DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Myanmar/Burma issues.

JFangs

Reactions
Hello, I'm in the process of planning a trip to Myanmar in March. As usual, searching the web & this site, I got mixed signals. Even UAV coach/Trip Advisor aren't clear. Between 2017 & 2019, some people had their drones confiscated at the airport while others went into and out of the country without any issues. I even read 2 accounts of having a MoT guide present at all times yet Myanmar's website makes no mention of this. In fact, reading the official website (DCA Myanmar :) I found nothing outside of common sense such as restricted airspace of Airports, Military, Gov't buildings etc.

Anyone have any experience with drones in Myanmar withing last 6 months? We haven't planned the entire trip yet but it will require flying in from Kuala Lumper in Malaysia to Yangon. Next 2 weeks will be in Myanmar with Bagan & Mandalay being the only guaranteed visits, and possibility of some remote locations in Andaman sea. I will email MoT tonight but just wanted to check here first. Would appreciate any first hand experiences and/or advice. Thanks in advance.

JFangs... I have been to Myanmar many times, the last time, Feb 2020, with my drone. I shot some footage around the city but mostly in the countryside. I think the best policy is "don't ask, easier to get forgiven than to get permission." If you did have any problems with the police a nice $10 tip should make it go away. The airport is no problem (be sure to get an online visa b4 you go. You can get one in KL or BKK but it's a huge hassle, definately do the online one. I think you will need a hotel reservation to get it. Do it a month or two b4 you go.) There are police everywhere but I have never been hasseled. Stay clear of any kind of government or military properties. It is a military dictatorship but they seem to leave the people alone for the most part. I took a MP2 with me folded up in my backpack with 4 batteries & controller. Never had a problem in any airport, went through HKG, BKK, YGN, PNH without a second glance easily passed security in all those places. I had the batteries in Derblue lipo safe pouches, just in case. Charging the batteries was no problem, my charger stepped down the 220 voltage so I could plug into the wall. If you would like to see the video we made go to: www.housesofrefuge.global and click "play". Let me know if you have any more questions. [email protected]

Enjoy your trip! The Burmese people are amazing! A true joy! And the countryside is beautiful.

I have an old mavic air- small one. I have flown it a couple of times( holiday) in Dawei and Bagan, never in yangon. It has been lying unused for 4 years now and I want to give to my cousin in Thailand when I visit him coming week. Is there a chance that they will confiscate the drone at YGN airport or will they allow me to take it outside of Myanmar. Any suggestions please?

I just pack my drone in a bag with clothes. Myanmar & Thailand, and most other countries, never open bags. Just stay away from military, gov't & police places.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom