DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My solution for mounting the 5.5 with a Mavic

ghedgepath

Reactions
A few days ago I ordered a mount for my 5.5 Crystalsky which arrived yesterday and a plate for the Mavic. While I was waiting I bought a USB C, right-angled connector, and some Velcro and mounted it on the controller arms. I went to the beach and flew and it was REALLY comfortable. This thing is awesome! I could see everything I need on the screen, at the beach, in the bright California sunlight. I suspect that when the plate and mount arrive I won't end up using them. For me this is the ultimate run and gun set up.

Attachments

• IMG_5027.jpg
    IMG_5027.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 478
  • IMG_5036.jpg
    IMG_5036.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 468
  • IMG_5042.jpg
    IMG_5042.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 470
  • IMG_5043.jpg
    IMG_5043.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 464
Last edited:
First I used an iPhone 6 with a two piece Hoodman sunshield. too small. Then I used an iPad mini 2 with a 2 piece Hoodman sunshield. It was ok. I shot an album cover using my Mavic by a pool on a very hot, sunny day. It worked but it got to be very warm sticking my face up to the Hoodman. Any small amount of light leaking in obscured what I was seeing. Plus, it's hard to stick your fingers inside the Hoodman without moving it. Sometimes the strap on the hood hits the power switch. The Cryatalsky just works. The Android operating system feels like it's not quite as snappy as the iPhone iOS but you only notice it when you click on an app or change screens. The display itself is really responsive. I got to the beach, set up. and was in the air in about 90 seconds. Pretty cool. Here's the album cover I shot previously. The pool and the model car were shot separately. We shot the toy car in the small pool on the right. All shot on the Mavic. Someone else did post on it to put them together.

Attachments

• IMG_0294.jpg
    IMG_0294.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
Looks good. What cable do I need for this? A right angled type C USB to.....

Looks good. What cable do I need for this? A right angled type C USB to.....

It doesn't have to be right angled, just USB to USB C. You can also go USB to Micro USB but the plug is on the left side and gets in the way.

That is exactly how I want mine mounted but with a plate holding it there above the arms. once my plate arrives tomorrow I will be working all weekend and a custom mount.

Reactions: basti
A few days ago I ordered a mount for my 5.5 Crystalsky which arrived yesterday and a plate for the Mavic. While I was waiting I bought a USB C, right-angled connector, and some Velcro and mounted it on the controller arms. I went to the beach and flew and it was REALLY comfortable. This thing is awesome! I could see everything I need on the screen, at the beach, in the bright California sunlight. I suspect that when the plate and mount arrive I won't end up using them. For me this is the ultimate run and gun set up.
That's quite simple, effective and secure as well as aesthetic pleasing. I'm in

Great idea. I'm now kicking myself for not thinking of this myself.

So sorry for the dumb question but I'd love to get a cable just like yours. Would you mind providing a link, or sharing the site from which you got the cable?

Sean

IMG_1310.JPG

So sorry for the dumb question but I'd love to get a cable just like yours. Would you mind providing a link, or sharing the site from which you got the cable?

Sean
Hi Sean. I know these are different. I found the best thing to do is on EBay search Short Angled Usd C. I got these from China. Takes about 3 weeks but they are cheap.
Good luck with your search.
Ps. I fly my Mavic with CS by the same method. Works like a treat

When holding it while flying does your left hand get hot as CS monitors heat up in the upper left corner? Seems to me while controlling the left joystick your hand would be wrapped around that corner of the CS?

First I used an iPhone 6 with a two piece Hoodman sunshield. too small. Then I used an iPad mini 2 with a 2 piece Hoodman sunshield. It was ok. I shot an album cover using my Mavic by a pool on a very hot, sunny day. It worked but it got to be very warm sticking my face up to the Hoodman. Any small amount of light leaking in obscured what I was seeing. Plus, it's hard to stick your fingers inside the Hoodman without moving it. Sometimes the strap on the hood hits the power switch. The Cryatalsky just works. The Android operating system feels like it's not quite as snappy as the iPhone iOS but you only notice it when you click on an app or change screens. The display itself is really responsive. I got to the beach, set up. and was in the air in about 90 seconds. Pretty cool. Here's the album cover I shot previously. The pool and the model car were shot separately. We shot the toy car in the small pool on the right. All shot on the Mavic. Someone else did post on it to put them together.
Outstanding,

Sean

I got mine at Frys electronics in Los Angeles.

Sean

This is a nice short 90 degree Type-C Cable which is actually made by DJI: DJI RC Cable Type C to Standard A (10″) – Part 25 | Advexure. Looks like we currently have them in stock.

Only wish the cable was white instead of black but it's the perfect length with 90 degree connector to keep things neat and snug.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143