DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My Mavic Mini is out of control

apeink

Reactions
So, I’m a filmmaker but am new to drones. I went out the other day and bought the new Mavic Mini so I can learn how to use drones and stuff in filmmaking. I watched quite a few tutorials, tried flying inside and it was perfectly fine. Could control it great and use all the controls properly.

BUT, when I took it outside it was a different story. I tried to hover the drone and literally had its own mind. It started flying all over the place and then eventually crashed into a bush. So I then tried calibrating and all that jazz, took it outside and the same thing happened again.

I did get a message saying there wasn’t a strong GPS signal so it can’t “hover” and also it was fairly dark outside when I was testing it. Could this have anything to do with it? What am I doing wrong? Someone help me pls ?

*Note* it wasn’t windy outside at all

So, I’m a filmmaker but am new to drones. I went out the other day and bought the new Mavic Mini so I can learn how to use drones and stuff in filmmaking. I watched quite a few tutorials, tried flying inside and it was perfectly fine. Could control it great and use all the controls properly.

BUT, when I took it outside it was a different story. I tried to hover the drone and literally had its own mind. It started flying all over the place and then eventually crashed into a bush. So I then tried calibrating and all that jazz, took it outside and the same thing happened again.

I did get a message saying there wasn’t a strong GPS signal so it can’t “hover” and also it was fairly dark outside when I was testing it. Could this have anything to do with it? What am I doing wrong? Someone help me pls ?

Calibration isn’t a cure all. Some research on that subject may be beneficial.

Reactions: scooot
This happened to my DJI Spark one time. This due to interference with a cell phone transmissiontower on top of the church.
Interference is common in urban areas.
If there was any interference from the cell phone tower, the worst it could do would be to swamp your signal and trigger RTH.
Cell phone towers won't cause flight problems at all and the cell phone tower had nothing to do with your problem.
Your flight incident was due to something else.

Calibration isn’t a cure all. Some research on that subject may be beneficial.

Totally agree and in some cases makes things much worse.I learned my lesson with a phantom 3 standard when I tried to recalibrate because I was led to believe it was a must do.

Make sure you have GPS lock before takeoff?

Reactions: Capt KO
I did get a message saying there wasn’t a strong GPS signal so it can’t “hover” and also it was fairly dark outside when I was testing it.

You saw the message saying that it was unable to hover due to lack of GPS positioning, and you are asking why it didn't hover?

Has anyone explored the log structure of the DJI Fly app yet?

Reactions: Lastrexking
I used my Iphone 6S plus and using the Apple Files App found a folder called DJI, and there where my flight logs and other stuff as well.

Reactions: sar104
That's right, you didn't have GPS capability, which keeps the drone stable.
And as it was getting dark, the VPS system also struggled.
You were most likely in atti mode, not the best situation to be in for a new drone flyer.
Here’s your answer. Never take off without full gps. It’s the reason most people lose their drone.

When I fly inside it never has any GPS and it hovers fine?
It uses sensors in doors to hold position. They don’t work outdoors in open areas where you DO need GPS. Or else you’re flying Atti mode and you better be good.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roligtroll