DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Need help. Flew into tall tree. Mavic 2 stuck!

Rastus

Reactions
Update,
I retrieved it...
It flew but it was tilted and the gimbal drifted. I didn’t trust it. I sent it in with the DJI Refresh. Paid the $119. Replacement should be here Wednesday. I assume the replacement is a refurbished unit. That’s ok as long as it was QCd.

How I got it back.
Here's the play by play...
I exported the data txt file, thanks to msinger, uploaded it to his site, downloaded a kmz file, imported it into Google Earth, pulled approx. measurements off of the street and other objects to locate the drone in the tree. Went to the site looked around; my wife found it.
Drove to Walmart. Bought what I used to call a wrist rocket (sling shot), two one oz. fishing weights and a spool of 150lb test fishing line. Shot the weights tied to the fishing line @ 45' up over the branch, weights fell down to the ground, then I shook the heck out of the branch, Mavic dropped.

Thanks for your input everyone!

View attachment 75036[/QUOTE]

Yesterday I flew into a tree about 75’ tall that has a ton of leaves. Two other people and me with binoculars never could find it in the tree. I’ll go back in a bit and see if the wind blew it out.

I have DJI Care Refresh. Do I have to physically have the drone in order for DJI to replace it?

Does DJI just sell the drone without the controller etc? I don’t see that on their site.
Thanks for the help!

IMG_0169.JPGIMG_0168.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Thomas B
Pay one of the neighborhood boys to climb the tree and get it.....

Joke.

I believe you would have to retrieve the drone in this instance for DJI to replace it. Especially since you know where it is at. I can't see them shipping you a new drone since there is a possibility that you could retrieve your old one and would end up with two drones. You could find a tree service business with a bucket truck and see what they would charge you to retrieve it for you.

I do know that DJI offers the craft alone to those utilizing the DJI education discount that they offer. It strictly comes with just the bird, no controller or battery. If I recall correctly the zoom was around $980. Don't recall what the 2P was. as msinger said, you may be able to call them and see if they'll work with ya.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. It’s unfortunate but understandable.
I’ll contact DJI and see if I can just get the drone.

Source a climbing wall company. Local co. here, they offer a service to retrieve drones from trees, cliffs, buildings, etc.

Reactions: CJH92474
Thanks for the replies. It’s unfortunate but understandable.
I’ll contact DJI and see if I can just get the drone.
They will definitely not send you a new drone under the protection plan for this.
I would hire a service to retrieve it for you. Probably cost no more then $100, seeing its a very quick job.
You could also try to spin up the motors and see what happens.

Yeah.
I’d do it in a heartbeat but I can’t find the drone in the tree. Neither could the two other people.
How accurate is the red airplane on the radar? It shows to be towards the back of the tree?
I tried to spin the motors. It would not budge. Looked last night for lights but battery is dead. Couldn’t see anything. I appreciate everyone’s input.
I think I’m still in denial. [emoji15]

• Sad
Reactions: CJH92474
They will definitely not send you a new drone under the protection plan for this.
I would....
i must disagree.
I’d still try to use your DJICare. My first replacement was for a tree catch much like yours where my drone blew out of the tree and fell 50-60’. DJI replaced it with no hassle!

i must disagree.
I’d still try to use your DJICare. My first replacement was for a tree catch much like yours where my drone blew out of the tree and fell 50-60’. DJI replaced it with no hassle!
Your drone blew out of the tree, and you retrieved it. You were able to send it to DJI.
He can not retrieve his drone.

Your drone blew out of the tree, and you retrieved it. You were able to send it to DJI.
He can not retrieve his drone.
Ahhh... missed that.
Good case for brightly colored wrap and/or a tracking device (in future) and increased distance from trees.

@Rastus ... If there is a question as to where your drone is you could submit flight logs to help find it.

Very true.
Wishing I was flying my P3Pro. That would stand out a little better.

Should have said my past P3Pro. It wound up overheating and falling out of sky.

Yesterday I flew into a tree about 75’ tall that has a ton of leaves. Two other people and me with binoculars never could find it in the tree. I’ll go back in a bit and see if the wind blew it out.

I have DJI Care Refresh. Do I have to physically have the drone in order for DJI to replace it?

Does DJI just sell the drone without the controller etc? I don’t see that on their site.
Thanks for the help!

View attachment 74905View attachment 74906
Yes you need the aircraft

Thanks for the help!

Thanks for the help!

Yes you need the aircraft
that same thing happened to me about six months ago it took me a month to find it in the tree what I did was hired a tree company and spent $250 and they retrieved it

Reactions: Anisoptera
that same thing happened to me about six months ago it took me a month to find it in the tree what I did was hired a tree company and spent $250 and they retrieved it
You have to get it down if it fell down and hit somebody you could knock them out or worse

Sorry guys I had to take 1 post out which caused me to delete the rest .
carry on

Thanks AMann. There is not a service listed close to me.

I have converted the txt flight log thanks to msinger. I'll look at it on Google earth. Is there a better more precise way to locate the drone using the txt flight log?
By the way, I want to thank msinger. You are and have been an invaluable resource to the drone community for a long time! Thank you for your time and resources!

Did you try to find my drone sounding — any tree trimmer can handle that

Reactions: RickJW
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu