DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Need adapter for MM2 controller to accept an iPhone 11 Pro Max in an Otterbox Defender case.

pjw188

Reactions
I just received my Mini 2 fly combo. Much to my chagrin and dismay, my iPhone 11 Pro Max in an Otterbox defender case is a tad too large for the controller.

So...No flying today. On the positive side, it gives me time to charge the controller and all 3 batteries.

The exterior dimensions of my phone and case are: 6 5/8" long, 3 9/16 "wide, 5/8" thick.

I also have an ipad, but I am not sure I am going to use it just yet.

What are my options for using the iPhone 11pro Max with the Otterbox case.? I am not going to remove the phone from the case whenever I want to fly.

I was thinking I could just fabricate a "Z" bracket out of metal, but then I realized the antenna was in the top of the phone clip and a metal bracket may interfere with the RF of the unit.

Any thoughts welcome. Thank you.

I just received my Mini 2 fly combo. Much to my chagrin and dismay, my iPhone 11 Pro Max in an Otterbox defender case is a tad too large for the controller.

So...No flying today. On the positive side, it gives me time to charge the controller and all 3 batteries.

The exterior dimensions of my phone and case are: 6 5/8" long, 3 9/16 "wide, 5/8" thick.

What are my options for using the iPhone 11pro Max with the Otterbox case.? I am not going to remove the phone from the case whenever I want to fly.

I was thinking I could just fabricate a "Z" bracket out of metal, but then I realized the antenna was in the top of the phone clip and a metal bracket may interfere with the RF of the unit.

The Mini 2 uses the exact same controller as the Mavic Air 2, and of you google tablet holders for the Mavic Air 2, all them will also work with the newer Mini 2. Plenty of options to choose from, depending upon your budget, and exactly how you want the mount to work, complete with lanyard attachments. I use this one for mine, which should also work with your iPhone Pro Max in an Otterbox or your iPad.

If you 2ant something simple, small and adaptable for different sizes you might want to look at this:
It will only work on the Mini2/ MA2 style of drone and not the older joystick style like with the MM or M2P buy it fits in FMC bag easily

I have the same setup for my iPhone Pro Max 11. I remove the Otterbox for flying, then put it back in the Otterbox after done flying. Otterbox.jpgOtterbox.jpg

Reactions: Thomas B

Attachments

• Mini 2 Lg Phone mount.zip
    62.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Mini 2 Lg Phone mouht.png
    Mini 2 Lg Phone mouht.png
    69.2 KB · Views: 12
Thanks to all for the replies. I really appreciate it. I DID buy the PGYTECH holder that GadgetGuy recommended. It appears to be a very well made, durable, sturdy unit that fits BOTH my iPad and iPhone in the Otterbox case.

My issue NOW is that the longer, right angle USB C to lightning cables that I had to purchase to reach the iPhone, don't seat all the way in to the Otterbox case deep enough to make contact with the phones port. See attached.

I have been scouring Amazon for something that might work. I was thinking (best case scenario) a right angle USB C (for the controller end) and a straight lighting connector (that would actually fit through the hole in the end of the PGYTECH holder.). I haven't found this unicorn yet.

Next best would be a right angle USB C (for the controller end) to a right angle lightning, but with the cord coming out a bit higher on the lightning connector.

I HAVE found a straight USB C to Straight lightning 1 foot cable that will work, but I won't be able to collapse the built-in controller holder with this non-right angle cable plugged in. Doable, but not as convenient. Unless something better comes up sooner, I'll probably go this route.

1 ft straight USB C to Lightning

Ideally ANY cable would be long enough to reach both devices in the holder, but short enough so as not to have drag a "dog leash" around with me.

I have even been looking (without much success) for any kind of (not too Rube Goldberg) adapter combination that might work with my existing cables.

Any other thoughts or suggestions for this Mini2 Noob would be welcome. Thanks.

Attachments

• cable seat.jpg
    cable seat.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 4
Thanks to all for the replies. I really appreciate it. I DID buy the PGYTECH holder that GadgetGuy recommended. It appears to be a very well made, durable, sturdy unit that fits BOTH my iPad and iPhone in the Otterbox case.

My issue NOW is that the longer, right angle USB C to lightning cables that I had to purchase to reach the iPhone, don't seat all the way in to the Otterbox case deep enough to make contact with the phones port. See attached.

I have been scouring Amazon for something that might work. I was thinking (best case scenario) a right angle USB C (for the controller end) and a straight lighting connector (that would actually fit through the hole in the end of the PGYTECH holder.). I haven't found this unicorn yet.

Next best would be a right angle USB C (for the controller end) to a right angle lightning, but with the cord coming out a bit higher on the lightning connector.

I HAVE found a straight USB C to Straight lightning 1 foot cable that will work, but I won't be able to collapse the built-in controller holder with this non-right angle cable plugged in. Doable, but not as convenient. Unless something better comes up sooner, I'll probably go this route.

1 ft straight USB C to Lightning

Ideally ANY cable would be long enough to reach both devices in the holder, but short enough so as not to have drag a "dog leash" around with me.

I have even been looking (without much success) for any kind of (not too Rube Goldberg) adapter combination that might work with my existing cables.

Any other thoughts or suggestions for this Mini2 Noob would be welcome. Thanks.
Why can't you just remove the x%#$ phone from the case when you fly? I do it all the time with the same Otterbox case and same phone as you have. The case removes and replaces very easily.

Dale, Thanks for the reply. The short answer is: I am a previous Phantom V2+ owner from the early 2014s. This monster was great when it came out but was a PITA to carry all the necessary stuff, and the complicated setup and ready to fly and actual flying was cumbersome. Further, the "Not so intelligent" BMS was abhorrent. Though I will mention, my iPhone 11Prom Max DID fit in the stock, built-in holder on the PV2+ controller.

I bought the MM2 for its compactness, ease of transport, use, setup and of course the newer, easier to use technology. These were the attractive features for me.

If I have to go through the process of removing my phone from the case each time I want to fly, It will get old quick and I just won't fly. Certainly not as often. This added step defeats some of the reasons I purchased the MM2 in the first place. I'd probably do it for a week or two, and then taper off. Purchasing a dedicated phone or tablet for the system is out of the question at this time. I've got too much $$ tied up in this now as it is.

I received my MM2 3days ago, I've read the users guide, quick setup, charger and release notes publications cover to cover as well as watched probably 30+ videos and STILL haven't even powered the unit on. I want to be well informed before powering it up.

Dale, Thanks for the reply. The short answer is: I am a previous Phantom V2+ owner from the early 2014s. This monster was great when it came out but was a PITA to carry all the necessary stuff, and the complicated setup and ready to fly and actual flying was cumbersome. Further, the "Not so intelligent" BMS was abhorrent. Though I will mention, my iPhone 11Prom Max DID fit in the stock, built-in holder on the PV2+ controller.

I bought the MM2 for its compactness, ease of transport, use, setup and of course the newer, easier to use technology. These were the attractive features for me.

If I have to go through the process of removing my phone from the case each time I want to fly, It will get old quick and I just won't fly. Certainly not as often. This added step defeats some of the reasons I purchased the MM2 in the first place. I'd probably do it for a week or two, and then taper off. Purchasing a dedicated phone or tablet for the system is out of the question at this time. I've got too much $$ tied up in this now as it is.

I received my MM2 3days ago, I've read the users guide, quick setup, charger and release notes publications cover to cover as well as watched probably 30+ videos and STILL haven't even powered the unit on. I want to be well informed before powering it up.
I feel your pain but , really, it takes me less than 15 seconds to remove the iPhone from the Otterbox case. It is not really a deterrent. Same applies when I replace the phone back into the case. It takes about 10 seconds at the most. Of course you would not need a dedicated phone. That would be a huge waste of $.

I bought this for my galaxy tab A 8" tablet I chose to fly with instead of having to upgrade my phone. Works great and is very well made and compact.

DJI Mini 2 - Tablet Extender

I bought this for my galaxy tab A 8" tablet I chose to fly with instead of having to upgrade my phone. Works great and is very well made and compact.

DJI Mini 2 - Tablet Extender
Great.

As long as I have you on the line....I am seriously considering buying a 2nd drone, a Mini 2 for travel. I presently use a 9.5 inch Apple iPad for a nice big screen, using it with Skyreat holder which I have shown ion this forum many times. I love the set up and the big picture. My question is, do you think they carry adapters for that size iPad? Here is my present set up. for Mavic 2 Pro.iPad in Skyreat Holder.jpgSkyreat-holder-side viewe.jpgSkyreatHolder-1-.jpg

Great.

As long as I have you on the line....I am seriously considering buying a 2nd drone, a Mini 2 for travel. I presently use a 9.5 inch Apple iPad for a nice big screen, using it with Skyreat holder which I have shown ion this forum many times. I love the set up and the big picture. My question is, do you think they carry adapters for that size iPad? Here is my present set up. for Mavic 2 Pro.View attachment 130930View attachment 130931View attachment 130932
Not sure how big of a tablet the bracket I bought will fit. You can email or call if not sure. I don't think the horizontal length is the issue. It's the width (smallest length side) you need to measure and see if the same bracket will support your tablet. The 8" tab I have is adequate enough but it also makes the controller very top heavy. There is also this one, but, as you can see, MUCH more $$ but seems built like a tank.

This is our most popular clamp for cell phones with a case. it will also expand to hold almost every iPad size except the 12.9", which there is a clamp for as well.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skyscansurveys