DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My run-in with a security guard! (And other happy stories)

Qoncussion

Reactions
I see so many stories of neighbors and police who negatively interfere with drone flights. So I wanted to tip the scales a bit with a very brief encounter I had today. There is a field near Truckee, California, where I often fly. A security guard monitors a construction site in the field during the weekends. I was in the middle of a flight, when I saw him heading my way. The field is massive, so he had to traverse about a 1/4 mile to reach me. As he approached, I smiled and threw a very friendly, "Hello!" his way. He smiled, waived and returned a very friendly, "Hello." Upon reaching me, and while I was still in-flight, I asked him what he was up to. I was bearing down on my teeth, expecting some form of a lecture. He said, "I'm guarding the job site, but what you're doing looks way more fun!" so he hung out with me while I burned up a few batteries.

Oh sorry ~ no drama here. Just know that not everyone is out to get you :), and a smile goes a long way...

Last edited:
Glad your story had a happy ending.

I was flying one morning and was the only one at the park. I hear a car pull up right behind where I was standing and I thought, "Why did this car pull up so close to where I was standing when there is not a single other car in the lot?" I didnt turn around until I landed. I turned around and saw a county police car watching what I was doing. He waved hello and just pulled away. Just curious I guess.

I had a local cop stop when I was photographing a church one night, he saw the strobes and was curious. We had a nice chat about the Mavic and how it could be used in different situations by law enforcement

With all the crashes and angry encounters that show up on here, it’s sometimes hard to get a picture of what really happens.
It’s always refreshing to me to read posts like this.
We just need more people to post about the good times they have so we can balance all the rougher posts. Cool post!

Last edited:
With all the crashes and angry encounters that show up on, it’s simetimes hard to get a picture of what really happens.
It’s always refreshing to me to read posts like this. We need more people to post about the good times they have so we can balance all the rougher posts. Cool post!
I feel the same way, and needed to see something that didn't end in tragedy, or an off-topic battle.
Agreed!!
That is one reason that I seldom watch the news on TV.
I find myself shouting at the TV, "Didn't anything GOOD happen today?"
I stopped watching the news 20 years ago. I don't think I've missed anything :)

Thanks for the kind words, guys...

I was out flying this past weekend south of Vegas near Jean when a Highway Patrol State Trooper pulled up to me and asked if I was OK. I responded "yes Im just flying my drone. Thanks for checking on me". He sat for a second and watched as I took of. I gave him a "wing wag" and flew off and the trooper said have a nice day and drove off.

A job site in Truckee, California was recently robbed.
Police are confused as no security was present, although there are a 1/4 mile worth of boot prints heading into the direction of the nearest field.

The case continues.....
Uhm... Do you want to buy some copper wire, and a nail gun? I can make you a great deal!

I see so many stories of neighbors and police who negatively interfere with drone flights. So I wanted to tip the scales a bit with a very brief encounter I had today. There is a field near Truckee, California, where I often fly. A security guard monitors a construction site in the field during the weekends. I was in the middle of a flight, when I saw him heading my way. The field is massive, so he had to traverse about a 1/4 mile to reach me. As he approached, I smiled and threw a very friendly, "Hello!" his way. He smiled, waived and returned a very friendly, "Hello." Upon reaching me, and while I was still in-flight, I asked him what he was up to. I was bearing down on my teeth, expecting some form of a lecture. He said, "I'm guarding the job site, but what you're doing looks way more fun!" so he hung out with me while I burned up a few batteries.

Oh sorry ~ no drama here. Just know that not everyone is out to get you :). A smile goes a long way...
That has to be the most positive posting I've seen in a long time...thanx Mr Ambassador!

Glad your story had a happy ending.

I was flying one morning and was the only one at the park. I hear a car pull up right behind where I was standing and I thought, "Why did this car pull up so close to where I was standing when there is not a single other car in the lot?" I didnt turn around until I landed. I turned around and saw a county police car watching what I was doing. He waved hello and just pulled away. Just curious I guess.
Cops are people too

Reactions: bsevald
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803