DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Need advice for replacing the glass lens cover on a Mavic Pro

pretzelcuatl

Reactions
The lens coating on a used Mavic Pro I bought recently is permanently damaged (smeary), so I bought a lens cover replacement kit on ebay (the one that is the glass only, not the circuit board/lens assembly, which is far more expensive than it was a couple years ago.)

I'm about to take a blow dryer to the camera to attempt to remove the lens cover, but I'm curious what the other two things are that came with the lens cover. They appear to be some sort of film, but I'm just not sure. Are they adhesive for sticking the new glass to the front of the lens? Or are they for removing the old lens? Is the adhesive already on the new lens cover itself?

Also, because my glass is not cracked, I'm wondering if I'll just be able to use a needle and blow dryer to get it off, as I've read others have done with a cracked lens. Is it madness to consider cracking the glass to help remove it?

I'm attaching the image of the glass and the two mystery elements that came with the kit.

Thank you!

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 24
That is interesting - is it meant to be a replacement adhesive pad? I can't find that on eBay - share a link or search term?
Edit
Never mind I found one. I'll bet it is replacement adhesive.

That is interesting - is it meant to be a replacement adhesive pad? I can't find that on eBay - share a link or search term?
Edit - Never mind I found one. I'll bet it is replacement adhesive.
It's a replacement for the glass on the front of the lens.
Edit
Never mind I found one. I'll bet it is replacement adhesive.
maybe, just can’t tell. Seller did not know what he was selling, lol, didn’t have advice.

The M2P has a clear/UV filter that goes over the actual camera lens - it snaps on and off. Is it the filter that's damaged, or the actual camera lens?

Mine is a Gen 1 so it’s not so easy. It’s the filter that’s damaged, but it’s not designed to be removed, and a new lens unit is $100, so I’m hoping to just replace the glass cover.

Perhaps too little too late, but have you consulted an optician to see if they might have a solvent to clean the smear off?

Not too late, but the lens cover looks pretty bad. I think it needs to come off.
Clean it off using lacquer thinner. Works just fine without the oem film.

Did you ever get this figured out? I want to keep my camera, but the glass cover is scratched... it would be so much cheaper to just get the glass cover replaced if possible. The camera still works.

Did you ever get this figured out? I want to keep my camera, but the glass cover is scratched... it would be so much cheaper to just get the glass cover replaced if possible. The camera still works.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada