DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My Obstacle Avoidance is Aces (don't let this happen to you)

Blucenturion

Reactions
Flying back via map, and didn't realize how close to the cliff face the bird was till the last sec. Just as I became aware, the Controller went crazy with BEEEEEEEPPPPPP! That was close!

Reactions: Wacker2611
Flying back via map, and didn't realize how close to the cliff face the bird was till the last sec. Just as I became aware, the Controller went crazy with BEEEEEEEPPPPPP! That was close!

Wow. A Close Encounter of the BIRD Kind.

As an aside, I liked your smooth footage on the way to the cliff. That's the smoothness the Mavic is quite capable of offering to its users when they take the time to set it up properly and fly accordingly

But more to the point, your video offers great proof that the built-in systems in the Mavic - including its excellent OA abilities - DO work. In my estimation, they do their job quite admirably and give us incredible flying possibilities as long as we understand the alerts and input we are constantly getting from the Mavic and controller, keep our wits about us, and then react accordingly, while staying within the Mavic's hardware and software limits and using its equipment and features as designed by DJI engineers. It's one great machine that is a pleasure to fly, with a decrease in its intimidation factor every time you take it to the air.

Good responses on your part near that cliff and glad it was just a close call. Happy flying and thanks for sharing.

Wow. A Close Encounter of the BIRD Kind.

As an aside, I liked your smooth footage on the way to the cliff. That's the smoothness the Mavic is quite capable of offering to its users when they take the time to set it up properly and fly accordingly

But more to the point, your video offers great proof that the built-in systems in the Mavic - including its excellent OA abilities - DO work. In my estimation, they do their job quite admirably and give us incredible flying possibilities as long as we understand the alerts and input we are constantly getting from the Mavic and controller, keep our wits about us, and then react accordingly, while staying within the Mavic's hardware and software limits and using its equipment and features as designed by DJI engineers. It's one great machine that is a pleasure to fly, with a decrease in its intimidation factor every time you take it to the air.

Good responses on your part near that cliff and glad it was just a close call. Happy flying and thanks for sharing.
Thanks for responding so positively; rather than being intimidated by the experience, I left elated, because I can return and learn from my mistake and carry that forward to any other operations near tall obstructions, and oh yeah, keep track of exactly WHERE my a/c is. The problem started when I flew southward along the beach and made a 180, and intended to bring it Home, but it flew right past me northbound and was way the hell and gone before I realized it. Hit RTH, but since Home was 150' below the ridge line, it made a beeline after climbing to RTH altitude. The beeline had a cliff midway.

Gotcha. You had quite a few hairy, last minute things thrown your way that could have ended your flight badly, but you obviously kept your head about you and took control of the aircraft and situation to totally avoid a bad outcome. You didn't freak out. Thumbs up to you for that.

My Father had his private pilot's license for the single-engine Cherokee Piper Cub he flew my family in for years and taught me how to fly in case of an in-air emergency. He always said, "Any landing you can walk away from is a GOOD landing!" I think the same applies to drones, too!

I just ordered the Mavic. So, the obstacle avoidance will automatically keep you away from obstacles? Or it alerts you and you have to maneuver it around? Sorry to say I have run into things with my P3A.....

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

The sensors will detect hard objects in front of the craft and you can select in the app what you want it to do when it detects something . Stop and hover or to back up or to climb over . This was lucky however that it went just over that tree and saw the cliff as usually it will fly into tree limbs without a lot of foliage before it detects it .

Last edited:
Sorry, don't remember. Ihit stop
I just ordered the Mavic. So, the obstacle avoidance will automatically keep you away from obstacles? Or it alerts you and you have to maneuver it around? Sorry to say I have run into things with my P3A.....

I'd have to read the manual, I can't remember. I think the response just given is probably your answer.

Reactions: Huskerfan

The Mavic employs two very accurate and far-reaching sensor systems that provide a great deal of obstacle avoidance help, downward and forward, to Mavic pilots. It has 2 front sensors and 2 bottom sensors for OA, as well as an optical (camera) avoidance system built-in, too. In addition to preserving the GPS coordinates of where the aircraft was situated during takeoff, that same optical system actually records an image of your home point and preserves it, allowing the RTH mode to bring the craft back to the exact takeoff home point with amazing accuracy as it compares the photo it took of the home point site during takeoff and matches it with images of its landing site until it is satisfied they are the same and then lands. Amazing to me.

While there are no side sensors to protect you laterally with regards to OA - which is why pilots still have to carefully man the controls when flying through tighter areas, such as those where trees having small, fine branches abound that may avoid OA detection are, as well as fully understand the limitations of the Mavic's object avoidance abilities and work within those limits - the Mavic's OA system does assist pilots avoid crashes a great deal when approaching objects head on, even when flying at a great distance. This system also gives protection when landing as well - even in the event of an emergency landing situation - as it will hover if it has to if its OA system detects something and the Mavic will wait for you to tell it what to do as long as you have adequate battery power.

When the Mavic is coming in fast and detects an object, it quickly comes to a halt with amazing braking power at a safe distance. If you have it in any of the modes in which it is tracing you, or in its POI or profile modes, etc., the aircraft will perform an excellent job doing just what it promises to do in those modes and will avoid whatever comes in its path to do so, flying above, around or doing whatever it has to in order to keep its subject in frame but also maintain aircraft safety.

Personally, I've remained impressed with my Mavic since I got it, and that feeling has not diminished one bit no matter how many flights I've taken with it. It is a true pleasure to fly, amazingly stable even in high winds, precise, responsive, discreet, easy to transport, and at the top of the list of the best drones currently available to the market in which we fall. In short, what is there not to love about it?

Reactions: Huskerfan
The Mavic employs two very accurate and far-reaching sensor systems that provide a great deal of obstacle avoidance help, downward and forward, to Mavic pilots. It has 2 front sensors and 2 bottom sensors for OA, as well as an optical (camera) avoidance system built-in, too. In addition to preserving the GPS coordinates of where the aircraft was situated during takeoff, that same optical system actually records an image of your home point and preserves it, allowing the RTH mode to bring the craft back to the exact takeoff home point with amazing accuracy as it compares the photo it took of the home point site during takeoff and matches it with images of its landing site until it is satisfied they are the same and then lands. Amazing to me.

While there are no side sensors to protect you laterally with regards to OA - which is why pilots still have to carefully man the controls when flying through tighter areas, such as those where trees having small, fine branches abound that may avoid OA detection are, as well as fully understand the limitations of the Mavic's object avoidance abilities and work within those limits - the Mavic's OA system does assist pilots avoid crashes a great deal when approaching objects head on, even when flying at a great distance. This system also gives protection when landing as well - even in the event of an emergency landing situation - as it will hover if it has to if its OA system detects something and the Mavic will wait for you to tell it what to do as long as you have adequate battery power.

When the Mavic is coming in fast and detects an object, it quickly comes to a halt with amazing braking power at a safe distance. If you have it in any of the modes in which it is tracing you, or in its POI or profile modes, etc., the aircraft will perform an excellent job doing just what it promises to do in those modes and will avoid whatever comes in its path to do so, flying above, around or doing whatever it has to in order to keep its subject in frame but also maintain aircraft safety.

Personally, I've remained impressed with my Mavic since I got it, and that feeling has not diminished one bit no matter how many flights I've taken with it. It is a true pleasure to fly, amazingly stable even in high winds, precise, responsive, discreet, easy to transport, and at the top of the list of the best drones currently available to the market in which we fall. In short, what is there not to love about it?
that's quite a review of OA. Thanks a lot! I sure wouldn't want to test it out by running the thing into a wall. haha

Reactions: CC Rider
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlaut