DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Need help--did it wrong

Chirp

Reactions
After completing a commercial job today where I took about 50 still photos I saw all my photos looked blurry.

I'm much more familiar with photography but not so much the Mavic controls so here's what I did.

Basically the job called for pointing the drone straight and rotating the drone 360 degrees while taking a photo every 30 degrees until back to the starting point.

There is more to it but that's the gist of it.

When I was finished all my thumbnails were blurry.

I knew I set the photo for STILL CAMERA with a FAST ENOUGH SHUTTER SPEED to eliminate camera shake or movement etc etc.

Upon further investigation I found out.

Even tho I set the camera to STILL I was using the left shutter button

This gave me a whole bunch of mini-movies.
Don't be laughing now it ain't funny.

Since the movies themselves are nice and sharp is there a way I can save a sharp frame from each movie and salvage this job?

I'm not familiar with post work yet. All in all there were about 50 photos in this assignment and it would be tough to do it all again especially since it's going to rain for several days

Thanks

Try to remove your pictures directly from the SD and not from the GO4 app (compressed and low resolution)

Reactions: Chirp
Try to remove your pictures directly from the SD and not from the GO4 app (compressed and low resolution)

Thanks. My biggest problem after I do that is I need to turn in still photos to the client but I took a lot of movies instead.
I've not done any post processing yet but I will need to start learning it now...

Thanks. My biggest problem after I do that is I need to turn in still photos to the client but I took a lot of movies instead.
I've not done any post processing yet but I will need to start learning it now...

I have an app called VideoGrade and you have pictures from your video ! Quality is very good !

In Premier Pro CC 2018 and earlier, you’re able to lift images directly from those sequence clips with no loss of clipping, resolution, and/or quality...

Even the extremely basic Photos app in Windows 10 will let you extract a frame from a video. I use it occasionally because it's simple and quick.

Thank you all for these excellent suggestions!!!
If all I needed was to pull a jpg from one of my MP4 video files all of these suggestions would most likely work.

I'm pretty sure however that I'm going to reshoot because the client wants the Metadata that is included on the jpg.
Just in case anyone is unfamiliar with this I am referring to the information you get if you right-click on the file name, click 'Properties', and then select the Details tab as shown below.

upload_2017-11-7_0-45-39.png

As real estate developers they require some of this information for each image, especially the coordinates.

I checked and it appears this info is not present on the MP4 files, just the jpg's.

If you only have to make each mistake once, I'm pretty close to being just about perfect...

Reactions: Simmo
I think to get the EXIF data mate, reshoot is the only way.
Have a think about setting the camera to automatically take a photo every x seconds......
Also, I have been playing with Drone Harmony lately (which will do what you want..) and it really looks the goods!! Still trying to master it though!!

Or you could try to get the GPS info from the flight logs and add that data to the jpeg using an EXIF editor.
Sorry, no experience of doing this, just an idea.

I would highly recommend both VLC media player (probably the best freeware video player out there) and Irfanview (very lightweight and fast photo viewer/editor/batch converter/batch resizer, etc. freeware). Be sure to download the extensions package for Irfanview as well. Video stills will never be of good quality, although if taken from 4k are acceptable for web posting, email, etc. but I would NOT send those to a client (and you will also not get the EXIF info that you want). I also use a freeware image compressor called Caesium to greatly reduce the file size of images without noticeably affecting image quality. It works extremely well and maintains the original image dimensions.

I usually take at least one backup shot with my mobile phone (with location enabled) and get the co-ordinates from there if I need to. Another way of getting the co-ordinates is to check Google Maps - GPS coordinates, latitude and longitude to get them manually. Once I have them I then edit the exif data using the freeware utility Exif Pilot. It's a bit time-consuming but it does work, and will get you what want. I had to do it that way for ages until I bought a GPS unit that slots into the hot shoe of my camera. It's just a pity a frame-grab from the video doesn't also include the exif info :(

These are all great ideas! Therefore I am going to ask for another one!

I have a client who requests you take 12 photos with the drone at one particular spot in space.
Let's say you're 100' AGL and pointed towards a property.

They want one shot (all still photos) straight ahead then turn 30 degrees CCW, take a photo, turn 30 CCW, take a photo etc. etc.
It's no big deal and it's easy enough to estimate how far to yaw but it would be nice if there were some kind of indication
of heading on the Mavic display.

The only thing I see is the icon on the lower left of the monitor that indicates where the drone is pointed.

There are no tick marks or any kind of reference of heading.

No big deal but it would be nice to have either a graphical icon with tick marks every so often
or even a numeric display that the shows the heading in degrees such as 360, 270 etc.

I think I'm going to put a piece of clear tape on my iPad or iPhone and just draw a circle
with tick marks for reference.

If the Mavic has this somewhere and I missed it that would be great... Tell me where it is...

Thanks!

Use litchi to take a panorama. You set how many shots per row, divide 360 by the number of degrees 30 degree is 12 shots per row, and there you go.

Yes, Litchi is the way to go. Worth the small amount it costs to buy.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme