DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My Mavic Air 2 lasted a week!!!

Tom25

Reactions
Hello,

Despite being a new Drone pilot, I was doing pretty well until today. When I decided to give it a bit more of a work out by following a local branch line out of direct visual range. As I neared the tunnel, at a distance of no more than 1/4 mile, it decided to elevate into a low hanging tree branch and crashed.

Eventually I found it, with considerable damage to the gimble, two prop assemblies, and other stuff. Thankfully, I purchased the care free package or whatever they call it, when they will repair or replace it two times. I'm hoping they don't count this as one of my replacements, due to it being a drone issue as I wasn't even touching the sticks at the time. In any case, rest assured I will NEVER operate the drone in a confined area again. Especially for recreational flying.

Troubled Tom

• Sad
Reactions: RayKelly and bebo
You should post your logs to the crash board.

What makes you think it was the drones fault?

Could it have been APAS avoiding something else? You said you were following a "branch line" then said it suddenly elevated. Later you said you weren't even on the sticks.

You will likely be charged a refresh, keep us updated if you decide not to post the logs though!

Sounds like you may have lost controller connection and drone started to RTH.... no upward sensors means it would hit anything above it that was below RTH altitude. Logs would help to figure it out.
Ahhh, good ol' RTH

That was prolly it

Reactions: Jorve82
Without more info I wouldn’t say that. He said he was bvlos. Didn’t say he lost contact. Need those logs to be sure what did happen.
@Tom25 I truly hate you crashed so soon after you got it and hard
to say what they will do. Download the flight data and these guys can tell you real quick just what did happen.

Without more info I wouldn’t say that. He said he was bvlos. Didn’t say he lost contact. Need those logs to be sure what did happen.
@Tom25 I truly hate you crashed so soon after you got it and hard
to say what they will do. Download the flight data and these guys can tell you real quick just what did happen.
I'm only assuming because the last thing he said was that he was not touching the sticks, but it began to ascend.

I mean you and I both know there are plenty of reasons these things go nuts. IMU, Compass, FC failure...

I jumped to a conclusion, and agree logs would be the definitive end-all-be-all answer.

Reactions: dirkclod
Ahhh, good ol' RTH

That was prolly it
I'm guessing I initiated a return to home plan after losing contact, which would of involved climbing through the tree's rather than to follow the ROW. My mistake was not setting the fixed elevation at 25, which I manually was using to get there in the first place. In short, without a upper sensor, or a properly set elevation limit, it was a doomed flight from the start. I was overly confident in my newly acquired flying skills, and the amazing avoidance systems built into the Mavic Air 2. Rest assured, I will never make that mistake again.

Last edited:
Well that explains it saying you lost signal but at least you got it back to return to get another. Seems it’s 30 bucks but might be mistaken.
afraid your going to eat that one but we all have to learn.
I did way back and still am. Welcome to our addiction. ?

Well that explains it saying you lost signal but at least you got it back to return to get another. Seems it’s 30 bucks but might be mistaken.
afraid your going to eat that one but we all have to learn.
I did way back and still am. Welcome to our addiction. ?

Hello,

It appears the first replacement will cost me $69, which is a deal. Hopefully it will be the last time I need to swap involuntarily swap out a drone.

Tom

Chin up mate it happens to EVERYONE...... bright side you had the refresh?

So true... with one refresh still left should the need arise. But educationally, I know what not to do in the future. Which is to fly out of sight or in under the cover of tree's, knowing the Mavic Air 2 lacks an overhead sensor, which in my opinion was a major mistake in my opinion.

As I neared the tunnel, at a distance of no more than 1/4 mile, it decided to elevate into a low hanging tree branch and crashed.

Sounds to me like maybe the drone recognized a hazard and took evasive action. But we may never know since you couldn’t see it either! Upload the files and perhaps others can help.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
Hello,

Despite being a new Drone pilot, I was doing pretty well until today. When I decided to give it a bit more of a work out by following a local branch line out of direct visual range. As I neared the tunnel, at a distance of no more than 1/4 mile, it decided to elevate into a low hanging tree branch and crashed.

Eventually I found it, with considerable damage to the gimble, two prop assemblies, and other stuff. Thankfully, I purchased the care free package or whatever they call it, when they will repair or replace it two times. I'm hoping they don't count this as one of my replacements, due to it being a drone issue as I wasn't even touching the sticks at the time. In any case, rest assured I will NEVER operate the drone in a confined area again. Especially for recreational flying.

Troubled Tom

And now you realise one of the reasons for keeping VLOS at all times. If you see something happening you have a chance to stop it.

Anytime you are flying under the canopy of trees you are liable to
lose satellites. I just set mine to hover when I do know I am.

Hello,

Troubled Tom
Sorry to hear you crashed. VLOS is key. Hope it is replaced/repaired for you by DJI. Let us know. Post photos where you were flying please.

Sorry to hear you crashed. VLOS is key. Hope it is replaced/repaired for you by DJI. Let us know. Post photos where you were flying please.
Hello, thanks for responding. It was being flown above railroad right of way through a steeply tree lined gulch leading to a tunnel. Had the Mavic Air 2 had upper sensors it would of remained under the trees rather than crashing into them. Either way, lesson learned. I wont attempt anything like that again. Or if I do, it will be done visually. In retrospect, especially being a new drone owner and pilot, I had no business being there. I will stick to rolling hills and open areas well into the future. Once I get the replacement unit from DJI. Luckily, I was wise enough to subscribe to their DJI CARE program. And just added a year to the plan, which adds a year of additional coverage. So even after this mishap I should how two more replacements, should they become necessary.

Rest assured, I will purchase a Mavic 3 once it hits the market. As from what I have read it will have even more sensors and a lot of upgraded abilities. Can't wait!!!

Last edited:
Good Morning,

I am happy to report that a new Mavic Air 2 is on it's way, through the care program. Which leaves me two more replacements. Hopefully I wont need them. One interesting thing however, is the repair costs was estimated at about $220 for a LONG LONG list of stuff. I'm surprised it was the low, given how mangled the Mavic was after it's run in with the tree.

Sincerely,
Tom

Reactions: Flying Grandma
Good news is the replacement MA2 arrived a couple days ago, and today was my first test day. I drained three batteries in the process. Starting with the basics then working up to challenging flights where it had to deal with elevation changes, tree's, obstacles, and other fun stuff. I did perfectly. I really like the avoidance system. Had I had it properly set up on my first MA2, I seriously doubt it would of elevated into a tree. In any case, it was a great first day. I will run a watered down range test in open countryside in the morning. Nothing too far, just need confidence in moderate length flights of a mile or two out and back in rolling hills. Likely along a branch line railroad and over a trestle. At least that is one of my ideas. We shall see.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada