DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Need help retrieving drone

Are you asking for someone to lift it with another drone?
If so what model of drone is it i.e. what is its weight, and do you have photos of it "hanging on the edge"? I ask because there is always the risk that if the crashed drone has snagged on the building the would-be rescue drone could be lost too.
If you are asking for someone with ladders etc., how high is the drone and do you have permisson from the building owner to use ladders etc.?

No, it doesn’t need to be lifted. It just needs a little nudge to fall off the edge. I am almost positive it’s not snagged on anything as it is a concrete commercial building. As far as the height, it’s about 3 stories high so I’m not sure ladders will do in this situation. Also, the drone is a mini 3 pro and it weighs about 250g. One of the lightest drones on the market. If you have any suggestions please shoot away. Thanks!

Last edited:
In that case the downdraught from a Phantom or Mavic 2 might dislodge it. I have seen video of a crashed drone being intentionally blown off a roof that way. If you try that approach the drone from over the roof, you wouldn't want to blow it onto the roof properly lol.

Lol it’s actually not on the roof thank god. It’s on a window ledge so I know where it will fall. Just not so sure I’ll be able to catch it, but I need to try something. Haha

Ahhh ok, would knocking on a door and asking for permission to retrieve it lead to awkward questions?

Reactions: bdahnbee
You might check with building management, maybe window cleaners are scheduled soon.
Mind you, if it's precariously balanced, the first good weather hitting that side of the building will possibly dislodge it.
Plenty of crashes in trees have seen drones eventually released from their foliage prison to fall to earth, usually during a good windy day.

You might check with building management, maybe window cleaners are scheduled soon.
Mind you, if it's precariously balanced, the first good weather hitting that side of the building will possibly dislodge it.
Plenty of crashes in trees have seen drones eventually released from their foliage prison to fall to earth, usually during a good windy day.
Ahhh ok, would knocking on a door and asking for permission to retrieve it lead to awkward questions?

I have reached out to management so I’m just waiting on a response. From the looks of it the windows do not open up so I am going to need to hire someone with a really long ladder to retrieve it. Any ideas on who to hire??

A tree surgeon might have ladders but I think they tend to throw weighted lines and then climb hauled up ropes and I doubt they'd want to throw at a window. A window cleaner might have such laddders.
But, as Mavic_South_Oz says, the first good wind may knock it down so I think time is of the essence.
As it's near glass you can't throw stuff at it and a paid 'proffessional with laddders might want written permission from the management to put ladders in contact with the building.

Lory's idea sounds possible but might want three dowels, two to guide the baloon and a longer one to nudge the drone, you'd probably have to balance the 'nudger'.

Personally I'd be inclined to try nudging it with a stick/cane taped to the drone and use a blanket etc. held by two people to catch it. al la
As it is near glass I think lifting it with a drone would be difficult

Reactions: GFields
A tree surgeon might have ladders but I think they tend to throw weighted lines and then climb hauled up ropes and I doubt they'd want to throw at a window. A window cleaner might have such laddders.
But, as Mavic_South_Oz says, the first good wind may knock it down so I think time is of the essence.
As it's near glass you can't throw stuff at it and a paid 'proffessional with laddders might want written permission from the management to put ladders in contact with the building.

Lory's idea sounds possible but might want three dowels, two to guide the baloon and a longer one to nudge the drone, you'd probably have to balance the 'nudger'.

Personally I'd be inclined to try nudging it with a stick/cane taped to the drone and use a blanket etc. held by two people to catch it. al la
As it is near glass I think lifting it with a drone would be difficult
Called a tree surgeon that is willing to do it for $300. Is this too much?

Reactions: New England Droning
Called a tree surgeon that is willing to do it for $300. Is this too much?
I have a boom truck with a basket that can reach up to about 65 feet above ground level. We typically charge around 100.00 per hour with a two hour minimum.
Depending on whether he charges travel time and how far he has to travel, he’s probably pretty close on cost. May need someone there to direct traffic depending on where he sets up.

The tree surgeons came and said it’s way too high and they don’t make ladders that tall. Ha. It’s about 40-50 feet. There’s no space for a vehicle so that’s out of the question. Might have to go with the helium balloons..
Thanks for the suggestions guys really appreciate it.

A question, how is the drone sitting/lying? E.g. on its side or back or......., what drone is it?

Another thought.
Get a bucket on a rope from the roof if they will allow access.
Put the bucket just under the aircraft and tie it off.
Then get a large fishing hook on fishing line and try to snag it.

Another thought.
Get a bucket on a rope from the roof if they will allow access.
Put the bucket just under the aircraft and tie it off.
Then get a large fishing hook on fishing line and try to snag it.
Sorry I forgot to mention this is a high-rise office building. I figure it’s too far from the roof since the drone is sitting on the 3rd floor.

If someone has a strong enough drone that can manage a 2-3' dowel mounted on the bottom, they could possibly poke the stranded drone with the end of the dowel to knock it off it's balance causing it to fall. But if it falls from 40-50 feet it could cause serious damage when it falls.
The other issues to think about are wind currents and speeds between the high rise that could push the rescue drone into the building.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851