DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ND Filters for DJI FPV

How do you "finally" find a ND filter set for something that hasn't been available for 1 day? :p
Because normally filters, bags etc.... are out 2-3 weeks ahead of time

• Haha
Reactions: RMS001
Because normally filters, bags etc.... are out 2-3 weeks ahead of time
Your normally and mine are vastly different. There could be no such market for DJI nor has there been from my observation. DJI is hush hush on their releases, so if someone was to market third party add ons for a device yet to be released by 2-3 weeks, they are in great violation of a NDS that was granted by DJI, and as such would be removed from any further consideration. Simply never happens from any of the 5+ years of my flying DJI products.

DJI gives a select few 3rd party vendors that have developed a kinship with them over the years a advance copy (Beta), I doubt any of them would like to betray that trust, thus it is 3-4 weeks normally after release when third parties actually get the device and then tool up to develop their products. I guess YMMV. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: RMS001 and Kilrah
Your normally and mine are vastly different. There could be no such market for DJI nor has there been from my observation. DJI is hush hush on their releases, so if someone was to market third party add ons for a device yet to be released by 2-3 weeks, they are in great violation of a NDS that was granted by DJI, and as such would be removed from any further consideration. Simply never happens from any of the 5+ years of my flying DJI products.
Hush, Hush LOL. Their has been photos and video of the new FPV for at least two months now

Companies like DJI and many many others give vendors specs months ahead of time. Before the launch of the Mavic 2 Pro Polar Pro had ND filters out 3 weeks prior to DJI launching the drone

Genuine question. Why would you want ND filters for an FPV drone? This isn’t like a Mavic. It only has a one axis gimbal, and two frame rates (30 and 60), so it’s not really intended for filming.

Reactions: RMS001 and FASTFJR
Reactions: FASTFJR
Genuine question. Why would you want ND filters for an FPV drone? This isn’t like a Mavic. It only has a one axis gimbal, and two frame rates (30 and 60), so it’s not really intended for filming.
Having one axis or two doesn't really matter. Reducing shutter speed is a common cinematography technique, and can be explained by the 180 degree shutter rule. While the this rule is antiquated and explains the relationship of frame rate relative to shutter angle on old film cameras with rotary shutters, we can apply the concept to the digital format, as a simple way to describe the appearance of motion blur in video. By reducing shutter speed relative to your frame rate, you can control the appearance of motion blur. Traditionally, the most common setting in cinema has been a shutter angle around 180 degrees. For digital applications, this translates to a shutter speed at double your frame rate.

Having one axis or two doesn't really matter. Reducing shutter speed is a common cinematography technique, and can be explained by the 180 degree shutter rule. While the this rule is antiquated and explains the relationship of frame rate relative to shutter angle on old film cameras with rotary shutters, we can apply the concept to the digital format, as a simple way to describe the appearance of motion blur in video. By reducing shutter speed relative to your frame rate, you can control the appearance of motion blur. Traditionally, the most common setting in cinema has been a shutter angle around 180 degrees. For digital applications, this translates to a shutter speed at double your frame rate.
Yeah, I know why you’d use them on a cinematic drone, I just don’t get why you’d want them on an fpv drone.

Why can’t an FPV drone be cinematic?
One axis gimbal to start with. Then there are only two frame rates. No flat profiles. Much wider field of view (150 degrees), all of which make it much harder to blend with footage from other cameras.

ND filter use on FPV quads (equipped with a secondary camera for hi res recording) is commonly used to generate motion blur & are actually even more motivated in FPV as the heights mostly are very low & well below 30m height where motion blur doesn't matter anymore.

One example, without & with:

1614858914716.png

And when it comes to the number of gimbal axis ... on a quad the AC itself is used to aim the camera, shouldn't influence a possible need of a ND filter at all.

Curious if anyone has gotten the filters and if they affect the max up/down angle movement of the gimbal. I 3d printed one to use Mavic 2 Pro filters and it seems to drop the limit by 20-30' in each direction. Gimbal calibration with the filter on also seems to fail.

Sweet! Then I will give it a try tomorrow (I just printed the adapter tonight). If all goes well, then I see an anamorphic lens adapter in the future - hopefully the gimbal can handle that.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deltabird