DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Need some pointers

A couple of things
  • 360p resolution is not good enough, was this the video off the SD card or the cached version on the phone ?
  • video color saturation was low, what settings did you use ? maybe try a polarising filter
  • shooting at the end or beginning of the day gives more dramatic lighting , lengthening shadows and improving the quality of the light. Shooting around the middle of the day gives you very flat light.
  • orbit was too fast after 0.36
  • After rising up, I might have flown away and flown back in towards the tower (shows the surrounding countryside) and then done the slow orbit going closer as you rotated around.

Last edited:
Shot in HDR 4K 30fps and auto.
Will try a filter next time I shoot this in the middle of the day.
I can not film during the time you suggest so have to make do with what time I can get during the day.
I need to learn how to slow the orbit down using the app.
Good suggestions about flying away etc.

I am going to go and re-shoot this next week probably as it is forecast for rain over the next few day.

Thank you very much

I have a some questions.
Does it look like this when you play it back before you uploaded it to YouTube?
Did you make any changes in the video editing software or did you keep it at 4k 30fps?

The reason I ask is because we are seeing it after the fact.

I used Imovie to edit and it looked good.
Never made any changes during edit.
Uploaded as SD 480p (640x360)

Maybe you can try uploading the full resolution video to youtube

This might help changing the color and saturation in iMovie

Maybe you can try uploading the full resolution video to youtube

This might help changing the color and saturation in iMovie

Thanks for the links and tips...

• During the orbit add some text to include information about the Diamond Tree i.e. its location, history, and what it is used for. That information is in the beginning but the video needs to be paused to read it.
• Replace the trip back down the tree with a wide pull back showing its placement in the environment.

Reactions: ThommoPerth
• During the orbit add some text to include information about the Diamond Tree i.e. its location, history, and what it is used for. That information is in the beginning but the video needs to be paused to read it.
• Replace the trip back down the tree with a wide pull back showing its placement in the environment.
Thanks for the tips :)

I applaud your effort and desire to make your flights and videos better. Since you asked for "pointers"...

1) Try for more variety of perspective. While I recognize the brevity of the clip, the shots in this clip were limited to up/down and around. How about over the top looking down? Perhaps dronie or a rocket (both pre-programmed into the drone for automatic piloting). On a circle shot you don't have to use the full 360° trip.
2) I understand you were using the sign to provide setting information. How about some B-roll approaching the area, creating your own title? 2a) Try not to use static images in a video. Unless for come creative aspect the video should almost always be in motion.
3) Try to incorporate some views that have more dynamic composition. [Google "Golden rule of thirds"].
4) Make sure your transitions match the "style key" of the type of video you're making. I would have preferred dissolves or jump-cuts to a wipe transition.
5) Look to optimize the color/contrast/saturation/white balance. Can iMovie do this?
6) When previewing/reviewing, ask yourself how each clip, how each element within the clip makes you "feel", then edit accordingly. Perhaps this is the best piece of advice I could give.

Thanks for sharing.

I applaud your effort and desire to make your flights and videos better. Since you asked for "pointers"...

1) Try for more variety of perspective. While I recognize the brevity of the clip, the shots in this clip were limited to up/down and around. How about over the top looking down? Perhaps dronie or a rocket (both pre-programmed into the drone for automatic piloting). On a circle shot you don't have to use the full 360° trip.
2) I understand you were using the sign to provide setting information. How about some B-roll approaching the area, creating your own title? 2a) Try not to use static images in a video. Unless for come creative aspect the video should almost always be in motion.
3) Try to incorporate some views that have more dynamic composition. [Google "Golden rule of thirds"].
4) Make sure your transitions match the "style key" of the type of video you're making. I would have preferred dissolves or jump-cuts to a wipe transition.
5) Look to optimize the color/contrast/saturation/white balance. Can iMovie do this?
6) When previewing/reviewing, ask yourself how each clip, how each element within the clip makes you "feel", then edit accordingly. Perhaps this is the best piece of advice I could give.

Thanks for sharing.
Thank you for your pointers, it seems I have a lot to learn not only about droning but also general photography. It will keep my old brain busy which is good :)

Thank you for your pointers, it seems I have a lot to learn not only about droning but also general photography. It will keep my old brain busy which is good :)

This is all a learning process. Simple as it sounds, if you're flying a drone for video footage the learning process is like "drinking from three fire hoses- at once". Not only are you learning to fly, but shooting while trying to keep a drone going where you want it to, and then... editing, which is a whole (hole o_O) 'nother thing altogether.

Reactions: ThommoPerth
The one thing I'd say is that I personally cut whilst there is movement. IE, on the rising shot, cut whilst still rising - looks better.

Also, be careful with the length of orbits. I put up a video and it had a 360 orbit of a lighthouse. The comment on here was that it was WAY too long, and that's a valid point. maybe break up the orbit with other footage, or limit the orbit to just a section and cut to music if possible.

To be honest, most of what comes off my drone is garbage. Drone going up, down, positioning, jerky flying etc. But the bit that isn't any of those things can usually be made into something good. I go through all of the footage, chop out the stuff I won't use, look for duplicates or similar and use only the best. People's attention span is short so you really need maximise your best bits :)

To be honest, most of what comes off my drone is garbage. Drone going up, down, positioning, jerky flying etc. But the bit that isn't any of those things can usually be made into something good. I go through all of the footage, chop out the stuff I won't use, look for duplicates or similar and use only the best. People's attention span is short so you really need maximise your best bits :)

If can inject into the above (great) comment... One of the biggest mistakes that we all can make is forgetting to turn the record button on. We get our attention focused on flying or issues that pop up in pre-flight and just forget to turn the darn recorder on. Sometimes we mistake what mode the record is in during mid flight. I tend to just start recording at takeoff and end recording when I land (making sure to turn off the video before turning off the drone- Minis are susceptible to file corruption if you don't end the video before powering down). Then, as @Greekislandlover pointed out, I go through the footage and chop it up. I've learned that "trim" is my friend as opposed to "cut".

Also, loosely related to the above... I use Davinci Resolve for editing. I recommend this program for anyone who wants to do video editing. Believe it or not, I struggled with the most basic editing programs and was totally frustrated. But while Davinci Resolve is a world class, full featured editing program. And while it has some unbelievably advanced functions, I found the basics easier to learn than some of the simple programs, and little by little am learning some of the more advanced functions. I can't believe this program is FREE. Many many tutorials and even a support forum.

Need some basic pointers, this is my latest effoet and not very pleased with the results.
Hi Thommo,
Most of the comments are about editing and shooting techniques, there is nothing to add. I played around a little bit with the saturation and added a better fitting music, I hope you don´t mind :rolleyes:

cheers Paul

Reactions: muchuckwagon
Keep in mind, I know zero about videography and I’m still learning to fly smoothly. I say experiment. Try these angles, you can always delete what doesn’t turn out.

1. Get directly above the tower, point the camera straight down and then fly the drone straight up into the air.

2. Start off level with the tower and close. Pull back and rise up to reveal the magnitude of the tower and trees

3. Hover the drone low (20ish feet) and about the same distance back from a point where you can walk into the woods. You walk into the frame and then off into the woods.

4. Is there a clear path to the tower in the woods you can fly without crashing that is 4 or 5 feet off the ground? If so, go slow and speed it up in editing.

5. Start level with the tower and it out of frame. Fly parallel to the tower to bring it in and out of frame.

Will any of these work? I’m not certain. Play around with it until you find something you like. I do think you are off to a nice start. Good luck.

Hi Thommo,
Most of the comments are about editing and shooting techniques, there is nothing to add. I played around a little bit with the saturation and added a better fitting music, I hope you don´t mind :rolleyes:

cheers Paul
Hi Paul, the music is much better than I had, another thing I have to come to grips with :)

Keep in mind, I know zero about videography and I’m still learning to fly smoothly. I say experiment. Try these angles, you can always delete what doesn’t turn out.

1. Get directly above the tower, point the camera straight down and then fly the drone straight up into the air.

2. Start off level with the tower and close. Pull back and rise up to reveal the magnitude of the tower and trees

3. Hover the drone low (20ish feet) and about the same distance back from a point where you can walk into the woods. You walk into the frame and then off into the woods.

4. Is there a clear path to the tower in the woods you can fly without crashing that is 4 or 5 feet off the ground? If so, go slow and speed it up in editing.

5. Start level with the tower and it out of frame. Fly parallel to the tower to bring it in and out of frame.

Will any of these work? I’m not certain. Play around with it until you find something you like. I do think you are off to a nice start. Good luck.
All good suggestions Thank you.

One other thing, make sure to use manual camera settings, ie manual shutter speed. This will prevent changes in the exposure during the shot.

Reactions: Greekislandlover
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oshgeo