DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My Travel Experience with Mavic Pro in China, Singapore and Malaysia

Wolfie52

Reactions
Just wanted to report on my travel experiences with my Mavic Pro. Previously I have flown commercial airlines with it in the US without problem or extra scrutiny.

I just completed a trip from the US to China, Singapore and Malaysia (Penang).

First, my experience with airports was relatively painless. I packed it, and my laptop in my backpack and always carried it with me. Some airports want "cameras" taken out for inspection (like laptops), prior to going through the X-ray/scanner. I had no problems with batteries or the drone itself--no red flags raised--just a PIA to take it out of my backpack. I had about 12 flights total, plus 1 HSR trip (China) where they do a security screen.

Second, my Mavic flying experiences:

SINGAPORE: I was able to take it out near the Marina Bay Sands and Gardens by the Bay in the harbor area of Singapore. I used a locals' NFZ map to determine where I could fly. I actually ended up in an empty field not realizing it was next to a power station! I got a notice of "magnetic interference" from my drone, thinking because I traveled so far it was just a compass calibration issue, I did a calibration and then flew. I was able to get some great video and shots of the downtown area and the Mavic flew fine. No one bothered me or asked what I was doing. I did exceed to height limits some (don't hate) but I got above the Marina Bay Sands (from a distance) to get some great shots. That hotel is awesome, with about 30 stories and the swimming pool on the roof.

CHINA: I did get a Chinese SIM w/a Chinese phone # so I could register if needed. I only flew twice; once in the mountains south of Chengdu near Leshan, Emei Mountain, Sichuan, where I had no issues or restrictions. I flew around Fuxian Lake (Yunnan) where I kept getting the message to get a code to fly by using a Mainland China phone number. I entered that with some difficulty, and when I was able to fly, I was limited to a height of 95' and could fly no more than about 150' away. I am not sure what caused the different experiences, but was just happy to be able to fly. I did not try to fly in the cities or the fantastic TianMenShan and Avatar mountain areas. There were so many people there and I did not want to risk losing my drone to zealous police or some mis-hap. It would have been fantastic to fly there but you get such a great view from above anyway, I just wanted to enjoy the views.

Penang, MALAYSIA: I flew with out any restrictions or problems on the north coast of the island, both over the sea and land. Some very nice scenery there.

In all areas the air pollution and general haze limited the visuals. Chinese cities are polluted and most of the time I was there it was cloudy as well.

I just write this as advise to anyone who wants to travel with the drone--you should have no worries. I used a small backpack to carry it with me (when i thought I might have a flight opp) and we did some long hilly walks and the Mavic is so lightweight it really didn't bother me.

I did get a Chinese SIM w/a Chinese phone # so I could register if needed.

Could you explain a bit more? We're scheduled for a China trip in Oct and I don't have a clue about bringing in and using a drone.

TIA!

Headed to Singapore for a cruise over the new year and bringing my mavic mini! Excited to use but nervous getting in trouble. How was it as far as others flying drones? Also can you fly around when they are doing light show?

Just wanted to report on my travel experiences with my Mavic Pro. Previously I have flown commercial airlines with it in the US without problem or extra scrutiny.

I just completed a trip from the US to China, Singapore and Malaysia (Penang).

First, my experience with airports was relatively painless. I packed it, and my laptop in my backpack and always carried it with me. Some airports want "cameras" taken out for inspection (like laptops), prior to going through the X-ray/scanner. I had no problems with batteries or the drone itself--no red flags raised--just a PIA to take it out of my backpack. I had about 12 flights total, plus 1 HSR trip (China) where they do a security screen.

Second, my Mavic flying experiences:

SINGAPORE: I was able to take it out near the Marina Bay Sands and Gardens by the Bay in the harbor area of Singapore. I used a locals' NFZ map to determine where I could fly. I actually ended up in an empty field not realizing it was next to a power station! I got a notice of "magnetic interference" from my drone, thinking because I traveled so far it was just a compass calibration issue, I did a calibration and then flew. I was able to get some great video and shots of the downtown area and the Mavic flew fine. No one bothered me or asked what I was doing. I did exceed to height limits some (don't hate) but I got above the Marina Bay Sands (from a distance) to get some great shots. That hotel is awesome, with about 30 stories and the swimming pool on the roof.

CHINA: I did get a Chinese SIM w/a Chinese phone # so I could register if needed. I only flew twice; once in the mountains south of Chengdu near Leshan, Emei Mountain, Sichuan, where I had no issues or restrictions. I flew around Fuxian Lake (Yunnan) where I kept getting the message to get a code to fly by using a Mainland China phone number. I entered that with some difficulty, and when I was able to fly, I was limited to a height of 95' and could fly no more than about 150' away. I am not sure what caused the different experiences, but was just happy to be able to fly. I did not try to fly in the cities or the fantastic TianMenShan and Avatar mountain areas. There were so many people there and I did not want to risk losing my drone to zealous police or some mis-hap. It would have been fantastic to fly there but you get such a great view from above anyway, I just wanted to enjoy the views.

Penang, MALAYSIA: I flew with out any restrictions or problems on the north coast of the island, both over the sea and land. Some very nice scenery there.

In all areas the air pollution and general haze limited the visuals. Chinese cities are polluted and most of the time I was there it was cloudy as well.

I just write this as advise to anyone who wants to travel with the drone--you should have no worries. I used a small backpack to carry it with me (when i thought I might have a flight opp) and we did some long hilly walks and the Mavic is so lightweight it really didn't bother me.
Know anything about Lankgowi... island off west coast of Malaysia?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minicopters