DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Need advice for IPad

CamoGreg

Reactions
Time to change the iPhone 7 Plus for an IPad.

But which one ? Some many posts, google search, DJI....

What I am sure :

128go
Wifi AND cellular

The issue is which size ??? The mini 7.9 ? Or the iPad 9.7 ?

I will purchase the mount from thorsdrone which fits both. And a sun hood from PGY.

Any advice, experience, pictures are very welcome !!

Thanks Pilots !

But which one ?
You can find a list of all compatible Apple devices here.

128go
Wifi AND cellular
Are you only going to use your iPad for flying? If so, the smallest iPad will be sufficient. If you're planning on installing a bunch of other apps and/or apps that store a lot of data, then you should consider buying an iPad with more storage.

Wi-Fi or cellular? Cellular Apple devices contain a GPS receiver (which is active even if you don't activate the cell service). The iPad's GPS is needed if you want to use the Follow Me flight mode or be able to reset the home point to your current location after taking off. If you activate the cell service, then you'll also be able to connect to the Internet and do things like download the DJI GO maps in real-time as you fly. With a Wi-Fi only iPad, you could still connect to the Internet if you're able to create a hotspot on your mobile phone.

It's really up to you. If you cannot decide, go to a store that sells iPads and take a look at them in person. That'll allow you to see if the iPad is too big/small.

I just recently switched from a Samsung Note 4 to an iPad Mini 4 a couple of weeks ago. iPad is 128 GB with cellular, first thing I have noticed is ZERO issues when flying. It is a dream to fly. BTW, I stripped the apps off because it is solely for my flying. Very happy at the moment. Good luck in your search!

Reactions: HVYMTL and go fast
You can find a list of all compatible Apple devices here.

Are you only going to use your iPad for flying? If so, the smallest iPad will be sufficient. If you're planning on installing a bunch of other apps and/or apps that store a lot of data, then you should consider buying an iPad with more storage.

Wi-Fi or cellular? Cellular Apple devices contain a GPS receiver (which is active even if you don't activate the cell service). The iPad's GPS is needed if you want to use the Follow Me flight mode or be able to reset the home point to your current location after taking off. If you activate the cell service, then you'll also be able to connect to the Internet and do things like download the DJI GO maps in real-time as you fly. With a Wi-Fi only iPad, you could still connect to the Internet if you're able to create a hotspot on your mobile phone.

It's really up to you. If you cannot decide, go to a store that sells iPads and take a look at them in person. That'll allow you to see if the iPad is too big/small.

Thanks !!!

Not only for flying but also to edit my pictures and videos.

Yes definitely the cellular one.

Will go tomorrow to test each one !

Just one more question regarding the quality of the screen.... same pixels but not same pixel per inche. Really a big difference ?

I just recently switched from a Samsung Note 4 to an iPad Mini 4 a couple of weeks ago. iPad is 128 GB with cellular, first thing I have noticed is ZERO issues when flying. It is a dream to fly. BTW, I stripped the apps off because it is solely for my flying. Very happy at the moment. Good luck in your search!

Thanks! Do you think sometime that the 9.7 would have been greater ?

Can you share a pic of the iPad with your RC ?

Here are a couple of pics of my ipad Mini 4 in the controller.
Several things I like about the Mini 4:
  1. Screen is a nice size for viewing while flying
  2. It's really light weight
  3. Good battery life
  4. Don't need to carry an adapter to mount it in the remote
  5. Go 4 app doesn't crash on me
  6. Fits nicely in the case I have for my Mavic
I'm really not an Apple guy; I have an Android phone and tablet, but the ipad is absolutely the best I've tried for flying the Mavic.
PICT0001.JPG PICT0008.JPG

iPad mini 4 with cellular. I dont have a simcard. Downloading Maps at Home. Works perfect, no issues at all. Works perfect!

Thanks for your feedback and pictures!

Looks very nice!

So nobody with the 9.7 ? Do you think it will be too big ?

Maybe get the 9.7 if you will be editing the photos/videos on it

I have the mini 4 and no need for mount. Fits in the controller with PGY sun hood on.

Not too heavy to hold, app works fine

I only have the wifi version which I tether to my iphone's hotspot when out and about.

On the rare occasion that I will use Follow Me mode or move from the initial take off point and need to reset Home Point, I also have a Garmin Glo GPS which was still cheaper to buy than the cellular ipad mini 4

Nope. I use an iPad Air 2 and love it! Yes it’s a bit bulky but I use a holder that sits it above my wrists (below the RC) with a neck strap that allows me to hold the Mavic while initiating a hand launch, so easy!

cb128df92087406757d7db1847283bd8.jpg

Edit, it’s the same as the one linked below

Last edited:
Reactions: Grippen

But which one ? Some many posts, google search, DJI....

What I am sure :

128go
Wifi AND cellular

I will purchase the mount from thorsdrone which fits both. And a sun hood from PGY.

Any advice, experience, pictures are very welcome !!

Thanks Pilots !
IPad Mini 4 Mavmount and never look back.

Attachments

• RC Mini 4 Movmount.jpg
    RC Mini 4 Movmount.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 109
Thank you very much for your feedback! I will go during lunch time to the store and have both in hand to see really which one fits the best for me ! Will keep you posted of the final decision ! See ya !

I'm able to pick up an ipad mini 4 with wifi and cellular for $200... only problem is that its 16gb.
ive been searching for something bigger but anything bigger is over 300.
how much will i hate the 16gb capacity in the ipad? should i cough up more $$ and get one with more gb or just take the good deal?

I'm able to pick up an ipad mini 4 with wifi and cellular for $200... only problem is that its 16gb.
how much will i hate the 16gb capacity in the ipad? should i cough up more $$ and get one with more gb or just take the good deal?

Take 128go.... IMO

Reactions: Z953
That's a fantastic deal assuming it doesn't have a cracked screen or some other problem. I use a mini 4 w/16gb and haven't had any problems. Just realize that your cache space will be limited.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11