DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My TURN...I thought I was a proud owner of troubled free Mavic 2 Zoom

silverdragon

Reactions
I always made videos, so yesterday I decided to take photos instead...I decided to try out the Pano feature so the AC is brought up to 20 ft and the Pano starts and finishes. I then fly the AC 20 ft to the left and start the Pano again.... I notice the ACs rear LEDs are alternating red, green yellow, I forget which order but those 3 colors are flashing. So in order to bring the AC back to me I had to ascend 10 feet or so. Well, the AC start to go up and then when I released the stick the AC kept going up with no stick input. So I went throttle down and it descended until I let the stick go, it goes back up with no stick input. So i battled the AC to my landing spot and guess what.... as the drone was going down...hard landing... NO bottom sensors working... I finally shut down everything and restarted...the AC been flying ok since... I flew a least 10 times since ...but in a nutshell the drone has been a well behaved from day one...

I notice the ACs rear LEDs are alternating red, green yellow, I forget which order but those 3 colors are flashing.
Page 14 in your manual : Alternating red, green, yellow = Turning on and performing self-diagnostic test.
Have you looked at the recorded flight data?
That's a good idea when you aren't sure what caused an incident.

Your right about the data, I have to take the time and learn how to retrieve the recorded dat. Files along with data files so these great data readers can do the analysis.
But you say those color sequences RED, GREEN, YELLOW are (self diagnostic)...I would like to know why did it go into SDT in between a feature mode? Like Pano mode...I'll be honest, I almost has to change my skivvies...

Reactions: CJH92474
I always made videos, so yesterday I decided to take photos instead...I decided to try out the Pano feature so the AC is brought up to 20 ft and the Pano starts and finishes. I then fly the AC 20 ft to the left and start the Pano again.... I notice the ACs rear LEDs are alternating red, green yellow, I forget which order but those 3 colors are flashing. So in order to bring the AC back to me I had to ascend 10 feet or so. Well, the AC start to go up and then when I released the stick the AC kept going up with no stick input. So I went throttle down and it descended until I let the stick go, it goes back up with no stick input. So i battled the AC to my landing spot and guess what.... as the drone was going down...hard landing... NO bottom sensors working... I finally shut down everything and restarted...the AC been flying ok since... I flew a least 10 times since ...but in a nutshell the drone has been a well behaved from day one...
Was the drone still in pano mode when you tried taking manual control. Like the pano process had not completed?

Was it dark out?

This is related, but not directly related to the drone's issue, rather photography.
I used to do video; only. Then, about a year a go, I began taking photographs as well. You may have already noticed that the photographs have greater resolution, 12MP vs 8MP.
There is a technique in which you can make the photos appear to be 'videos'. The result is called cinemagraphics. Ken Burns made this technique famous. Essentially, the image appears to be zoomed into, or a way from. This can be done quickly or slowly. The free software Davinci Resolve makes this available as Dynamic Zoom in the inspector mode of the Edit panel.
Just FYI, in the case you are interested.

Well, the AC start to go up and then when I released the stick the AC kept going up with no stick input. So I went throttle down and it descended until I let the stick go, it goes back up with no stick input. So i battled the AC to my landing spot and guess what.... as the drone was going down...hard landing

This is exactly how a drone behaves when in full Manual Mode. Not ATTI but Manual. I don't know how to get M2 into ATTI mode (it is no longer an easy option on M2) let alone Manual Mode.

I have a Hubsan "practice drone" that switches into ATTI and Manual Modes and use that drone to practice my flying skills. Manual Mode is really hard to control. Kudos on getting your AC down safely! Clean skivvies and all!

No idea how your M2 got into this mode. But knowing how to control the craft when GPS is lost etc. is really helpful.

This is exactly how a drone behaves when in full Manual Mode. Not ATTI but Manual. I don't know how to get M2 into ATTI mode (it is no longer an easy option on M2) let alone Manual Mode.

I have a Hubsan "practice drone" that switches into ATTI and Manual Modes and use that drone to practice my flying skills. Manual Mode is really hard to control. Kudos on getting your AC down safely! Clean skivvies and all!

No idea how your M2 got into this mode. But knowing how to control the craft when GPS is lost etc. is really helpful.

That's not manual mode since the aircraft was clearly controlling its attitude (pitch, roll and yaw). It's also not likely to be ATTI mode since there was not mention of it drifting. That makes it most likely a P mode, but without the log files anything beyond that is pure speculation.

It's relatively trivial to put the M2 into ATTI mode or manual mode by adjusting the fswitch parameters using DJI Assistant 2.

No, it was day light. Pano mode was completely finished, come to think of it I might of been in the mode but the Pano picture taking was finished. I'm going to a open field to reenact that flight. I hope not to screw this up.

a) … I forget which order but those 3 colors are flashing.
b) I went throttle down and it descended until I let the stick go, it goes back up with no stick input.
My thoughts on the apparent glitchy flight ….
A) above … as said... all three lights are *power up and self test* - If you initiated your flight before all Green flashes (GPS okay)- who's to say what sequence loop it may have been busy with … I make an effort to only takeoff with 7 or more sats. (and slow flashing green)

B) (Above) - a Mind of its Own ? (probably Yes?) Your RC normally overrides any sequence on the drone. ie RTH or 5% Battery (Autoland) - can be stopped by Pushing the left stick Up - or an other Stick control- However unless the sequence is finally stopped the drone will resume to re-establish the program -
* When you tried controlling the drone - the PANO mode may still have been in a sequence - (and to do that maintains the Altitude) even over riding it by DOWNING the Left stick - may have attempted to climb to the previous altitude to resume the PANO-.
* Remember all special functions of software, ie waypoints 2 (even Litchi), Pano, Auto RTH, or initial SelfTest - are program sequences that intend to complete-
Your goal is to terminate that sequence if you need to resume full RC control-
Hope this helps

I'm going to a open field to reenact that flight. I hope not to screw this up.
If you want to see what was really happening, you need to look at the recorded flight data.
Your right about the data, I have to take the time and learn how to retrieve the recorded dat. Files along with data files so these great data readers can do the analysis.
This only takes a minute or two.
Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.

Reactions: Thomas B
This exchange has been very helpful. I’ve personally experienced (on my first or second flight) putting my MPP into RTH mode and fighting with the joy stick to prevent the drone from ascending too high where it was certain to hit tree branches. I know my RTH height is set at 60 feet. So I’m just saying it’s possible to control the drone (not easily) when the drone is on autopilot.

silverdragon, I have seen this occasionally, as said above this is normal during startup but should finish within 10secs or so. But I’ve had it go on longer as it did at the start of my Transport Canada flight review yesterday. Not sure what the issue is but in my case, I shut down everything and restarted at which point the only issue was a simple compass calibration. I was mortified at the time but I think it’s a bit like old PC computers, most problems are solved by rebooting.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigbrute