DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ND Filter : Which strength do you use the most?

Gimlix

Reactions
Hi everyone,
I am looking at buying some PolarPro ND and ND/PL filter but I was wondering which strength to buy.
I do not which to buy 8 or 16 of them and limit to 4 max.
Which ND strength would you think is the most used for the following use:
- 30 fps => shutter: 60/s
- aperture <4.5
- sunny days, lightly cloudy or golden hours

would I need ND 4/8/16/32/64 or would only 16/32would suffice?
Many thanks,

Gimlix

Reactions: Davyc
Nd4 seems useless to me, you can adjust that with the aperture.
I use 8-32, if there is much snow and sun maybe even 64.
It depends on the weather, settings, etc.
There is no answer to you question. Get 8 to 32 or 64 that should be fine

Pretty much what this guy said. There is not any "one-size-fits-all" ND filter. It all depends on your ambient light and any effect(s) you're going for. Having said that, I do use my ND/64 more than any other. Your other option is to get a variable ND filter that can be adjusted to various levels of density.

I almost always fly with a ND 8 on.
Sometimes with no filter or a 16.
I've never used a 4 or 64.
So be sure to include an ND 8 in your purchase.

Reactions: DanaMc
Manu thanks guys for the feedbacks!
Of course PolarPro packs are Not customizable and 4 to 16 an 32 to 256 for people to buy them all i guess...
I'll probably do some mix and match to focus on what you recommended!
Thanks

Hi everyone,
I am looking at buying some PolarPro ND and ND/PL filter but I was wondering which strength to buy.
I do not which to buy 8 or 16 of them and limit to 4 max.
Which ND strength would you think is the most used for the following use:
- 30 fps => shutter: 60/s
- aperture <4.5
- sunny days, lightly cloudy or golden hours

would I need ND 4/8/16/32/64 or would only 16/32would suffice?
Many thanks,

Gimlix
Polar Pro allows you to customize their orders. I mostly stay with the 16 on my lens all the time.

I am 100% in lockstep with CaptHook reply. I just leave my ND8 on my camera all the time unless I am shooting in very shady, low light situation (i.e. under tree canopies)

You also asked about Polarized filters. I think they would be cool to have for very specific situations but you have to rotate the filters at a specific angle to get the effect or glare reduction you want or need. The second you yaw or roll your camera direction more than 30° to 40° you will have to bring the drone back and rotate accordingly. Now if they could make polarized filters that could be rotated remotely, that would be awesome.

Reactions: Thanev
I have a 4 pack polar pro. ND/PL 4 8 16 32 which seems to cover most situations. You can easily adjust the shutter speed and aperture to obtain 60fps. But remember the settings and filter are only good for the point of measurement. As the drone moves around into different intensity light, changes to those settings will be needed.

I’ve been happy with my Freewell variable ND filters. One is 2-5 stops the other is 6-9. $50. Some users prefer dedicated filters for each stop/strength but these vnd filters work great for me.

Reactions: Thanev and tiwag
I have a Mavic Air. I bought Polar Pro filters off Amazon. I have used 8 on somewhat bright days and 16 on really bright days. My kit only has 4, 8, and 16 both polarized and not. Even over bright snow the 16 seemed fine.

Reactions: tiwag
Yeah I concur, I have a 8 on all the time. My set contains a 8,16,32 and a 64. And as others have noted I have never used a 64 except once for a beach shoot. But my aircraft are fixed aperture thus far but my zoom has a 2.4 to 2.8 equivelent given 24mm FOV to 96mm FOV. I use a 8 almost always for dawn and evening shots which is my normal flying time, but have put on a 16-32 for bright, noon type shots. Having a new M2Z you have to be a bit cautious and are constantly adjusting when using the zoom function or just forgo the whole thing and go Auto, which circumvents the ND anyway. Am looking at the VND..looks like it has issues but for the most part I could deal with it.

Last edited:
Ah ok ok! Thanks for the tips!
For info, PolarPro used to have custom packs where you can pick an choose the filters you want.
They dot do it anymore but by contacting the customer service they can create a the pack you want. It does not come with a discount but at least you don't have to by the 16 filter pack!
Cheers,
Gimlix

I have Polar Pro ND4 to ND64. I find that the ND 16 is best suited for most shots. The polarizing set is useless to me. It’s difficult to get the polarization dialed in correctly without having to come home and recalibrate. The ND16 gives me the best range for changing camera settings depending on orientation of the sun.

I keep the ND16PL on practically all the time. I only change out to the 8 for twilight or the 32/64 for super bright conditions.

I really enjoy the variable ND filters from Freewell.As conditions change I can quickly land, reset the filter and be on my way once again.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123