DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

National Parks/ National Recreation Area

mrwalleyeman

Reactions
So I know that flying in a National park is a big fat NO, and also flying in a National Recreation Area is also a big No.
so the question that comes out of this, is I am staying at the Fort Spokane Campground which is on the Lake Roosevelt National Recreation area, and the B4UFly app shows that I am clear for take off at the camp ground. Now the campground is run by the National Park Service. So in the pics it shows the blue dot which is my location and the grey/black dot shows where I am as well. Then the red below my location is part of the old Fort Spokane, and also above my dot and such shows the water for Lake Roosevelt which consist of the Spokane River and to where the mouth of the Spokane river into the Columbia River. and flying over any part of the lake is all a no fly zone.

So why would our not so wonderful FAA say it ok to fly at the campground when it should clearly not be?

Attachments

• B0B60099-96BE-4103-A841-DFA464C0A220.png
    B0B60099-96BE-4103-A841-DFA464C0A220.png
    542.8 KB · Views: 7
  • DF022C83-3FCF-4283-900B-953ADA6087F0.png
    DF022C83-3FCF-4283-900B-953ADA6087F0.png
    733.4 KB · Views: 7
  • FDC6BEE2-EEEE-4D3D-ACFC-FA5FAF96F30E.png
    FDC6BEE2-EEEE-4D3D-ACFC-FA5FAF96F30E.png
    629.6 KB · Views: 7
Only advice I could give you would be to contact the Nat'l Park Service and ask what the drone regs are for that area. Maybe see if they have any info on their website for your location? I did that recently at one of our state parks. I read the drone regs but wanted to get a confirmation from a person just to make sure. But, I'm a paranoid pilot, so, I try to go above and beyond for my personal comfort.

The app and others like it can lack quite a bit of information. It can be correct about the airspace, but not have all the information about the ground below that. There are so many rules about whether or not drones can be flown from different ground locations, and they are always changing, that keeping up with all of that can be almost impossible. I had a long (and fortunately very polite) conversation with a pair of State Park rangers recently about all this - I was flying from the Bicentennial Mall park in Nashville, and the apps I had checked said I was fine, but no, it's against the park rules.

Only the FAA controls the airspace. As long as you take off and land outside of the park boundaries, you can fly over the park if it is not in FAA restricted airspace.
Yes, just like regular aircraft that fly over the locating every day.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000