DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

blinderman129

Reactions
Site
www.benlinderman.com
Anyone had any luck finding ND filters? All I'm seeing are the DJI filters being backordered or not in stock yet.

Anyone had any luck finding ND filters? All I'm seeing are the DJI filters being backordered or not in stock yet.
They'll happen, but it wiill probably take a bit because the M3 classic was a bit of a surprise release.

However... the Mavic 3 classic, like the Mavic 3 and th Mavic 2 Pro has a variable aperture from F2.8 to F11. ND filters while sometimes desiragle aren't critical like they are with fixed aperture drones. You might not be able to keep a 2:1 shutter:FPS ratio, while staying in the sweet spot of the lens between, presumably, F4 to F5.6. But the minimal loss of sharpnness from shooting at F2.8 or larger than F5.6 will be negigible, can largely be recovered in post and should be unnoticeable with most media and viewinng devices, unless your client is viewing the files with a higher end 4k monitor directly from your files.

I have a Mavic 2 Pro and while I have a good selection of ND filters, I almost always fly, not wiith straight ND's but PolarPro gradient filter with very little if any exposure reduction on the bottom. My goal with these filters is to minimize the difference in exposure between sky and what's below, not necessarily ND. I rarely go with higher ND's. I keep the lowest ND filter on my M2P just because the gradient is only visible if you're looking for it, not to get any kind of exposure reduction. Too bad nobody makes decent gradients like PolarPro did (and discontinued).

Reactions: mavicbopper
They'll happen, but it wiill probably take a bit because the M3 classic was a bit of a surprise release.

However... the Mavic 3 classic, like the Mavic 3 and th Mavic 2 Pro has a variable aperture from F2.8 to F11. ND filters while sometimes desiragle aren't critical like they are with fixed aperture drones. You might not be able to keep a 2:1 shutter:FPS ratio, while staying in the sweet spot of the lens between, presumably, F4 to F5.6. But the minimal loss of sharpnness from shooting at F2.8 or larger than F5.6 will be negigible, can largely be recovered in post and should be unnoticeable with most media and viewinng devices, unless your client is viewing the files with a higher end 4k monitor directly from your files.

I have a Mavic 2 Pro and while I have a good selection of ND filters, I almost always fly, not wiith straight ND's but PolarPro gradient filter with very little if any exposure reduction on the bottom. My goal with these filters is to minimize the difference in exposure between sky and what's below, not necessarily ND. I rarely go with higher ND's. I keep the lowest ND filter on my M2P just because the gradient is only visible if you're looking for it, not to get any kind of exposure reduction. Too bad nobody makes decent gradients like PolarPro did (and discontinued).
I agree 100% with your assessment. I have the M2Pro and the M3 Classic. Use the polarizer on the M2Pro and will get a polarizer for the M3Classoc.

I agree 100% with your assessment. I have the M2Pro and the M3 Classic. Use the polarizer on the M2Pro and will get a polarizer for the M3Classoc.
I've got polarizers but never used them. As I said, the gradients are my go-to filters and I can't believe that no filter mfr has jumped on them. I think I got the last set availablel in the world as they were shipped from Japan. Sadly, PolarPro no longer makes them either. Probably not a good seller. A lot of folks are missing out IMO.

I've got polarizers but never used them. As I said, the gradients are my go-to filters and I can't believe that no filter mfr has jumped on them. I think I got the last set availablel in the world as they were shipped from Japan. Sadly, PolarPro no longer makes them either. Probably not a good seller. A lot of folks are missing out IMO.
If you are referring to Gradient ND filters, here:

https://www.adorama.com/fwm3cgnd.ht...gEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&utm_source=adl-gbase-p

Attachments

• Freewell Soft Edge Gradient GND0.9 & GN...pdf
    400.6 KB · Views: 6
wow... Thanks. Based on the photos of those filters, photos that probably don't mean much practically, it appears that these filters are more severe than my PolarPros. However, knowing that they are available may have pushed me over the edge deciding between a M3C and a M3 (w/7x zoom lens).

Adorama is expecting stock on them. But I checked B&H and they have them on order too. With B&H's Payboo card I don't get hit with the 10% state sales confiscation.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54