DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ND filter packs with no ND32

JoshC

Reactions
Hey, I'm looking to buy a ND filter pack. I'm noticing that a lot of packs, including Polar Pro, are offering ND4, ND8 and ND16.... My experience with Mavic Pro is that ND16 is most used, and ND8 and ND32 are used for cloudy or very sunny days. So I can't understand why the ND 8, 16, 32 isn't the default for a pack of 3 ND filters. Am I missing something here? Is the ND4 actually useful or is it just a marketing ploy to get you to buy a multi-pack and then need to buy a ND32 separately.

Reactions: Kelly Miller
Hey, I'm looking to buy a ND filter pack. I'm noticing that a lot of packs, including Polar Pro, are offering ND4, ND8 and ND16.... My experience with Mavic Pro is that ND16 is most used, and ND8 and ND32 are used for cloudy or very sunny days. So I can't understand why the ND 8, 16, 32 isn't the default for a pack of 3 ND filters. Am I missing something here? Is the ND4 actually useful or is it just a marketing ploy to get you to buy a multi-pack and then need to buy a ND32 separately.
I guess Polar Pro just want more of your money.

I've just bought a 4 pack, bright day set from Freewell... has 8, 16, 32 & 64

Reactions: Physopto
Polar Pro also offers custom packs even though they are not listed. You have to look really hard. I got a custom pack and they sent 4 separate filters and cases. I called them to just send me a 4 slot case and they mailed it to me free in a few days. See any attached screen grab, or just give them a call!Screen Shot 2020-06-07 at 9.35.31 AM.png

Reactions: Fred Garvin
Have you tried stacking? Basically, stacking ND4 with ND12 equals ND16. ND8 with ND16 equals ND24.
Dare I, ND4+ND12+ND16=ND32.
Experiment a little. This should also work out just as identical when computing the f-stops.

Anyone???

Have you tried stacking? Basically, stacking ND4 with ND12 equals ND16. ND8 with ND16 equals ND24.
Dare I, ND4+ND12+ND16=ND32.
Experiment a little. This should also work out just as identical when computing the f-stops.

Anyone???
Probably this would cause a lot of vignetting

Reactions: Bjolly612
Not a good idea on wideangle lenses. As Dale mentions you’ll almost certainly get vignetting.

I would think stacking the filters could cause additional stress on the gimbal. Just a thought.

Yeah - no way I'm going to add unnecessary extra weight to the gimbal... may also make it more likely to not stay horizontal

I saw something about variable ND filters on YouTube... 'Ian in London' channel.

Better than stacking I guess.

They are but add an additional layer of glass, (ie. 2 rather than one) which ultimately reduces contrast.

Aloha, I have the DJI set cause everywhere else was hard to find. So I'm really glad I spent the money and they work really well here in Hawaii.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61