DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NavCanada just modifies the PART IX for Controlled Airspace

Cookedinlh

Reactions
Just got an email from Nav Canada that supercedes (Clarifies maybe) the PART IX by stating;

If you plan to operate your RPA in controlled airspace (Classes C, D or E), you must have a Transport Canada Pilot Certificate – Advanced Operations, and you must now obtain a written RPAS Flight Authorization from NAV CANADA, by submitting an RPAS Flight Authorization Request. This written authorization process replaces any previous email or telephone method and is now the only way to receive NAV CANADA authorization to fly your RPA in controlled airspace.

For more information or to submit an RPAS Flight Authorization Request, please visit our new RPAS webpage.

I thought it was going to be easier now with the regs 901.71 and the required info there . . . but now, June 1st there is more info required and NavCanada wants between 48 and 336 hrs (up to 14 days) "to Review" the request. That's going to make things pretty well impossible with that much planning when customers call and need something done on a certain date or . . "as soon as there's good weather"

Going to be interesting to see how this plays out. I have two pending jobs that don't neatly fall into such broad timeline delays.

so after all that testing and nonsense, you still have to get written permission and wait, just to go up and take some pictures within line of sight. is this not overkill?

yep . . .still second class citizens.

ridiculous. this will only encourage people that break the rules to keep breaking them. Who wants to buy a $2000 toy that you can't use unless you pre-plan a time and get approval for it..

Just got an email from Nav Canada that supercedes (Clarifies maybe) the PART IX by stating;

If you plan to operate your RPA in controlled airspace (Classes C, D or E), you must have a Transport Canada Pilot Certificate – Advanced Operations, and you must now obtain a written RPAS Flight Authorization from NAV CANADA, by submitting an RPAS Flight Authorization Request. This written authorization process replaces any previous email or telephone method and is now the only way to receive NAV CANADA authorization to fly your RPA in controlled airspace.

For more information or to submit an RPAS Flight Authorization Request, please visit our new RPAS webpage.

I thought it was going to be easier now with the regs 901.71 and the required info there . . . but now, June 1st there is more info required and NavCanada wants between 48 and 336 hrs (up to 14 days) "to Review" the request. That's going to make things pretty well impossible with that much planning when customers call and need something done on a certain date or . . "as soon as there's good weather"

Going to be interesting to see how this plays out. I have two pending jobs that don't neatly fall into such broad timeline delays.

This is demoralizing for sure and, to me, is a step backwards. It sounds like an unnecessarily cumbersome process, especially when you look at how far LAANC (Low Altitude Authorization and Notification Capability) has expanded already in the US, and how simple that process for obtaining ATC authorization is using something like AirMap.

I haven't been able to find anything online, but does anyone know if Canada has anything in the works for a LAANC equivalent?

Haven't seen anything, but I'm not very good at Internet searching :-(

I'm curious about how this compares with submitting flight plans for aircraft. I shoot landscapes* so my time of flight would to be "first day or two in June with decent light an hour after sunrise" rather than "7:00 AM on June 5". Would this be possible? I was assuming that when the weather was right I'd need to contact ATC to check if it was safe.

Am I way out to lunch on the requirements? I haven't studied for my advanced license yet — got the basic and figured I'd get more practice (and studying) before deciding whether the advanced license was worth it for me.

*Currently with a basic license, so out in the countryside well away from certified airports.

Haven't seen anything, but I'm not very good at Internet searching :-(

I'm curious about how this compares with submitting flight plans for aircraft. I shoot landscapes* so my time of flight would to be "first day or two in June with decent light an hour after sunrise" rather than "7:00 AM on June 5". Would this be possible? I was assuming that when the weather was right I'd need to contact ATC to check if it was safe.

Am I way out to lunch on the requirements? I haven't studied for my advanced license yet — got the basic and figured I'd get more practice (and studying) before deciding whether the advanced license was worth it for me.

*Currently with a basic license, so out in the countryside well away from certified airports.

If you follow the link the OP provided, you can see the form you need to submit for approval to fly in controlled airspace. It's very specific in referencing the exact dates and times, as well as flight parameters like specific grids, altitude, etc. Only time will tell if it is more or less restrictive than first glance would suggest, but based on what I'm seeing, you wouldn't be able to specify a general time frame like you suggested.

Regarding the controlled airspace, just found out that NRC Canada has implemented a new Drone Site Selection Tool which could should prove useful for trip planning and, at first glance, the no-fly zones are much less restrictive than what I was seeing on other maps previously. Many of the small aerodromes that I had believe would be considered controlled airspace are actually just "advisory zones" that recommend using caution when in that area.

I'd want to do some digging to make sure it's not just missing certain areas from the NOTAMs, but it has me cautiously optimistic that I may actually be able to fly near where I live without having to worry about the NAVCAN authorization process.

Reactions: Ken K
I believe a LAANC type process is in the works but my guess it it's not rolling out any time soon. I've made my concerns known to the proper people at TC and NavCanada and have not heard anything ( only been 24hrs)

Here's what I wrote:
Now with the new rules are in place Here’s a new issue to consider . . Application for operating in Controlled Airspace. . . This has now again become a serious hindrance that is not experienced by any other aviation operator!
The PART IX 901.73 states that, if you have an Advanced Certificate, you are allowed to fly in controlled airspace with a declared aircraft if flights are conducted "in accordance with the established procedure” . . ."applicable to that airport or heliport.” The on-line form runs a couple of pages and will take more than a couple of minutes to compete, and likewise even longer for ATC to consider.

NavCanada has now published a set procedure which I assume is being applied to ALL aerodromes and Heliports. . . and it requires 48 to 336 hrs notice (up to 14 days). That is a serious business burden for people with a license to fly in control zones and puts us back at the starting blocks in terms of commercial viability. No licensed pilot needs more than a few minutes notice to request clearance into a control zone. I understand perhaps that ATC does not want to have to deal with drones at all, but if you are “RPAS Licensed” you should only need call ahead an hour or two maybe whenever you need access. . . by phone or tower frequency even . . there should be no need for commercial operators to be forced into such rigid flight schedules that it needs 2 to 14 days notice. You can’t run a business that way with all the other things like what the customer wants, lighting, weather and access. Running a charter flight service is easier in terms of customer planning and ability to commit to a date and time.

I believe planning more significant operations ON the AIRPORT a bit more coordination is justified. As you know, I’ve been working with London ATC (CYXU) for over 10 months to do just that. And for that type of an operation a couple of days notice makes sense . . .However . . . , just to operate inside a 5 mile control zone for an hour ( on any given day) should not take any more than your call sign/ operator license# maybe a UAV registration# Location Date Time Duration and Radius and ATC should be able to answer immediately YES or NO and "call us when you ‘re done" . . . or add some other necessary restriction like altitude . . . simple as that. Even calling ATC on a land line a day ahead would be reasonable, like filing a NOTAM but without having to publish/broadcast the result.

Can we have a discussion next week on this issue because for most businesses the current process is only commercially workable in rare cases. I think we all believed that PART IX and a licensing, skills, knowledge and qualifications of commercial operators would streamline business planning and UAV operations and assure ATC that only qualified people would be flying drones anywhere near aircraft, especially in control zones.

Reactions: Harrison443
This UAV clearance process is nothing like filing a flight Plan . . I can prepare a VFR flight plan in as long as it takes me to decide where I'm going and what time I want to be there. . .certainly I can file it in less time than filling out that on-line request . . There is no asking 2 days ahead and hoping it gets approved . . . When you are ready for takeoff ie . . engines running and moments before takeoff you just call tower and say "This is Calls sign XXXX on the ramp at xyz please open my flight Plan at 45 past the hour" . . Compared to this the new UAV clearance process is awkward to say the least, For qualified pilots it's unworkable. Even an IFR flight plan would take less time to prepare and just as quick to file. Call air traffic control, by radio, ( at the airport you are departing from) tell them you are ready to taxi and to open your flight plan. . . simple.

For UAVs now however it's not so simple . . file your "clearance authorization" on line . and WAIT . . . anywhere from 48 to 336 hrs . . no idea how long . . . try committing to a commercial mission with that kind of "flexibility".

If you follow the link the OP provided, you can see the form you need to submit for approval to fly in controlled airspace. It's very specific in referencing the exact dates and times, as well as flight parameters like specific grids, altitude, etc. Only time will tell if it is more or less restrictive than first glance would suggest, but based on what I'm seeing, you wouldn't be able to specify a general time frame like you suggested.

Regarding the controlled airspace, just found out that NRC Canada has implemented a new Drone Site Selection Tool which could should prove useful for trip planning and, at first glance, the no-fly zones are much less restrictive than what I was seeing on other maps previously. Many of the small aerodromes that I had believe would be considered controlled airspace are actually just "advisory zones" that recommend using caution when in that area.

I'd want to do some digging to make sure it's not just missing certain areas from the NOTAMs, but it has me cautiously optimistic that I may actually be able to fly near where I live without having to worry about the NAVCAN authorization process.

Thanks. I took a quick look at the form but missed the precision of the times.

Looks like I might as well hold off on getting an advanced license. Most of the flights I want to make are in uncontrolled airspace*, and the couple that are within controlled airspace are very weather/light dependent, so unless NavCan was OK with me filing like 20 Flight Authorization Requests, one per day over three weeks, and only actually flying on 1-2 of those days (assuming it was OK with ATC that day) it's not worth the hassle/expense of a higher license. Sounds like it might be cheaper/easier to hire a helicopter to take the pictures. :-/

*That's a great tool, isn't it?

I believe a LAANC type process is in the works but my guess it it's not rolling out any time soon. I've made my concerns known to the proper people at TC and NavCanada and have not heard anything ( only been 24hrs)

Here's what I wrote:
Now with the new rules are in place Here’s a new issue to consider . . Application for operating in Controlled Airspace. . . This has now again become a serious hindrance that is not experienced by any other aviation operator!
The PART IX 901.73 states that, if you have an Advanced Certificate, you are allowed to fly in controlled airspace with a declared aircraft if flights are conducted "in accordance with the established procedure” . . ."applicable to that airport or heliport.” The on-line form runs a couple of pages and will take more than a couple of minutes to compete, and likewise even longer for ATC to consider.

NavCanada has now published a set procedure which I assume is being applied to ALL aerodromes and Heliports. . . and it requires 48 to 336 hrs notice (up to 14 days). That is a serious business burden for people with a license to fly in control zones and puts us back at the starting blocks in terms of commercial viability. No licensed pilot needs more than a few minutes notice to request clearance into a control zone. I understand perhaps that ATC does not want to have to deal with drones at all, but if you are “RPAS Licensed” you should only need call ahead an hour or two maybe whenever you need access. . . by phone or tower frequency even . . there should be no need for commercial operators to be forced into such rigid flight schedules that it needs 2 to 14 days notice. You can’t run a business that way with all the other things like what the customer wants, lighting, weather and access. Running a charter flight service is easier in terms of customer planning and ability to commit to a date and time.

I believe planning more significant operations ON the AIRPORT a bit more coordination is justified. As you know, I’ve been working with London ATC (CYXU) for over 10 months to do just that. And for that type of an operation a couple of days notice makes sense . . .However . . . , just to operate inside a 5 mile control zone for an hour ( on any given day) should not take any more than your call sign/ operator license# maybe a UAV registration# Location Date Time Duration and Radius and ATC should be able to answer immediately YES or NO and "call us when you ‘re done" . . . or add some other necessary restriction like altitude . . . simple as that. Even calling ATC on a land line a day ahead would be reasonable, like filing a NOTAM but without having to publish/broadcast the result.

Can we have a discussion next week on this issue because for most businesses the current process is only commercially workable in rare cases. I think we all believed that PART IX and a licensing, skills, knowledge and qualifications of commercial operators would streamline business planning and UAV operations and assure ATC that only qualified people would be flying drones anywhere near aircraft, especially in control zones.

A very thorough and well-written inquiry...please keep me posted on their response, if any!

It's time that trudeau go's. We will have a new transport minister
Don't think this is a political party issue... There are clowns out there, and if we are at the circus someone needs to have some rules. I don't think the colour of the ring-masters jersey matters. Just frustrating for those of us with good intentions.

Reactions: Torcan
Definitely! I'm going to contact TC tomorrow to see if I can get clarification on the apparent discrepancy between the regs (re: distance from airport) and the zones shown on that drone site selection tool.
According to Don Joyce (if I understood him correctly) the difference is whether an aerodrome is certified or not. Certified you have to keep outside a perimeter, not certified you have to maintain vigilance.

According to Don Joyce (if I understood him correctly) the difference is whether an aerodrome is certified or not. Certified you have to keep outside a perimeter, not certified you have to maintain vigilance.

Yes, I believe that's correct. I haven't heard back from TC yet but in doing some further research I came across that video and can see that, in the Canada Flight Supplement, the airports and aerodromes will be identified with "Cert" or "Reg". Overall, this is good news because I'm actually much less restricted in where I can fly knowing that. There are a ton of those small, non-certified airports in the Muskoka area, so it's good to know I can just use caution and still fly without an advanced licence or NAV Canada authorization.

Don't think this is a political party issue... There are clowns out there, and if we are at the circus someone needs to have some rules. I don't think the colour of the ring-masters jersey matters. Just frustrating for those of us with good intentions.
well said
It's time that trudeau go's. We will have a new transport minister
lets keep personal politics away from this forum, complain at the ballot box

Yes, I believe that's correct. I haven't heard back from TC yet but in doing some further research I came across that video and can see that, in the Canada Flight Supplement, the airports and aerodromes will be identified with "Cert" or "Reg". Overall, this is good news because I'm actually much less restricted in where I can fly knowing that. There are a ton of those small, non-certified airports in the Muskoka area, so it's good to know I can just use caution and still fly without an advanced licence or NAV Canada authorization.

I was relived myself. I'm heading to the Sunshine Coast this summer and there's a ton of small airstrips and seaplane harbours there.

I know one place I want to fly I'll have to be careful because the seaplane pilots usually fly quite low — but fortunately they're noisy planes so I'll be able to land before they get close.

I'm also good for almost everywhere I want to fly in Alberta — if the smoke isn't bad enough to ruin the pictures.

funny how the nav drone site selection tool does not seem to reflect all the restricted airspace.. this thing is such a mess. just like the old drone selection site, was on rules, 2 sets of rules back.. what a joke.

funny how the nav drone site selection tool does not seem to reflect all the restricted airspace.. this thing is such a mess. just like the old drone selection site, was on rules, 2 sets of rules back.. what a joke.

Can you provide an example of what you mean? Maybe a screenshot of an area on the site selection tool that you believe is incorrectly identified as uncontrolled airspace?

Reactions: nevernamed

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54