DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Need help on traveling with drone

abadrs

Reactions
Im going to Cancun on Dec 31 and I'm considering taking my Mavic Pro with me. I've looked on the airline website and it says to put drone, batteries and all in your carry on bag. Any more to it than that? I'll be flying out of Pa.
Thanks

I've looked on the airline website and it says to put drone, batteries and all in your carry on bag. Any more to it than that?
That's about it.
The airline and TSA only require you to have the lithium batteries in your carry-on luggage.
You may have a few suggesting discharging batteries or Lipo bags, but those are just forum myths.

I use airlines quite often and do carry my Mavic Pro as carry on, never had a problem. I have always traveled within CONUS.

I travel a lot. Both international and domestic. I put everything in my carry on. I have never once had a problem in the years I have owned a drone.
I don’t use lipo bags either.

I will bet there will be others here to tell you 1000 or so things to do but from my personal real world experience I simply put the carry on with the drone on the security belt and get it on the other side. Post security.

Im going to Cancun on Dec 31 and I'm considering taking my Mavic Pro with me. I've looked on the airline website and it says to put drone, batteries and all in your carry on bag. Any more to it than that? I'll be flying out of Pa.
Thanks
Read Drone Laws in Mexico.
Whenever traveling to Mexico as well as other countries notorious for corruption, I keep a $20 bill within reach. If stopped by an authority, be polite and ask if you can speak privately. Ask if it is possible to pay the fine in US dollars. 9 of 10 times this solves the problem. *

* in the 1 of 10 chance it doesn't work, you don't want to know. o_O

Looking at the Drone Laws in Mexico link posted Marty above it appears as though your Mavic Pro could be illegal unless you are a Mexican citizen because it weighs over 250 g. Why not contact a local Mexican Consulate office (link to office locations) and ask them? I’ve travelled in Mexico a fair amount and find respecting local laws and local folks contributes greatly to my enjoyment. Speaking Spanish helps, but isn’t necessary for simple stuff.

Added in edit:

If you’d like to look at the “Official Word” regarding Mexican Federal regulations for drones here is a link. However, it’s in Spanish and is similarly verbose as the “Official Word” for flying in the United States by the FAA. If you decide to look at this document sections 1 & 2 are about the law itself. Section 3 is definitions. The real stuff starts in section 4 and you might look at 4.91 first. There you can see that the relevant sections for recreational flying of a drone less than 2 kg are 4.10, 4.11 and 5.1.

Howard

Last edited:
Reactions: Ron Caballero CAP
Looking at the Drone Laws in Mexico link posted Marty above it appears as though your Mavic Pro could be illegal unless you are a Mexican citizen because it weighs over 250 g.
Yikes, skipped over that critical piece of information.

Speaking Spanish helps, but isn’t necessary for simple stuff.
Simple might be, "Señor, ¿puedo pagarle la multa?" :)

It is illegal to fly your drone in Mexico if you aren’t a resident. But in reality I’ve never heard of anyone being arrested for flying their drone in Mexico, however I have heard of people getting their drones confiscated at customs, and paying a hefty duty to get it back. I’ve taken mine to Mexico and never had an issue

Reactions: Thomas B
The TSA website And the airline website Will have guidelines on how to travel with your drone. The only thing that they care about is the batteries. When I flew to Florida Delta and TSA guidelines Head me discharge my battery's. And tape over the connectors. As a precaution I also bought a lipo bag that held all 3 of my Maverick air 2 batteries Your drone can be packed anywhere but the batteries must be carry on only! TSA DIDNT EVEN HAND CHECK MY DRONE BACKPACK, JUST LET IT THROUGH. The lipo bag isn't required but it shows you are being careful and responsible. I would also print the TSA and airline guidelines in case you get questioned. TSA can do whatever they want regardless of their guidelines if someone is having a bad day but by doing everything right you will get a supervisor to let you through if things get sticky

I'm not sure where you got that idea from but there's no mention of discharging batteries on Delta's or TSA websites.
It's a common forum myth.
Discharging your batteries isn't a requirement it's just good common sense. All requirements are on their websites though

Reactions: Thomas B
I'm not sure where you got that idea from but there's no mention of discharging batteries on Delta's or TSA websites.
It's a common forum myth.
I agree. Everyone overthinks this like they are traveling with some sort of special item. I have camera batteries that are larger than some drone batteries.

I agree. Everyone overthinks this like they are traveling with some sort of special item. I have camera batteries that are larger than some drone batteries.
I crashed my drone into the Lake a few months ago And it was underwater for about 5 seconds. I dried the drone out really really well And it still works perfectly but the battery did not work properly. I decided to take that battery apart just to see what was inside and when I was taking it apart I poked the screwdriver into one of the cells And the battery caught fire right there on my kitchen table. And it was a good size flame. Anyone who does not think that lipo batteries have the potential to catch fire is being foolish. And it will only take one drone pilot being an Idiot by accidentally catching something On fire in a plane To guarantee That they will outlaw travelling with your drone on a plane. It literally takes NO EFFORT to discharge your batteries, put a piece of tape over the connector and put them in a safety bag. And that won't be a myth

Anyone who does not think that lipo batteries have the potential to catch fire is being foolish
Aviation safety authorities are well aware of the potential dangers of lithium batteries.
All airline websites specially mention lithium batteries in their safety sections yet none make any mention of discharging before travel.
And it will only take one drone pilot being an Idiot by accidentally catching something On fire in a plane To guarantee That they will outlaw travelling with your drone on a plane.
Do you know how many lithium batteries are likely to be on any passenger plane?
It's not just drone owners that fly with Lipo batteries.
Every passenger with a laptop, iPad, mobile phone, camera etc is flying with lithium batteries.
But rather than encouraging discharging batteries, airlines nowdays have charging facilities so passengers can keep their devices charged in flight !!
Should they all discharge their batteries too?

Reactions: RoarRoar
I doubt it's a regular occurrence to go taking apart a battery on a plane. You probably wouldn't be allowed that screwdriver in the first place, certainly not a knife.

It doesn't matter that Randy wants to perpetuate the same myth, it's still misinformation.
No airline or air safety authority requires or recommends that passengers discharge batteries for air travel.

The myth may have been started by DJI themselves.
DJI suggest discharging batteries for travel in their Battery Safety Guidelines which tell you:
Before carrying the Intelligent Flight Battery on an airline flight, it must first be fully discharged.

DJI got this idea from the IATA guidelines for shipping bulk quantities of lithium batteries as air freight.
IATA recommendations for cargo is the only place you find mention of SOC (state of charge).

No airline or air travel safety authority asks passengers to discharge lithium batteries before flying.
All airlines lithium battery policies are very similar as they are based on the IATA recommendations (which also make no mention of LiPo bags or discharging):

Poor wording and incorrect information in DJI documentation also makes flyers think they need to recalibrate their compasses before flight - another myth with no basis in fact.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter that Randy wants to perpetuate the same myth, it's still misinformation.
No airline or air safety authority requires or recommends discharging batteries for air travel.

The myth may have been started by DJI themselves.
DJI No airline or air travel safety authority asks passengers to discharge lithium batteries before flying.
All airlines lithium battery policies are very similar as they are based on the IATA recommendations (which also make no mention of LiPo bags or discharging):
In the dozens of times I've flown commercially the past several years, never have my drones or batteries ever been questioned. Think of the ramifications and chaos that would ensue if everyone's mobile phone battery were banned for not being discharged. The only person I know who'd get through security is my wife as her phone is never charged. ☺

Last edited:
Reactions: mahjohn
In the dozens of times I've flown commercially the past several years, never have my drones or batteries ever been questioned. Think of the ramifications and chaos that would ensue if everyone's mobile phone battery were banned for not being discharged. The only person I know who'd get through security is my wife as her phone is never charged. ☺
Just back from Cancun, took my Mavic Air 2 and had zero questions from security in the U.S.A, or in Mexico on the drone or the batteries. Both were in my carry-on.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji