DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Need help with propeller damage opinion

aqibmushtaq

Reactions
So i just got my Mavic Mini today and crashed it againt the ceiling fan! SMH!

Should I continue using these propellers? Looks minor scratches to me but I’m not sure.

thanks!

EA482685-E367-47EE-84C3-6B0F6CA2810E.jpeg
F2D90E26-B306-4821-87B2-63417BDFB76D.jpeg
718FC849-DA3E-4FBA-B3CB-1A9696FC9ED2.jpeg

What have I circled?

Attachments

• cropped.jpg
    cropped.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 139
I would suggest that the damage is superfiscial and nothing to worry about. Hover the drone in front of you and check for vibrations, out of balance etc.
I known that on jet engine fan blades you can have heaps of damage in certain areas without to much concern

Reactions: Richy mini
I would run it. Hover it up see how it balances as stated above, and don't fly it into stuff.:)

For me personally I would not risk it. There is a chance of small fissures becoming bigger and result in a portion breaking off thereby causing a crash The cost of new propellers seems like small price to pay for peace of mind.

What have I circled?
The second photo in the sequence does indicate a crack coming in from the trailing edge of the prop. Abrasive damage on the other prop's can be lived with, but a crack will lead to you losing a significant part of the prop at some point (when you least want it!). Avoid flying indoors, as the Mavic range rely on GPS positioning to keep them stable, and GPS is pretty unreliable-to-non-existent indoors! Flying indoors is a great way to progress toward home renovations.

I thought it was a crack, hence the question, but I thought it better to let the OP discover it for themselves.
I have had a couple of those myself, after bumping into things, and they were very hard to spot. I suspect I actually missed them initially and probably flew the drone with them, gulp.

I damaged my blades about the same as you when my drone got into a fight with the window blinds (the blinds won). In my case, I experienced erratic behavior at hover, so I replaced them. For me, the blades are cheap enough for me to not risk my drone over saving them. If I have any doubt, I will replace them.

Ich würde sie ändern! Es ist ja schon nur ein kleiner Schaden, der aber das Flugverhalten kann!
Wenn also Propeller sind ja nicht teuer!
Wenn LG Franky

File the nicks out with a finger nail file. Remove enough material to prevent crack propagation. Balance the blades by removing the same amount of material from the mate blade. Make a judgement call on replacement after dressing out the damage.

For me personally I would not risk it. There is a chance of small fissures becoming bigger and result in a portion breaking off thereby causing a crash The cost of new propellers seems like small price to pay for peace of mind.
Ditto: scuffing and minor nicks are not a problem but a crack will fail at some point. Replace cracked blades.

I would change them out and keep them. Props are too cheap to fool with even though they don't look too bad. you can dress out small damage on real props but stress points are bad news.
I know this is repeating what others have said but its something we've all be warned about over and over

File the nicks out with a finger nail file. Remove enough material to prevent crack propagation. Balance the blades by removing the same amount of material from the mate blade. Make a judgement call on replacement after dressing out the damage.
new blades are $12. Why would you go through all that and still not be sure you can rely on them?

new blades are $12. Why would you go through all that and still not be sure you can rely on them?
Takes less than one minute to "clean them up" during which a closer inspection is done. Then you can still order new blades and wait for weeks for them to arrive, and still have some thing to fly while waiting for delivery. Unless you have"prime" in that case you're back up over night.

I agree with you. I'd say maybe a few flights and then replace at best. If people don't believe me, check out my video where I explain what happens when you don't replace them.

The only time you need to replace your prop is when they are cracked. I've been flying my drone with scratches on then for months without any problems :)

The second photo in the sequence does indicate a crack coming in from the trailing edge of the prop. Abrasive damage on the other prop's can be lived with, but a crack will lead to you losing a significant part of the prop at some point (when you least want it!). Avoid flying indoors, as the Mavic range rely on GPS positioning to keep them stable, and GPS is pretty unreliable-to-non-existent indoors! Flying indoors is a great way to progress toward home renovations.

Honey, could you aim the drone over there - I'd like to remove that partition! (g)

Kawasaki9r, I don't understand how that video relates to this thread, from what I can understand the failure of a mounting stud caused the prop to come off. Can you explain please? Thanks

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada