DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My mini 2 completely shorted and destroyed after ribbon cable replacement... What happened?

Kywon McCain

⭐Smooth Operator⭐
Premium Pilot
Reactions
After like my dad wasting 100 dollars to help me replace a IMU that I thought didn't need to be replaced, I thought a ribbon cable would work

But when I put it in and turn it on the gimbal started smoking and I had to take the battery out

Now nothing works correctly my mini 2 is done for and I'll never fly a DJI drone again because I'm poor and I can't afford it

First my mavic pro now my mini 2
I'm just at a loss I even cried over this
What even happened

• Sad
Reactions: Yaros
@Kywon McCain sorry to hear about your drone being fried
unfortunately these drones are very complicated electronic devices ,and unless you are really experienced at taking them apart and repairing them ,its best left to the experts to do such repairs ,also they ,as you have found out are not cheap to buy or look after and you need funds to be able to keep them in tip top condition ,that is the down side of drone ownership ,thats probably why many of the people on this forum ,tend to be like me retired from working life ,and therefor have both the time and means, to be able to fly ,what are expensive toys to many ,
in this day and age nothing of quality is cheap anymore , good luck with whatever life's rocky road takes you in the future

I can only echo Old Man Mavic's post. I studied electronic engineering and computer sciences in college and will not attempt to repair one of these drones. We have no schematics, no specialized tools, etc. that a repair center would have. Many failure modes are not at all intuitive. Failures can involved multiple components and guessing at the most likely component can become more expensive than sending the drone to a repair facility. I'm sorry to hear of your experience and hope you will once fly again.

I can only echo Old Man Mavic's post. I studied electronic engineering and computer sciences in college and will not attempt to repair one of these drones. We have no schematics, no specialized tools, etc. that a repair center would have. Many failure modes are not at all intuitive. Failures can involved multiple components and guessing at the most likely component can become more expensive than sending the drone to a repair facility. I'm sorry to hear of your experience and hope you will once fly again.
At this point, pray for me pls

My mini 2 was gifted by someone
He's probably disappointed in me
It's rare to find people like that person

Don’t give up on such a fun hobby and potential money making source. Had your drone been previously worked on by the one who gifted it to you? Also, curious as to why the IMU and ribbon needed to be replaced. There are times when “I don’t know what I don’t know“ situations present themselves to all of us. I’ve learned through life’s school of hard knocks (which I have a PHD in, by the way) it’s a better move to seek someone who does know what they are doing and pay them to solve a problem. A vast majority of the time, it takes way less time and is cheaper in the long run. Again, don’t give up on such a fun flying experience.

Don’t give up on such a fun hobby and potential money making source. Had your drone been previously worked on by the one who gifted it to you? Also, curious as to why the IMU and ribbon needed to be replaced. There are times when “I don’t know what I don’t know“ situations present themselves to all of us. I’ve learned through life’s school of hard knocks (which I have a PHD in, by the way) it’s a better move to seek someone who does know what they are doing and pay them to solve a problem. A vast majority of the time, it takes way less time and is cheaper in the long run. Again, don’t give up on such a fun flying experience.
No, he directly bought it for me
The imu needed replacing because the drone was drifting

It's not that I wanna give up, it's that I my family is poor and I live in the hood
I can't replace my drone because no money

Send to DJI for repair or sell off the accessories to recoupe some lost money
I just wanna try to get one of those things where it's just the drone with no batteries or remote or anything but it's too hard

There is little point in guessing what needs to be replaced in these drones, they are simply too complicated. Plus knowledge of precisely how the electronics interact/work is not available to us mere mortals.
About the only thing we can/could reliably detect in these things is physical damage and even then that can be difficult unless you know what to look for and where to look.
I have a lot more experience than you and it took be several rebuilds to find all the physcial damage done in a bad crash with a Mavic 2 and there is still a displaced ventialtion grill that needs fixing.

Best bet for you would be to, right at the start without you attempting any DIY stuff, send a damaged/malfunctioning drone in to somewhere for repair.
Given what I have seen of DJI's repair prices it would probably be cheaper, for all concerned, too.

As to what happened, how can anyone tell?

Reactions: GFields
My mavic 3 took a swim in the ocean. I sent to DJI for repair. And it was half the cost to repair vs buying a drone only
Oh
I messed up the warranty on mine by trying to fix it... I'm just so sad I even cried last night

Oh
I messed up the warranty on mine by trying to fix it... I'm just so sad I even cried last night
Given your experience with the mavic why did you even contemplate a DIY repair on a drone that was under warranty?

Last edited:
Reactions: maggior
Never thought a loss of a drone would break me
It's almost like loosing a pet

Time to start shoveling snow off people's driveways, stairs, and sidewalks.
Here there's really isn't any driveways stairs or sidewalks. It's just a alley

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S