DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NC Laws and Fishing?

COZWV

Reactions
Reading NC's laws and they seem to be seriously vague. I just bought a Drone and was looking forward to bringing it with me to the OBX for my yearly beach trip. :)

The way I read it is if I want to take off from my rental house property I need permission from the owner of the property?

Also, Has anyone had any experience with "Fishing" with your drone? It say's it's prohibited and I wonder if that would include carrying your bait out from the beach and dropping it? I've seen videos of this and thought it would be a great way to get my bait out beyond the sand bar where the fish may be?

Hi COZWV,

As I read the NC drone regs they seem pretty clear that any use of a drone for hunting or fishing is illegal. While I completely agree it’s a cool use I would not recommend it in NC. I train UAS Pilots in NC.

Thanks, Their regs are so vague, I can see where they could twist anything to their use to bust you. They do purposely spell out the hunting part, but nothing specific regarding fishing?

I love to Surf Fish while down there on vacation and can never get the line past the breakers! Maybe I'll just get a paddle board and haul it out there myself. I saw a Surfer do this for a pretty girl last fall. I told my Wife that I bet he wouldn't do the same for me HAHA!

:) I hear ya. I’m not a fisherman but it IS a great idea, just unfortunately not legal here. Also be aware that while sometimes questionable, many coastal communities have pretty stringent/ restrictive drone regs as well. I hope that won’t deter you from continuing to visit our beautiful beaches.

:) I hear ya. I’m not a fisherman but it IS a great idea, just unfortunately not legal here. Also be aware that while sometimes questionable, many coastal communities have pretty stringent/ restrictive drone regs as well. I hope that won’t deter you from continuing to visit our beautiful beaches.
NEVER! Love the peacefulness and laid back atmosphere of the OBX. Been enjoying it for many years now. I guess I could still get some good footage of the Dolphins and such as they pass by? I have already had to cut back on which beach I visit with my Dog because he always gets to vacation with us. I keep mine on a leash as required, but see many others who do not. Kind of like some Drone people not obeying the regs and messing it up for everyone else.

Do you have a source to check the local communities for Drone Laws? State should always include preemption language in all bills. Makes it really tough for people to stay within the laws.

Yes, I’m a big advocate that the regulation should be with the FAA and state, not the local community. It can get messy in a hurry. Virginia and a few other states handle at the state level. Regarding resources I do not have any. What I do is do a search for “drone laws Cape Hatteras” for example. I hate to add another negative to the conversation but National Parks are no drone zones as well. So be care there as well. You can fly over but not take off or land in National Parks.

Reactions: COZWV
I know this is an old topic but I would like to give some insight to this. I bought a drone thinking I could spot fish with it and then try to catch them. So NCralph is correct , you can not land or take off from wildlife preservations owned by the state. However if you are in a boat or a kayak you can fly over them and take off and land from those. When it comes to fishing , I was told by an officer that patrols the NC Oregon Inlet area. You CAN NOT use it for fishing in any way shape or form. He even said , If I took the drone down with no poles , flew it around , saw fish , then went 2 hours back home and dropped the drone off and came back with poles and caught fish. They could site me for fishing illegally. So I was like wow , guessing i'll never take my drone to the OBX cause I never go there without poles to fish. lol

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929