DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Neighbourhood busy bodies

MavicPro2

Reactions
Being a member of this forum for some time now means I'm fully aware of how drones are viewed by those who dont have them but I have been shocked to learn how just much. After visiting a friend in essex this weekend who has a large garden backing onto a golf course we took the mavic out for a quick 15 minute spin, over the course only and pretty high up 250-300m. This morning he has sent me a link to his community FB page already inundated with 200+ comments from scathing neighbours all wanting to know who it was and how dare someone fly "near their property with a spy drone"! I feel pretty bad for him now as these are his neighbours who will find that witch evetually but I think the world has actually gone mad. Do I post the flight path to this FB page to prove I was nowhere near anyones property or do you think that will stir the hornets nest?

Reactions: Rbruz and CornerGuy
I'd just ignore them, responding won't help and they will probably get even more hysterical if they have you as a target too.
It's odd really I've only had requests from people who want me to do stills or photo of their house/farm/work.
I do try to avoid showing private areas behind that aren't usually seen though.

It's not a brilliant idea to fly near posh houses on a sunny weekend when 90% of them will be home and outside to see it. When they are inside with windows shut they won't hear it so will never know you were there.

Wow.

And I constantly read in articles that folks in the US are paroanoid over drones and privacy.

My personal experience however has been glaringly different.

In many years of flying here, in the city, or out in the country, I've never had one single individual, object or even question my flight, other than genuine enthusiastic interest.

Last edited:
I personally think that forums like these make us think that drone-hate is more rabid than it really is. You have to keep in mind that forums tend to lean towards all the negatives of anything rather than the positives.

In my personal experience... folks in my neighborhood are more genuinely interested in my drone and how interesting it is rather than thinking that I'm spying on them or something dubious like that. I've had many people walk up to me asking me all about the drone and how it works and I've never once had someone in my neighborhood get angry about it.

The ONLY time I've experienced even the slightest discord is while flying at Huntington Beach State Park in South Carolina. I launched from a beach access path and during my flight I had probably 10-15 people walk by me. I said good morning to each of them and I think 2 couples grumbled at me while everyone else was very friendly. I can SORT-OF understand why someone might not like the idea of me flying a drone there as it's a very peaceful natural place where people go to get away from the hustle and bustle of the world. But still... these people are likely the same ones that get agitated at the drop of hat anyway so I can't be bothered by them.

Long story short - I do think some people are concerned about drones but I also think that this forum makes the issue seem much bigger than it really is. My personal experiences do not match up to what I read about here. Not to say that the issues posted here aren't real (I believe they are) and not to say that my personal experience will match everyone else's but... you get my point.

As long as you keep within the law (which you didn't on this occasion judging by the height you mention) and be a considerate/responsible pilot, then you're not giving them any ammunition.
There will always be some who aren't happy. Let them remain unhappy!

sigpic96135_98.gif

I think Your" Friend" is about to get shunt buy his community
unless you can deflect the heat from your impromptu fly over
and this is how you can do it....... Rent a van(lorry) hire a Clown and tape a banner to side of said Lorry say's
FREE CANDY.INSIDE
Drive through the community....... Just a thought

People love to moan something to talk about for them. Run a few litchi missions over where they live really get them going haha

Reactions: Rbruz
I personally think that forums like these make us think that drone-hate is more rabid than it really is. You have to keep in mind that forums tend to lean towards all the negatives of anything rather than the positives.

In my personal experience... folks in my neighborhood are more genuinely interested in my drone and how interesting it is rather than thinking that I'm spying on them or something dubious like that. I've had many people walk up to me asking me all about the drone and how it works and I've never once had someone in my neighborhood get angry about it.

The ONLY time I've experienced even the slightest discord is while flying at Huntington Beach State Park in South Carolina. I launched from a beach access path and during my flight I had probably 10-15 people walk by me. I said good morning to each of them and I think 2 couples grumbled at me while everyone else was very friendly. I can SORT-OF understand why someone might not like the idea of me flying a drone there as it's a very peaceful natural place where people go to get away from the hustle and bustle of the world. But still... these people are likely the same ones that get agitated at the drop of hat anyway so I can't be bothered by them.

Long story short - I do think some people are concerned about drones but I also think that this forum makes the issue seem much bigger than it really is. My personal experiences do not match up to what I read about here. Not to say that the issues posted here aren't real (I believe they are) and not to say that my personal experience will match everyone else's but... you get my point.

This has been my experience as well. I often find myself bringing along a family member or friend when I fly so that they can handle the curious onlookers as I fly.

The only aggression anyone has shown me at all normally starts with "If that thing gets anywhere near me...."
And my thought: "If I get my $1,000+ drone anywhere close enough for somebody to swat it out of the sky.....I've failed as a pilot"

I have seen plenty of talk of drone hate on the forums. I thought it was just an American thing to be honest. Never encountered anything like it myself in the UK. What you're describing sounds as much like a Facebook issue as a drone one. Facebook breeds and encourages utter narcissism. Probably why these bunch of self obsessives believe you would have any interest in filming them. If it wasn't for putting your friend in a difficult position then I'd definitely pipe up and respond.

Find a hidden position to launch from and buzz the entire neighborhood.

When your friend is confronted again say it was not me but I heard the city has a drone and is looking for building code violations.

Actually true where I live.

Find a hidden position to launch from and buzz the entire neighborhood.

When your friend is confronted again say it was not me but I heard the city has a drone and is looking for building code violations.

Actually true where I live.
LOL! I've heard this rumor too in Charlotte, NC. I do not know if it's true though or just a rumor. Seems like a good way into scaring people to filing proper permits.

There has been talk recently in my area (Australia) of the local council using drones to monitor pool fencing regulations, they are quite strict here and even temporary blow up pools if over a foot deep require safety fencing...

I'm actually surprised I have not created some posts on my Nextdoor group. They go crazy about the most ridiculous things.

Being a member of this forum for some time now means I'm fully aware of how drones are viewed by those who dont have them but I have been shocked to learn how just much. After visiting a friend in essex this weekend who has a large garden backing onto a golf course we took the mavic out for a quick 15 minute spin, over the course only and pretty high up 250-300m. This morning he has sent me a link to his community FB page already inundated with 200+ comments from scathing neighbours all wanting to know who it was and how dare someone fly "near their property with a spy drone"! I feel pretty bad for him now as these are his neighbours who will find that witch evetually but I think the world has actually gone mad. Do I post the flight path to this FB page to prove I was nowhere near anyones property or do you think that will stir the hornets nest?

Rangers at Huntington Beach are cool. They say, "have fun just don't fly over other visitors."

Reactions: Rbruz
Why take your hobby and ruin someone else's? People who are playing Golf don't want to hear your drone overhead all the time. Take it somewhere else to fly.

Reactions: hibby
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wlochaty