DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Need advice on flying through a tight space - see photos!

fguthrie

Reactions
First, I am having a blast! I'm working with an art organization that has created an art sculpture called "Re:Emergence". It depicts our journey into the Covid world and our exit. The group is currently building the structure and then plans to take it and display it at Burning Man. I have been photographing, creating videos (Both drone and otherwise) and documenting the sculpture as it has been created. As you can see from the photos, it is almost finished.

I have to fly through it. I mean, it is begging for me to fly through it! Plus, getting footage at night with lights on the structure will make it even more epic! I own two DJI drones (Air2S and the Mavic 2 Pro). I know I can completely disable obstacle avoidance on the Mavic 2 pro, but it doesn't look like I can with the Air2s. I can go into sport mode which disables some of the sensors. Is that the best plan? How would you do it? I was thinking about disabling sideways motion - maybe that will help to fly straight through it? Check out the attached photos to get an idea as to what this is all about. Looking forward to your feedback, thank you.

Attachments

• ReEmergence-88.jpg
    ReEmergence-88.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 188
  • ReEmergence-83.jpg
    ReEmergence-83.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 179
  • ReEmergence-56.jpg
    ReEmergence-56.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 178
First, I am having a blast! I'm working with an art organization that has created an art sculpture called "Re:Emergence". It depicts our journey into the Covid world and our exit. The group is currently building the structure and then plans to take it and display it at Burning Man. I have been photographing, creating videos (Both drone and otherwise) and documenting the sculpture as it has been created. As you can see from the photos, it is almost finished.

I have to fly through it. I mean, it is begging for me to fly through it! Plus, getting footage at night with lights on the structure will make it even more epic! I own two DJI drones (Air2S and the Mavic 2 Pro). I know I can completely disable obstacle avoidance on the Mavic 2 pro, but it doesn't look like I can with the Air2s. I can go into sport mode which disables some of the sensors. Is that the best plan? How would you do it? I was thinking about disabling sideways motion - maybe that will help to fly straight through it? Check out the attached photos to get an idea as to what this is all about. Looking forward to your feedback, thank you.
Absolutely disabling sensors is your best option since the sensors can make you crash inside the structure.
Just check what can cause the sensor.

Disable obstacle avoidance and fly manually very, very carefully by precise movements of the control sticks. It could help to add propeller guards to avoid damage if you get too close to an object.
Go to the advanced control menu and adjust settings as necessary to help with some movements, but not speed. Cine option might help.
Since this is outside you might be able to take advantage of POI options, but pay attention to obstacles or turn on obstacle avoidance when far enough away from the sctructure.

@FLDave - great idea on the Propeller guards - I am buying some now! I did not think of that. I will also look at POI. Do you know if there is a way to completely disable the obstacle avodiance sensors? Thank you.

just turn off obstacle avoidance. If you find issues with other sensors than take action. Turning off obstacle avoidance should be all you need to do and then just fly with precision stick movement. You'll learn as you go, carefully. If there is any breeze you may have other issues. GPS should help as long as there is no interference with metal structures and that's where precision control during ATTI positioning matters.

@FLDave - great idea on the Propeller guards - I am buying some now! I did not think of that. I will also look at POI. Do you know if there is a way to completely disable the obstacle avodiance sensors? Thank you.
These types of Projects are a blast. !

You will need to fly in Sport mode, I would practice the route about 3 ft away from the structure first , like a sniper firing a bullet and than readjusting for wind in that moment. I would also watch @zeusfl videos and how keeping speed on the drone was critical rather than a slow creep which you need to avoid and you can practice to see best results.

One other note start your flight much further back so you can balance speed and direction I cannot stress that enough.

Prop Guards are just going to make you go slow and creep , finding the right line is key and disabling the drone to fly sideways will also help you.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2S in the Rain,

Great suggestions @Phantomrain.org, thank you! I just did a test flying the Air2S in my house - I figure there are all kinds of issues with this (except for wind). I made a few observations. Flying slow seems problematic, as it is easier to not go straight. I also noticed even with "Obstacle Avoidance" disabled, the downward sensor on the Air2s is still active. I think I will be high enough off the ground that this should not matter, but something to be aware of. I'm going to try disabling sideways flight too and see how that goes. I also test upward sensors - no issues there.

The wind can blow the Air2s around a bit - I'm definitely concerned about that.

Great suggestions @Phantomrain.org, thank you! I just did a test flying the Air2S in my house - I figure there are all kinds of issues with this (except for wind). I made a few observations. Flying slow seems problematic, as it is easier to not go straight. I also noticed even with "Obstacle Avoidance" disabled, the downward sensor on the Air2s is still active. I think I will be high enough off the ground that this should not matter, but something to be aware of. I'm going to try disabling sideways flight too and see how that goes. I also test upward sensors - no issues there.

The wind can blow the Air2s around a bit - I'm definitely concerned about that.
Stay away from the Prop Guards if you can as they will alter the drone and best used in the house . Flying low should be no problem with the landing sensors as we skirt across the water very very low , no issues.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

I just did another test flight to use sport mode a bit more - all went well until my wife came home :oops: ! it is interesting, even inside with no wind, the Air2s is not as stable as the Mavic Pro 2. It moves slightly on its own in one direction or the other. Yet the MP2 is a bit larger which could be an issue.

Reactions: Volar Solo
This is how I would do it with a Mavic 2 Pro.
Create a waypoints mission by flying and using the C1 button to record the interim waypoints. (probably tripod mode with the sensors deactivated).
Once the points have been recorded you should be able fly the waypoints mission at cruise speed and record the video without the course corrections.
Good luck.

Reactions: fguthrie
Maybe you have to be carefull in the centre of the structure when the downward sensor is active.
Your drone will "sense" the structure and move up...

Create a waypoints mission by flying and using the C1 button to record the interim waypoints. (probably tripod mode with the sensors deactivated).
Once the points have been recorded you should be able fly the waypoints mission at cruise speed and record the video without the course corrections.
Good luck.
I was thinking the same thing. I thought I would first try it with the air2s and then the M2P. wavpoints is one of the reasons (there are otheres as well) I still have my M2p. :) Thanks!

Maybe you have to be carefull in the centre of the structure when the downward sensor is active.
Your drone will "sense" the structure and move up...
Yea, it i going to be close. I did some testing in my home. looks like I need about a foot of clearance before the downward sensor kicks in.

Reactions: Volar Solo
Good luck.
Air 2s doesn't support waypoints.

DO you know anyone local who has a CineWhoop style/size UAS? That's what you'll want to fly through something with.

Using waypoints for flight in close quarters is a good way to crash.
Waypoint flying is only as accurate as GPS so it can be +/- a few metres.
You always need a comfortable safety margin from anything you could crash into when setting up a waypoint mission.

Hate to say it, but this is a job for a dolly cam. Mount a video camera (gopro?) on a short tripod on a kids wagon, and either pull it through with a long twine, or have a kid push it thru.
I have a couple GoPros. I like your idea, but becuase the structure has many gates to step over, it might be a bumpy ride.

Using waypoints for flight in close quarters is a good way to crash.
Waypoint flying is only as accurate as GPS so it can be +/- a few metres.
You always need a comfortable safety margin from anything you could crash into when setting up a waypoint mission.
Good point and there is not a lot of room for errors.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser