DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Neighborhood Watch & Video Quality Question

Chaosrider

Reactions
Here's a link to one of my early FPV vids, still in Normal Mode. It gives a good sense of where I fly, and what the FPV can do in this environment:

It's a fairly big file. I haven't yet put together a good edited FPV vid, but that's certainly on the list.

One thing I've noticed in the 4K vids from the FPV aircraft SD card is that there seems to be light level variations in the recording, when there's no obvious reason for it. Is that common? Is there something I can do to fix it?

The vids from the goggles SD card don't show that effect at all.

Suggestions?

Thx!

Here's a link to one of my early FPV vids, still in Normal Mode. It gives a good sense of where I fly, and what the FPV can do in this environment:

It's a fairly big file. I haven't yet put together a good edited FPV vid, but that's certainly on the list.

One thing I've noticed in the 4K vids from the FPV aircraft SD card is that there seems to be light level variations in the recording, when there's no obvious reason for it. Is that common? Is there something I can do to fix it?

The vids from the goggles SD card don't show that effect at all.

Suggestions?

Thx!
That's a HUGE file! Currently downloading it to watch it. As for light levels, yes, that's common. You could always manually set the settings, so they don't change. I've seen the option under the camera menu, but never messed with them.

WOW! What a beautiful place. You'll have some awesome video's once you're in Manual and surfing down those mountains! I didn't notice anything weird with the lighting variations, but what I did notice was the stuttering/shaking of the video that started at about 1:23 in. Seemed to happen when you lowered the gimble and started to descend. Wonder if the gimble was being shaken from the prop wash? I've never flown with the gimble aimed down, maybe I'll have to see if the same thing happens. Gorgeous neighborhood, I'm envious. We don't have any mountains here, just hills. :rolleyes:

That's a HUGE file! Currently downloading it to watch it. As for light levels, yes, that's common. You could always manually set the settings, so they don't change. I've seen the option under the camera menu, but never messed with them.
Yeah, I need to increase my time allocation for editing.

I watched all of my vids from the aircraft SD yesterday to get a better feel for the issue. That's not as impressive as it sounds...I've had it less than a month, so I don't have that many vids yet!

It turns out that it's an occasional problem, and mostly doesn't occur. Also, it was mostly in the earlier vids, so maybe it was some kind of start-up transient. It was weird because it was short-period; The entire screen would suddenly get a bit darker, but that would only last a second or two. It's like the light level was "bouncing".

I generally fly in a very bright environment, so that may be a contributing factor.

Do you know what the setting is to manage this?

Anyone?

Thx!

:)

Change the exposure settings to manual/pro and set the settings for about -0.3EV. You should be ISO100, with a high shutter speed.

Auto will constantly adjust the exposure to be about 0.0 which is "properly metered"

EDIT: I just realized this was the DJI FPV, not sure if these settings exist in craft.

WOW! What a beautiful place. You'll have some awesome video's once you're in Manual and surfing down those mountains! I didn't notice anything weird with the lighting variations, but what I did notice was the stuttering/shaking of the video that started at about 1:23 in. Seemed to happen when you lowered the gimble and started to descend. Wonder if the gimble was being shaken from the prop wash? I've never flown with the gimble aimed down, maybe I'll have to see if the same thing happens. Gorgeous neighborhood, I'm envious. We don't have any mountains here, just hills. :rolleyes:
Yes, this is my Pilot Paradise!

Think of the scene in the second Star Wars movie, The Empire Strikes Back, when the speeders trying to locate Luke and Han are undulating up and down over the undulating snow covered terrain below. My stomach stood up and took notice the first time I saw that in the theater.

I want to replicate that view on my own undulating landscape!

Good point about the gimbal position, I'll have to pay more attention to that on future flights, and see if there's any correlation. It does shake like a banshee when I bring it down fast, which I need to do when I'm at 1200 ft ATL! And as is clear from the video, I stay well under 400 ft AGL...perhaps a bit too far under on occasion!

:cool:

Thx!

Change the exposure settings to manual/pro and set the settings for about -0.3EV. You should be ISO100, with a high shutter speed.

Auto will constantly adjust the exposure to be about 0.0 which is "properly metered"

EDIT: I just realized this was the DJI FPV, not sure if these settings exist in craft.

@Chaosrider these settings can be changed on the FPV. With the goggles and aircraft connected and using the 5D button, go to SETTINGS - CAMERA - CAMERA PARAMETERS - CAMERA MODE and change from Auto to Manual. From that point, you can change the camera settings. Maybe that'll help, I've never personally done it before flying.

Worth a look the next time I fly!

What exposure would you suggest? I usually fly in bright light conditions, so a high shutter speed seems reasonable.

Thx.

It really depends on what the EV meter states. Point the camera at an average scene, maybe 1/3 of the top being sky. There should be a little meter somewhere with a range of -3 to + 3EV. I would aim for 0.0 which is "proper" exposure and adjust up or down depending on how the footage looks to you.

Keep in mind that these are generally not set it and forget it values, they will change depending on the day.

It really depends on what the EV meter states. Point the camera at an average scene, maybe 1/3 of the top being sky. There should be a little meter somewhere with a range of -3 to + 3EV. I would aim for 0.0 which is "proper" exposure and adjust up or down depending on how the footage looks to you.

Keep in mind that these are generally not set it and forget it values, they will change depending on the day.
You may well be right, but putzing around with camera settings for each flight isn't my idea of a good time!

Interesting that you should suggest the top 1/3 being sky. Even with the Minis, I learned that I got the best video results if I minimize the amount of sky in the frame.

Fortunately, when you're flying toward a 1200 ft high wall of granite most of the time, keeping the amount of sky in the frame down, is pretty easy!

1653071325649.png

I only saw the problem in my earlier flights, so I'll just keep flyin' and watch how it turns out for a while.

Thx!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929