DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My Mavic flew off today in the NV wilderness

utahlasvegas

Reactions
Hi, I've had my Mavic for about a week now and was flying this evening at a beautiful little spot north of Lake Mead. I had it out almost a mile away while sunset was lighting up these red rock formations. Then, the app lit up and said that my battery was getting cold, so I hit the return to home button, and it vanished. I got a little lost trying to find it because it became dark, & it took me 3 hours to find my truck.

I don't think I'm going to be able to find the drone. I bought Dji Care, but I don't think it covers lost drones, right? I'm trying to decide if I'm going to go back and look for it again tomorrow.

Any suggestions? I guess I should have thought about putting a tracking device on it.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I think @msinger might hopefully be able to help you out. There is a way to extract some data from either your RC or phone (can't remember which), but I know he is the man to contact.

Hopefully you find it!

Reactions: Lee Hughes
Reactions: Spondon
Thanks! I'm not sure how to access the flight log, but I did watch the video on my phone and can see where it was last recording. Hopefully it's not crashed on the top of a big and steep rock that I know I can't climb.

Thanks! I'm camping in the back of my truck in the freezing cold and am going to go back tomorrow morning to look for it. There's a picture on the map that's not where I lost contact. I have a handheld gps, and I'll turn it on this time so I don't get lost. The footage on my phone looks really pretty. Hopefully I can find it.

Reactions: FPVJunkie
Good luck with the search. If I was nearby I would offer to fly my Mavic Pro and help with reconnaissance. Perhaps post in the Regional Forum section here for the area that you are in and see if any other drone pilots can assist with an aerial search of the area where it was last seen. You can cover more ground that way.

If its on top of a steep cliff then drone with a hook time.

Handheld GPS is a good start.

I have StateFarm and it insures every aspect of the Mavic Pro. 60 a year.

Keep us posted as we all like recovery stories.

This is a dumb question, but when I watch a replay of the flight and map on the dji go app, are those numbers the latitude and longitude? If so, it looks like I should try entering them into my little Garmin for the last known location.

Reactions: FPVJunkie
58939131adc085acb0b6781b2b44e7b5.jpg

I would definitely try entering it into the Garmin and trying it out! Hopefully it's generally in that same area as on your picture.

I crashed one of my race quads and spent like 3hrs climbing up and down this mountain, I finally found it after I was so tempted to give up, my Hero4 was attached to it, so I was determined to find it.

If it landed/ crashed slightly off to the right then negotiating that big crevasse is going to be dicey.

I know! It looks like there might be a way up about halfway down, but it might end up as a trophy for the desert.

I'm going on a scavenger hunt when i get back in town.... hahaha

I believe you need to hook up the phone to iTunes (assuming it's an iPhone, I don't know about others) then in the app section, then under documents, click on the Go app and you can get access to the flight records. I believe you want the txt file. If you upload to healthy drones you probably can get its last position. Good luck.

utahlasvegas, if you need help locating your Mavic, please upload your flight log here and post a link back here. If you're using an Apple device, you'll need to upload your flight log from a computer where iTunes is installed.

Reactions: pasta4r
Another one where O/A has stopped it dead in it's tracks no doubt. If you are that far away you really need to set a good RTH height and make sure that you turn off O/A at least until DJI tweak it to account for sun-flare (if they can at all) :)

Last edited:
Hi, I've had my Mavic for about a week now and was flying this evening at a beautiful little spot north of Lake Mead. I had it out almost a mile away while sunset was lighting up these red rock formations. Then, the app lit up and said that my battery was getting cold, so I hit the return to home button, and it vanished. I got a little lost trying to find it because it became dark, & it took me 3 hours to find my truck.

I don't think I'm going to be able to find the drone. I bought Dji Care, but I don't think it covers lost drones, right? I'm trying to decide if I'm going to go back and look for it again tomorrow.

Any suggestions? I guess I should have thought about putting a tracking device on it.

Why were you flying it a mile away? FAA regulations say you must fly within vlos at all times.
If you were flying around Red Rocks then you were doing so illegally as it is a National Park. I tried a few years ago and the Ranger stopped me.
Hopefully, you will learn from this and never fly beyond vlos!

Reactions: Spondon and halley
What's wrong with people always hitting the RTH button at the first message they receive? RTH is your best option in one and only case, if you've lost complete contact as in no more in sight AND no more video feed. In any other case you'll always do a better job flying it yourself.

I'm not at Red Rock. I'm at a BLM wilderness site north of Lake Mead. I am a total noob tho... only been flying for a week.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3