DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NEED HELP WITH VIDEO FILES!!

Tyson

Reactions
So I went out to do a shoot of a house, got home, opened a video editor, and it won't open the files. I can play them fine on my computer but when I go to import them to a video editor, they won't open. First I tried Davinci Resolve and it said media offline. I then tried Lightworks, and they won't import. The videos won't highlight up, just faded. I can open other videos fine. The files are MP4. I also tried changing the file type to MOV but didn't make a difference. I am editing off the computer, not the SD. I copied them off the SD to the computer. Does anyone have an idea? I need to get this edited for the customer!!

It might help knowing what the video format is.

If you can play it on the computer then the video is OK, but may be in a resolution/framerate/codec incompatible with much of the software you're using.

If you're trying to use the video right from the SD card, try copying it to your hard-drive first and use from there.

It might help knowing what the video format is.

If you can play it on the computer then the video is OK, but may be in a resolution/framerate/codec incompatible with much of the software you're using.

If you're trying to use the video right from the SD card, try copying it to your hard-drive first and use from there.
It is MP4 H.264

Yes I copied it to the drive in the computer from the sd.

I converted it useing VLC. It is not the 4k resolution and some parts are missing after conversation but it's gonna have to do. I'll use what I got. I'll explain it all to the customer. Atleast I learned some things for next time!

It is MP4 H.264

Yes I copied it to the drive in the computer from the sd.

I converted it useing VLC. It is not the 4k resolution and some parts are missing after conversation but it's gonna have to do. I'll use what I got. I'll explain it all to the customer. Atleast I learned some things for next time!
Why did you convert the original files? Normally, the files are either MP4 or MOV and they do not need to be converted.

As you were able to open the original files without a problem, there must be a reason in the software. A wild guess, but it might be, that your software is not able to open 4K files (due to the version). A solution then could be updating the software.
Another cause could be a conflict between two drivers, a known problem on older macs.

VLC is a good all around player but why convert? Obviously vlc is not a great way to change the files. As you found out.
The original files can just be uploaded straight to YouTube.
Your problem is at the computer side. If you are doing paid work I suggest practice editing files before a deadline.

The software I am useing both supports 4K. I converted so that the editor would open the files.

As for 'practice editing files before a deadline' for paid work, I have used the editor's before and am familiar with them. I have edited many videos before so I know what I'm doing enough to edit for paid work.

I have never had trouble editing 4K videos on this software before until now. Somthing must be different.

No offense intended. I wish you the best of luck. Seems that you are well versed in 4k file use.

What drone (?) were you using?
There's nothing unusual or difficult about DJI video files unless you have one which records H.265 which can cause older computers some grief.
I'm wondering if the files are in some way corrupted, this can happen if the SD has been over written numerous times without being formatted in camera, or maybe it's faulty.
Also it's important to give the camera time to close the file(s) each time i.e. don't just kill the power without giving it a minute or so after stopping the recording.
There's a certain mount of buffering to clear and index writing must be completed each time.
Generally if they play OK I would expect editing software to be OK with them too.

What drone (?) were you using?
There's nothing unusual or difficult about DJI video files unless you have one which records H.265 which can cause older computers some grief.
I'm wondering if the files are in some way corrupted, this can happen if the SD has been over written numerous times without being formatted in camera, or maybe it's faulty.
Also it's important to give the camera time to close the file(s) each time i.e. don't just kill the power without giving it a minute or so after stopping the recording.
There's a certain mount of buffering to clear and index writing must be completed each time.
Generally if they play OK I would expect editing software to be OK with them too.
Mavic 2 Pro. I formatted the SD card before and stopped the recording first.

I have had mixed results with VLC both converting and playing h.265 footage. On Mac I use QuickTime for playback, Final Cut for editing and color correction, and Compressor for resizing and re-encoding. All at current release level. If you use an U3 rated SD card, you will have a pretty robust system

Also recording in 4k and using an SD card that's too slow likely will result in parts of the video being corrupted. 4K recording requires U3 certified SD card.

My interpretation of the original post was that the entire video played flawlessly with the default player but failed in editors. That sounded strange. However if parts of the video is corrupted, then it makes sense.

May need to download a codec for the type of file you are using in your video editor.
All mpg4 or mov files are not universal.

My Question to is has your Mavic 2 Pro had any problems in the past or is it a new drone?
The following may not be relevant if your drone has taken good movies before, that import without a problem.

I have a Mavic 2 Pro (12 July 2019) with all software & firmware up to date on my M2P and PC. The photographs are great but the movie files will not import into Adobe CC 2019 software. The movies in any format up to 4K all fail. They will play in VLC with occasional short 'gray outs'. If I use the Handbrake application, the movies convert flawlessly so I suggest you do a convert using the free Handbrake software to see if you get a better result. The link is HandBrake: Open Source Video Transcoder

After countless testing and dialog with DJI Australlia since the 9/9/2019, they requested I send my Mavic 2 Pro to them for inspection. I sent it two days ago. I have taken 4K movies with my Mavic Air, Canon 5D mkiv, Panasonic Lumix, Iphone etc and have never had a problem.

smokieflies is correct; the MP4/MOV format is a 'container' and can have many variations of Codec's within the container.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser