DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My Mavic just flew into a wall!

yymavyy

Reactions
Hey guys,

I was flying outside today- really close to the drone. I positioned the drone and prepared to take a shot. As I looked up, the mavic was flying towards a wall!

It was at least 15-20m from the wall but in a fit of panic, I didn't want to hit any of the sticks incase I hit the wrong one.

I figured the sensors would prevent a collision.
It happened SO fast. Boom!

Crashed into the wall!
Here is my data log. Much if it is self explanatory, but can anyone see anything that will tell me why the drone got a brain of its own?

Not sure if this is for insurance or DJI direct.

DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Many thanks in advance

I would find a place with a better satellite count.

Reactions: dewster
At several points the GPS signal had issues and you got a "GPS NO MATCH" error. I think the last time we saw one of these was when the Mavic was surrounded by buildings and it did the same thing as yours.

It seems to happen due to reflected GPS signals being picked up by the mavic. It confuses the system because at one point in time it gets a reading that it is at position X and in a few milliseconds it gets a reading that it totally different without stick input. I think the craft tries to head back to what it thinks is the correct position.

Rob

Last edited:
Reactions: MrsTreat
Hey guys,

I was flying outside today- really close to the drone. I positioned the drone and prepared to take a shot. As I looked up, the mavic was flying towards a wall!

It was at least 15-20m from the wall but in a fit of panic, I didn't want to hit any of the sticks incase I hit the wrong one.

Crashed into the wall!
Here is my data log. Much if it is self explanatory, but can anyone see anything that will tell me why the drone got a brain of its own?

Many thanks in advance

Tell us a little bit more about where you were flying. Was the wall really the side of a large metal building. Something was causing a lot of interference with your signal.

GPS has nothing to do with collision avoidance. Only the two sensors in front are working.
1. did you fly backward?
2. was the wall made of reflective material or glass (windows)?
3. did you fly in Sports mode?

Any one of the 3 can cause the crash

At several points the GPS signal had issues and you got a "GPS NO MATCH" error. I think the last time we saw one of these was when the Mavic was surrounded by buildings and it did the same thing as yours.

It seems to happen due to reflected GPS signals being picked up by the mavic. It confuses the system because at one point in time it gets a reading that it is at position X and in a few milliseconds it gets a reading that it totally different without stick input. I think the craft tries to head back to what it thinks is the correct position.

Rob
Do you talk about my case? Crashed my Mavic, but why? Can someone help?

Rob

This sounds logical. Thanks mate. Do you think I'll be covered under warranty?

Tell us a little bit more about where you were flying. Was the wall really the side of a large metal building. Something was causing a lot of interference with your signal.

So I was in an area where there is a lot of building work going on. The wall looked concrete, to be honest, I'm not sure how much metal was around. I have flown there before with no issues at all.

No, not that one because I know I posted in the threads that I am referring to. In yours only Budwalker responded. I remember in one of them the guy was flying low between three high rise buildings.

YYMAVY should upload the DAT file from his crash. It will at least give us more info.

How to retrieve a .DAT

Rob

.DAT file
FLY045.DAT

Last edited:
This sounds logical. Thanks mate. Do you think I'll be covered under warranty?

Unfortunately I do not think so. DJI will say you chose the area to fly in etc etc.

I will take a look at the DAT file as soon as I get a chance.

Rob

Hey guys,

Crashed into the wall!

Many thanks in advance
DJI will say it's your fault !!! cause if you see logs youll remark that drone passed to ATTI mode(cause you are in a zone that have a bad Satellite coverage I think) and in DJI Notice , they say in ATTI Mode all sensors are off, fly with caution, then you got the warning dude !!
And also you should know that when Joystick vibrate, than the flying mode had changed, you should directly look to which flying mode your in.
in Atti mode the drone will not be hovering in a fixed place, he will be same as the chinese drones, very hard to fly, if piloted by a beginner. you should be very careful
Sorry man but unfortunately its 100% on you.
also I remarked a problem with IMU altitude, when in atti mode cant say if it's normal.

Last edited:
How many satellites were you flying with? Come on you should have known from reading the manual that's a bad sign.

Then we have multi ATTI modes as listed in your flight data - again major issue. You should have raised the bird and brought her back to home as safely as possible - not easy in ATTI but again your fault.

This is 101% operator error. Nothing to do with DJI. I've gone through your entire flight data, and you was suffering major signal interference in a mass built up area. That to me as an experienced drone builder and flyer tells me you've not read the manuals. Your fault, not DJI's, read the manuals and quit moaning over your own mistake!

MANUALS https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/mav...lligent+Flight+Battery+Safety+Guides+(EN).pdf
https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/mavic/Mavic+Pro+User+Manual+V1.0.pdf

PS. I highly doubt you'll get much luck from DJI. Did you take out insurance?

Your own fault matey, I've no sympathy.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143