DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My Mavic Air is arriving today! UK

Kenny.j

Reactions
Hi everyone,

I'm looking forward to mine driving later today. I plan to unbox everything, charge it all up check for updates etc before I try my first flight. Exciting times.

One thing that is confusing me somewhat, I live in the UK and stay reasonably close to Edinburgh Airport. According to drone assists I am in "Class D" airspace. It then goes on to say if you fly in this area abide by the CAA Dronecode. So I've looked at this and it states that in the UK you MUST keep the drone in line of sight at all times and stay below 400ft/120Meters. Give that when planes are overhead at their lowest they are 1400ft/426Meters that gives a safety buffer of 1000ft/306Meters. Is this acceptable? The last thing I want to do is cause chaos at the airport and have flights diverted or stacked until I'm carted away buy the boys in Blue.

The reason I ask is, I have obviously been reading lots and watching hundreds of hours of YouTube videos for hints and tips and have seen people post videos that have been filmed in areas also covered by Class D airspace?

So is the Dronecode sufficient to enable me to fly pretty much anywhere other that ATZ airspace? If I did wan't to fly within an ATZ area am I able to provided I stay away from the actual air traffic? For example the royal highland show ground has various events throughout the year, would it be possible to fly over some of that provided I stayed within the confines of the show ground? Would I have to gain permission from Edinburgh Aircraft control tower?

So many questions - sorry ;)

I'm looking forward to getting my drone and want to be a safe and responsible pilot.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Reactions: dirkclod
Hi everyone,

I'm looking forward to mine driving later today. I plan to unbox everything, charge it all up check for updates etc before I try my first flight. Exciting times.

One thing that is confusing me somewhat, I live in the UK and stay reasonably close to Edinburgh Airport. According to drone assists I am in "Class D" airspace. It then goes on to say if you fly in this area abide by the CAA Dronecode. So I've looked at this and it states that in the UK you MUST keep the drone in line of sight at all times and stay below 400ft/120Meters. Give that when planes are overhead at their lowest they are 1400ft/426Meters that gives a safety buffer of 1000ft/306Meters. Is this acceptable? The last thing I want to do is cause chaos at the airport and have flights diverted or stacked until I'm carted away buy the boys in Blue.

The reason I ask is, I have obviously been reading lots and watching hundreds of hours of YouTube videos for hints and tips and have seen people post videos that have been filmed in areas also covered by Class D airspace?

So is the Dronecode sufficient to enable me to fly pretty much anywhere other that ATZ airspace? If I did wan't to fly within an ATZ area am I able to provided I stay away from the actual air traffic? For example the royal highland show ground has various events throughout the year, would it be possible to fly over some of that provided I stayed within the confines of the show ground? Would I have to gain permission from Edinburgh Aircraft control tower?

I'm looking forward to getting my drone and want to be a safe and responsible pilot.

Howdy from Wyoming @Kenny.j , welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here.

Reactions: Kenny.j
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this as well but I've really looked into it. What I'm inclined to say to you is, think of yourself as a learner driver, or drone, learning to drive in a formula one car. Or in other words, take it slow. Yes it can do about 200 miles an hour but make sure you can handle 50mph first.

I bought two drones, Mavic and the £99 Telo, the Telo to make myself familiar with how to basically control a drone. Got the Mavic Sunday and I haven't even unpacked it yet.

I live right on the edge of a no fly zone courtesy of Sywell aerodrome. For the moment stick to the drone code and stay out of no fly zones is my advice, and I'm thinking to myself, lucky you, you've got beautiful scenery right on your doorstep, beaches not that far away. Stick to public spaces, open country, beaches and if I was you I'd stay well away from crowds for at least a year. Hell, you've got plenty to film without seeking crowded events that should really be no fly zones and may temporarily be so, priority given to emergency service helicopters. Have fun and good luck.

Welcome Aboard! And enjoy your stay here, there is a wealth of information to be had here so take your time and enjoy reading all the great stuff you can do, :) Feel free to ask any questions you may have.
Have a great one and happy flying :)

Welcome to the forum .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .Thumbswayup

Here it is

Attachments

• 69FF5040-1DD8-4A59-B64C-2BE7AE311703.jpeg
    69FF5040-1DD8-4A59-B64C-2BE7AE311703.jpeg
    780.7 KB · Views: 11
  • AC874B57-C703-4422-9993-5C2B4B7C2641.jpeg
    AC874B57-C703-4422-9993-5C2B4B7C2641.jpeg
    600 KB · Views: 12
  • 2A251656-1FDC-4E6F-8033-B902922D964F.jpeg
    2A251656-1FDC-4E6F-8033-B902922D964F.jpeg
    615.7 KB · Views: 12
  • A3DC9BE3-00E3-4DD1-A805-3987A461C259.jpeg
    A3DC9BE3-00E3-4DD1-A805-3987A461C259.jpeg
    677.2 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: joejaxvic123
Hi Kenny,

nice isn't it :)

Concerning your questions. Class D is a warning zone. I am in one where I fly here although I am 25nm from a helicopter base, however they do terrain following locally at times, hence the warning. You will get a warning on the Go app, you will have to tick a box and continue and be wary about your flying. Yes you should stay below 400' and within VLOS and by that I do not mean a spec on the horizon. You would need a licence and permission to fly in a ATZ and you can not in any case without entering an exception into the app. Drone code also specifies staying away from gatherings of people, so the show ground is also a no no and will probably be restricted when a show is on.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy your Air time.

Hi Kenny,

nice isn't it :)

Concerning your questions. Class D is a warning zone. I am in one where I fly here although I am 25nm from a helicopter base, however they do terrain following locally at times, hence the warning. You will get a warning on the Go app, you will have to tick a box and continue and be wary about your flying. Yes you should stay below 400' and within VLOS and by that I do not mean a spec on the horizon. You would need a licence and permission to fly in a ATZ and you can not in any case without entering an exception into the app. Drone code also specifies staying away from gatherings of people, so the show ground is also a no no and will probably be restricted when a show is on.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy your Air time.
As I've stated, I thought the No Fly Drone app looked useful for this sort of information and others might be able to add to that recommendations.

I'm new to this as well but I've really looked into it. What I'm inclined to say to you is, think of yourself as a learner driver, or drone, learning to drive in a formula one car. Or in other words, take it slow. Yes it can do about 200 miles an hour but make sure you can handle 50mph first.

I bought two drones, Mavic and the £99 Telo, the Telo to make myself familiar with how to basically control a drone. Got the Mavic Sunday and I haven't even unpacked it yet.

I live right on the edge of a no fly zone courtesy of Sywell aerodrome. For the moment stick to the drone code and stay out of no fly zones is my advice, and I'm thinking to myself, lucky you, you've got beautiful scenery right on your doorstep, beaches not that far away. Stick to public spaces, open country, beaches and if I was you I'd stay well away from crowds for at least a year. ****, you've got plenty to film without seeking crowded events that should really be no fly zones and may temporarily be so, priority given to emergency service helicopters. Have fun and good luck.
I am just up the road from you, Little Cransley.

Hi everyone,

Welcome to Mavic Pilots from Dayton Ohio USA! Enjoy your new Mavic Air, I love mine. Fly safe and have fun!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143