DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Need help recovering corrupted Mavic MP4 file

Invertix

Reactions
Hi, I'm hoping someone might be able to help me recover a corrupted MP4 file from when I (unfortunately) crashed my Mavic Air 2.

I'm fairly computer-savvy and tried a variety of suggested methods to recover the file (see list below), but haven't had any success. (BTW, I’m working on a MAC.)

Here’s the file in case anyone wants to have a go…I placed the corrupted file (“DJI_0012.MP4”) in a dropbox folder, along with an uncorrupted sample file (“DJI_0011.MP4”), which is the last file I captured before the crash: Files for forum

If anyone can help me, I'd be so grateful! Thank you in advance!

THINGS I'VE ALREADY TRIED WITHOUT SUCCESS:

1. Used VLC to change file into AVI and then repair it.
2. Re-inserted file on SD card in drone and powered on drone, hoping drone would restore/finalize the corrupted video. (Also tried starting and stopping another video).
3. Used the open source software on this website to repair the corrupted file: Repairing Corrupt DJI Video Files

You should never really mess with the original, that being said, you can simply put it back into your repaired or a working MA2 somehow and it will write the end file and your file will be good. You say you did that but does your camera function reliable? I lost my whole phone of 3 years of pictures of my late wife, I used a program by EaseUS How to Recover Corrupted SD Card - EaseUS and while I didn't know at the time what had happened and had over written, I got about 75% of my memories back..I highly recommend their software if it is that important to you . :)

You should never really mess with the original, that being said, you can simply put it back into your repaired or a working MA2 somehow and it will write the end file and your file will be good. You say you did that but does your camera function reliable? I lost my whole phone of 3 years of pictures of my late wife, I used a program by EaseUS How to Recover Corrupted SD Card - EaseUS and while I didn't know at the time what had happened and had over written, I got about 75% of my memories back..I highly recommend their software if it is that important to you . :)
Thanks a lot of the helpful advice.

I had to replace my Mavic Air 2 so it works perfectly now. I copied the corrupted file back to the SD card (placing it in the same folder as newly created videos ("100MEDIA,") turned on the drone, waited a long time, and crossed my fingers, but unfortunately it didn't seem to write the end file or fix the corrupted file.

I'll check out the software you suggested. Just feeling kind of bummed out that on top of the $700 replacement cost of the drone, I'll also have to fork out more money for recovery software.

BTW, thank you for your Marine Corps service!

When you put the SD card back in the drone to finish the video... did you stop the recording befor powering off the drone?

Thanks a lot of the helpful advice.

I had to replace my Mavic Air 2 so it works perfectly now. I copied the corrupted file back to the SD card (placing it in the same folder as newly created videos ("100MEDIA,") turned on the drone, waited a long time, and crossed my fingers, but unfortunately it didn't seem to write the end file or fix the corrupted file.

I'll check out the software you suggested. Just feeling kind of bummed out that on top of the $700 replacement cost of the drone, I'll also have to fork out more money for recovery software.

BTW, thank you for your Marine Corps service!
Now when you put that file in and waited did you also film a short video as well and click stop. As mentioned before, powering down? Some say you don't have to do it that way, but can't hurt to try.

And like I learned to say while in the Corps, You don't have to thank me....Uncle Sam thanks me. Now with $3500 a month :p

I’ve had this problem maybe 6 times on my Mavic mini. Every time, I turn put card back in turn on mini give it 5 minutes and it’s always fixed file. Always remember to stop filming and wait before shutting off or pulling card. It needs to finish and close file or it will show as an error.

Reactions: psl_air
I was having the same issue with files being corrupt. I tried all the free fixes and then bought Wondershare Repairit for about 60$ I didn't know at the time that I could leave the card in and the m mini would repair the files. I haven't had any corruption issue ever since. Live and learn.

You can't copy the file back to the card and expect it to close. It needs to be the original card, original file, and I believe if another file is started in the mean time, it won't finish the file.

There are online services that can do that for you (it's instant) or paid software to fix MP4 files. Just so you know they never come out perfectly, I've done this a few times.

Save yourself a headache and just use Repair corrupt, unreadable MP4 MOV video files online, I've used them twice before to fix dashcam videos, just don't expect a perfect video, but it will at least play.

I had to recover some corrupt files from an underwater camera. For some odd reason the footage saved to the card, but the final formatting process failed to complete so the file was coming up as corrupt. I pretty much followed this link to the T. It worked for me.

@Invertix it sounds like you've tried most of the options listed. I've had the same issue after an "incident" and the file wasn't completely "finalized" or closed or whatever it's called. I tried everything listed above with no luck. I did go this route but make sure you browse the thread and get the latest version of the program:

I also had one file this would NOT work on and ended up trashing that file but it has worked on a couple of others for me.

I was lucky enough to repair my video with Restore.Media in the past, so I upload your files there and it fixed the corrupted one. I can see the repaired video in low resolution. However to download the file it asks for a $21 fee. If no other options help, give it a try.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98