 2 Zoom and it behaves exactly like you explain. I also have a Mavic Air, that is same. I believe it has to do with the way compass calibration/accuracy is handled in hardware/software generations that are newer than Mavic Pro. I had the opportunity to work with the Mavic Pro Platinum and it did not call for a compass calibration this often.

My M2ED is the same. It requires compass calibration every time, even if I'm flying in the same spot.

Thanks for the input folks. Sounds like the newer generations of dji drones are set up to request compass calibrations different than the older models.

Hel
Hello,

This probably may not be what is causing the calibration issue, but from a recent incident it happened to me using a tracker with magnetic on board charge connection. Trackers containing magnets, will effect Mavic 2 Pro Compass calibration and forward left/right sensors.

Probably not causing your calibration issues, something to be aware in the future if you decide to get a tracker.

Paul

It may sound funny but whenever i turn the mavic 2 while i m holding it to my hands (in the meantime i toss and turn it untill i put it somewhere level to take off) it asks for calibrating.
When i turn it on while it s parallel to the ground, steady and still, it takes off without asking for calibrating.
Just my thought
I've noticed that as well. if i turn on my MP2 and walk around the moment i put it down it requires me to do the compass dance. i fly with dji smart controller.

It's best not to move it much after powering on, as it does some calibrations on power on, which might not be accurate if you move it elsewhere.

If it is asking for calibration every flight, rather than just every 30 days or if you change location by more than 50 km, then it's likely that something on the aircraft has become magnetized. How high is the magnetic interference value in the GO app sensor section?
Might try Degaussing.... I had the problem initially with my MPP and M2P. A minute with my CFixer and never had the problem since.

The only time I’ve ever been prompted for a compass calibration is when I tried to take off from a metal object like my car hood or one time even a power distribution/transformer box. I’ve never been prompted for one otherwise.

Mavic Pro Gen I, I only had to do a compass calibration once, when I first got it over 2.5 years ago, and have not been prompted to do so again. I always check status of all sensors before flight.

My Mavic Pro 1 has never needed a compass calibration since I bought it in January 2016.
DJI must be doing something wrong.

My Mavic Pro 1 has never needed a compass calibration since I bought it in January 2016.
DJI must be doing something wrong.
Not necessarily. DJI may have discovered that the compass calibrations need frequent recalibration over time, which is not at a detectable level. Enforcing a recalibration every 30 days and every 30 miles solves that undetected variation, to improve compass accuracy.

Still not true. Why mess up an excellent calibration you did even as recent as a week ago with one in an area you didn't realize had moderate magnetic interference?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S