DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ND filters

jctarvin

Reactions
Anyone had any luck finding these in stock? Both DJI & BH Photo show them out of stock at the moment. Have my email on both notify lists.

With the adjustable aperture on the M2Pro, the ND filters are really not that necessary anymore. Perhaps in extreme conditions.

With the adjustable aperture on the M2Pro, the ND filters are really not that necessary anymore. Perhaps in extreme conditions.
I've flown a phantom 4 pro for about a year and will say that ND filters are a must for cinematic video. If you're willing to run your shutter speed way up for choppy looking video, you can get away without them. Sorry!

I've flown a phantom 4 pro for about a year and will say that ND filters are a must for cinematic video. If you're willing to run your shutter speed way up for choppy looking video, you can get away without them. Sorry!

I totally get it. I was just thinking...with the amazing new camera & sensor on the M2Pro the need for ND filters will be far less than before. I know there will still be a use case for them though.

Not in stock either, but I placed an order for Polar Pro polarized filters. Said should be available by 9/22

I totally get it. I was just thinking...with the amazing new camera & sensor on the M2Pro the need for ND filters will be far less than before. I know there will still be a use case for them though.
See, the camera is pretty much like the Phantom 4 Pro camera.... 1" sensor and aperture from f/2.8 to f/11. I want to keep my shutter speed at twice frame rate and prefer to have aperture around 5.6 to 8...kinda in the sweet spot. Much less of a necessity when shooting still images.

MP2 has adjustable aperture. As does the P4P. So no, you dont need to run the shutterspeed up.

True, but if you're at all concerned about what depth of field you're shooting, you'll still want nd filters to be able to lock in the shutter and DoF.

Again no. Even at f/2.8 on a 1" sensor you hit infinity focus at under 4m so theres no scope for altering the depth of field. Nobody realistically is going to be filming things at 3m or closer (and even then minimal blurring).
Other than diffraction maybe creeping it a bit from f/8 you can replace NDs with aperture.

Reactions: Roamer105
Skyreat will be available on amazon.com in 1 week, Anyone want to test it ,please message me .

Reactions: BIGLUG24
Here's my take: With the adjustable aperture, you can get away without them more often, but there is a good chance you'll be making sacrifices to do so. I, personally, will be getting ND filters and doing my best to get the camera dialed in perfectly for mid range aperture as that is where the best sharpness will usually occur.

For me the main benefit of the variable aperture will be in case the light changes while I'm up, which very easily can happen, or if I just plain set it up wrong, I at least have the ability to adjust on the fly and still get usable footage on an otherwise less than optimal flight.

Reactions: bobomet
I suspect i'll get 1 x 3 stop filter. That'll realistically cover any situation im going to come across with light. 4 stops from the aperture and an extra 1 or 2 above for really really bright reflected light.
What i'll find essential though is a CPL.

Reactions: Jon Mir and bobomet
Now having and flying the M2P, I absolutely need ND filters. Even maxed out at f/11 and ISO100, I was still well into the 1/1XXths, it was mostly full sun, around noon. I can't wait to see how nice videos can look once I get some lower shutter speed and wider apertures.

Unless you're flying fast and close to objects you wont need to reduce the shutter speed. Depends on use.

I'd like to get to 1/50 or 1/60 perhaps I said that wrong, Longer shutter speeds. If I wanted shorter exposure times, there is nothing stopping me.

I have too much light.

Correct. But unless you're flying close to and fast to objects you dont NEED those slow shutters. You only get stuttering if theres a lot of movement between frames. So unless you're close and fast it isnt the end of the world if you shoot faster shutters.

Unless you're flying fast and close to objects you wont need to reduce the shutter speed. Depends on use.

While use does matter, many looking for the best cinematic footage try to shoot using the 180 degree shutter rule.

Some don't care, some don't see the difference, some just do it!

And unless you're close and fast to objects its invisible! Thats the thing. The 180 degree "rule" (guideline not rule) is only really necessary in specific circumstances. Take it up to 400ft and film some gentle panning - there'll be no visible difference.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest