DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ND PL Filter question (with pic) help please

shutterup

Reactions
So I've never been one to believe in the power of a ND PL Filter, however I've decided to give them a go for a upcoming trip.

But where does the line line up for example of I'm fling over cliffs and water?

Thanks IMG20200809202246.jpeg

What you are flying over is irrelevant.

What is important is the relationship of the camera orientation to the position of the sun in the sky.

Set it on the ground (observing the effect in your live view) before launch with the drone close to what you expect the principal orientation will be in flight.

You should have picked up now on the obvious limitation- the effect of the polarisation will vary, often significantly, in flight.

So I've never been one to believe in the power of a ND PL Filter, however I've decided to give them a go for a upcoming trip.

But where does the line line up for example of I'm fling over cliffs and water?

Thanks View attachment 110062
Maximum polarizing effect is at 90 degrees to the Sun. Point the drone there before launching and rotate the filter, noting the darkening on your screen image display. Set what appeals. Best used to reduce reflections on water, highlight cumulus clouds on a bright clear sunny day and to add some mild colour saturation to vegetation and terrain. Just a guide here but test it for your own liking. Cheers.

Reactions: DougMcC
Maximum polarizing effect is at 90 degrees to the Sun. Point the drone there before launching and rotate the filter, noting the darkening on your screen image display. Set what appeals. Best used to reduce reflections on water, highlight cumulus clouds on a bright clear sunny day and to add some mild colour saturation to vegetation and terrain. Just a guide here but test it for your own liking. Cheers.

The "90 degrees" rule is for the sky. I generally aim at the source of "hottest" reflections off the water, dial to maximum interference, and call it "good."

And the line
The "90 degrees" rule is for the sky. I generally aim at the source of "hottest" reflections off the water, dial to maximum interference, and call it "good."
I assume the line on the circular part is where the pilarosing bit is?

The line is essentially meaningless unless you can confirm it's an angular indicator for the PL. Just look through the filter (via the on-board camera) at the reflections, and turn the dial until the reflections are minimized.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
Wy
Couldn't a standard ND filter allow for cloud photography?

That's what I use, with AEB bracketing, and am very happy with the results.

Is there a reason to use PL instead?

The t
Wy

Couldn't a standard ND filter allow for cloud photography?

That's what I use, with AEB bracketing, and am very happy with the results.

Is there a reason to use PL instead?
The reason is your cloud pics would be no different without the ND. Unless it is exceptionally poor quality it will only alter the exposure.

The t

The reason is your cloud pics would be no different without the ND. Unless it is exceptionally poor quality it will only alter the exposure.
So I've had this debate with others on the forums and convinced them otherwise.

I use my ND taking cloud pictures for a "graduated filter" of sorts.

It allows me the ability to have soft clouds, but sharp foreground.

So I've had this debate with others on the forums and convinced them otherwise.

I use my ND taking cloud pictures for a "graduated filter" of sorts.

It allows me the ability to have soft clouds, but sharp foreground.

Are you using a graduated ND filter? Yes obviously that can prove very effective in balancing Sky to foreground in some instances (exposure). It has nothing to do with the discussion here or the OP query.

What have you convinced people of?

Are you using a graduated ND filter? Yes obviously that can prove very effective in balancing Sky to foreground in some instances (exposure). It has nothing to do with the discussion here or the OP query.

What have you convinced people of?
Convinced is a poor choice of words.

Opened their eyes to be possibilities is better lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200811-063157_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200811-063157_Samsung Internet.jpg
    625.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20200811-063113_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200811-063113_Samsung Internet.jpg
    537.4 KB · Views: 15
It has nothing to do with the discussion here or the OP query.
The OP query was regarding filters. Yes, PL but filters nonetheless. ? (EDIT: actually the term "ND" is in the title soooooo...)

And the "discussion here" was a conversation I tired starting with you, looking for advice... My bad.

I take your passive agressiveness, and raise you, with facts. ??

The OP query was regarding filters. Yes, PL but filters nonetheless. ? (EDIT: actually the term "ND" is in the title soooooo...)

And the "discussion here" was a conversation I tired starting with you, looking for advice... My bad.

I take your passive agressiveness, and raise you, with facts. ??
My friend

@WithTheBirds is the most knowledgeable person about cameras I know. You’ll learn a lot from him if you listen.

PL filters or polarized filters are for reducing glare and some reflections. They have to be rotated to find the best orientation of the filter and that’s what the OPs question is about. Some ND filters are also polarized but the OPs question is in regards to the PL portion of his filter.

My friend

@WithTheBirds is the most knowledgeable person about cameras I know. You’ll learn a lot from him if you listen.

PL filters or polarized filters are for reducing glare and some reflections. They have to be rotated to find the best orientation of the filter and that’s what the OPs question is about. Some ND filters are also polarized but the OPs question is in regards to the PL portion of his filter.
I was going to quote this on the Zoom post where you referred to WiththeBirds, I didn't mean to offend.

Just asked a question, and seemed like when I had a differing opinion it wasn't valued simply because face value states ND filters are crazy-talk when it comes to stills, which you and I have already discussed.

I was going to quote this on the Zoom post where you referred to WiththeBirds, I didn't mean to offend.

Just asked a question, and seemed like when I had a differing opinion it wasn't valued simply because face value states ND filters are crazy-talk when it comes to stills, which you and I have already discussed.
Differing opinion? I answered what seemed to be your question. It appears my question to you remains unanswered though- what possibilities with ND have you "opened peoples eyes? to?

How does your application of an ND filter give you soft clouds and sharp foreground? Time lapse? Stacked images in post? Both effects could be produced as easily with no ND.

I am genuinely interested in understanding what "facts" you are presenting here.

Differing opinion? I answered what seemed to be your question. It appears my question to you remains unanswered though- what possibilities with ND have you "opened peoples eyes" to?
I answered your question by quoting another thread on post #9, and sent screenshots in post #11.

That's barely an answer. Especially when my opinion is different.

How does your application of an ND filter give you soft clouds and sharp foreground? Time lapse? Stacked images in post? Both effects could be produced as easily with no ND.
I explained this in the thread referenced above (post #9), and in my screenshots... But in a nutshell...
I can lengthen the shutter speed when shooting the sky, longer than I could without an ND filter.
I shoot 3 or 5 AEB stacked photos with no deghosting.
This provides a bit of motion blur, but because the foreground (the cityscape below) is stationary, it is sharp...

Time lapse was also covered in the other thread... That's a video, and entirely different.

How could you shoot at ISO 100, shutter speed 1/125 and get motion blur?
Please inform me.

I answered your question by quoting another thread on post #9, and sent screenshots in post #11.

That's barely an answer. Especially when my opinion is different.

I explained this in the thread referenced above (post #9), and in my screenshots... But in a nutshell...
I can lengthen the shutter speed when shooting the sky, longer than I could without an ND filter.
I shoot 3 or 5 AEB stacked photos with no deghosting.
This provides a bit of motion blur, but because the foreground (the cityscape below) is stationary, it is sharp...

Time lapse was also covered in the other thread... That's a video, and entirely different.

How could you shoot at ISO 100, shutter speed 1/125 and get motion blur?
Please inform me.
I must confess I didn’t follow your posted link to the other thread.

You will find no disagreement from me with respect to the technique or resultant effect.

The effect the ND is assisting you in reproducing (time lapse motion blur) is well known and predates digital imaging and drones.

I’m still unsure how it relates to what seemed to be, and probably still remains, the OP’s specific area of interest and that is the application and use of a PL.

As to your question, an alternative to ND filters for extending the apparent exposure duration is simply to take multiple exposures and stack and blend in post. Well executed the result will prove indistinguishable from that arrived at using an ND. In fact the result will often be subjectively superior, simply because shorter individual exposures often have less sensor induced noise.

Differing opinion? I answered what seemed to be your question. It appears my question to you remains unanswered though- what possibilities with ND have you "opened peoples eyes? to?

I am genuinely interested in understanding what "facts" you are presenting here.
He’s saying that he’s using the ND filter to get a longer shutter so that he can get some slight motion blur in the clouds therefore making them slightly softer.

That’s how I understood it at least.

He’s saying that he’s using the ND filter to get a longer shutter so that he can get some slight motion blur in the clouds therefore making them slightly softer.

That’s how I understood it at least.
My understanding also- a good use for an ND. You can’t get a polarising effect with an ND though so not much use to the OP.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost