DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My recent trip to Patong Beach in Phuket Thailand

LeRoytheBoy

Reactions
My recent trip to Patong Beach in Phuket Thailand.
Overnight a Tall Ship sailed into the harbour.
I got about 3/4 of the way out to it before the signal was starting to play up.
So being relatively new at this I decided to turn around and come back in.
Sorry no music yet as I'm still learning to edit.
Video was taken at 5 pm on November 16th 2019.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1buddyc and Bobvt
I edited the thread title and added your video to your original post for ya :)

Thanks for sharing. Glad you did not push the distance on the drone, where you stood a chance to loose it. I would have also been worried about the para glider
going back and forth in front of you.

Thanks for sharing. Glad you did not push the distance on the drone, where you stood a chance to loose it. I would have also been worried about the para glider
going back and forth in front of you.
Turns out I was always well above the Paragliders. They were always at about 30 meters above sea level. I made sure I wasn't going in for the kill at about 80 meters.

One thing I would like to ask is. I recently saw a YouTube VDO about a set of car keys, when held near a container of water, the signal strength distance for opening the car door is enhanced 5 fold for opening a car door. It has something to do with changing the wave length of the signal emitted.

Is the signal strength between a drone and its remote enhanced when flying over water.???
When flying over water, will you fly further if you fly lower to the water.????

Last edited:
I have been to Patong beach many times, I’ll probably take my MM on my next trip. Any issues with security checks or anything traveling with your Mini to Thailand?

Thanks for sharing

Reactions: SnoopyMJG
Some suggestions. As a new pilot shooting video, adjust your settings to smooth out the drone movement and gimbal tilt. First rule for filming , IMO, fly straight. Do not use the left joystick to change orientation. It always looks bad. If you feel the need to change orientation, do it quickly, then fly straight. Better yet, just fly straight regardless of being offline. Either way, cut out the quick moves of drone and gimbal when you edit the video clips into something... shorter.
First moves you should work on (after softening the gimbal movement and response) is elevation change with gimbal tilt maintaining axis between the camera and center point of rotation (like a POI on a vertical plane). Add forward/backward movement and you’ve got a 3 finger (2 thumbs/1 finger) combination move that always looks cool. Gimbal tilt down is accompanied by increase in elevation and vice versa.

Reactions: Jet skier
I have been to Patong beach many times, I’ll probably take my MM on my next trip. Any issues with security checks or anything traveling with your Mini to Thailand?

Thanks for sharing
Hi miker570,
The general LEGAL requirements for flying a Drone in Thailand are:-

If your drone has a camera, you are required to be licensed and Insured. You can obtain a license from the CAAT {Civil Aviation Authority Thailand} that is if they will answer your email. I emailed them 3 times and never recv'd a response.

You are forbidden to fly in any Thailand National Park. It's such a pity, because these are pristine parks. There are NO Fly Drone signs posted everywhere around these parks.

I was holidaying in Patong, Phuket. Fortunately my hotel was across the road from the beach. My hotel had a roof top pool. I emailed the Hotel and asked permission to fly from the roof, as long as it didn't upset anybody around me. They granted me that permission, but advised me about the legal requirements and Licensing laws. My thinking was if anybody on the beach reported my drone in flight, once I flew back over the road to the hotel, they lose sight of it. I got away with it.
I only had 1 person who complained to me when I flew from the beach. You have to appreciate that some people are scared of these things. Have respect for those people around you.

I am of the belief that if you just happen to be going to Pattaya, you can purchase the license in one of their many shopping malls. I have no idea which one.!!!

Where are you going in Thailand. ?????

That video was taken with my Mavic Air with a ND 16 lense filter.
Hope this helps you.

LeRoy

Hi miker570,
The general LEGAL requirements for flying a Drone in Thailand are:-

If your drone has a camera, you are required to be licensed and Insured. You can obtain a license from the CAAT {Civil Aviation Authority Thailand} that is if they will answer your email. I emailed them 3 times and never recv'd a response.

You are forbidden to fly in any Thailand National Park. It's such a pity, because these are pristine parks. There are NO Fly Drone signs posted everywhere around these parks.

I was holidaying in Patong, Phuket. Fortunately my hotel was across the road from the beach. My hotel had a roof top pool. I emailed the Hotel and asked permission to fly from the roof, as long as it didn't upset anybody around me. They granted me that permission, but advised me about the legal requirements and Licensing laws. My thinking was if anybody on the beach reported my drone in flight, once I flew back over the road to the hotel, they lose sight of it. I got away with it.
I only had 1 person who complained to me when I flew from the beach. You have to appreciate that some people are scared of these things. Have respect for those people around you.

I am of the belief that if you just happen to be going to Pattaya, you can purchase the license in one of their many shopping malls. I have no idea which one.!!!

Where are you going in Thailand. ?????

That video was taken with my Mavic Air with a ND 16 lense filter.
Hope this helps you.

LeRoy

Hey guys I’m going to Patong in January and also again in May after I go to Cambodia, now I know Thailand has some pretty strict policies drones flying around but can I ask did you take yours there without any licences? Or buy yours there?

I’m asking cos I wanted to take my Mavic Air to Cambodia but worried if I come back to Thailand with it in my luggage and not have the required tickets.... it’s really not work the time and hassle for me to bring it in January although I would love to. If you got any suggestions throw them this way thatnks guys

I was not aware of the strict drone laws in Thailand, thanks for the great info.

I travel a lot and have been to Thailand about a dozen times, also been to Laos and Vietnam.

In Phuket 500 baht will get you out of trouble for most things. Very common to see foreigners getting stopped by the police for riding rented motorbikes without a license or for no helmet.

I have seen Chinese tourists flying drones on the beach frequently, but they were probably unaware or didn’t care of the restrictions.

Too bad drones aren’t allows in the National parks, I was at Khao Yai park near Korat in August. Beautiful waterfalls and wildlife. I suspect the ban is for the protection of wild monkeys and elephants that are common to see.

Again thanks for sharing all the info.

Happy travels !

0e42308516eed2ef0e49a731f64cc573.jpg

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S