Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NEOWISE

itsneedtokno

I'm chillin, appreciate it though.
Reactions
Site
codyshoaf.myportfolio.com
I initially tried from my back porch last Thursday, but while I could see Venus and Capella, I was not quite high enough to see Neowise. Decided to try again Sunday morning, but this time headed to higher elevation. Left the house right around 3am, got to a spot that I had hoped would work just before 4am. There was already 1 other guy there doing the same thing I was, within 5 minutes another car pulled in.

We were all sort of discussing hoping to see the comet and wondering where we should look, knowing Venus was directly ahead and to the right helped figure things out. Set up my camera for a quick test shot, pulled that up on the screen and see the comet pretty much directly in front of me, showed the other 2 guys where to point there camera. Once we knew where to look you could easily see the comet and the tail with the naked eye. Spent about 2 hours there, the conditions were perfect, warm weather, clear sky, even the sunrise itself was incredible (funnily enough, I did not really bother with sunrise shots, but as I said to another guy who lives close by, I can be at that same spot for a sunrise any day). We left when the comet had virtually disappeared due to the rising sun.

By the time I left there were I think 7 vehicles all of us taking pictures. I took my middle son with me, so the experience was made all the more special that we could watch together. Highly recommend trying to get out and see it if you can. I took these with a Nikon D3200, Tamron 70-300mm lens and a Rokina 11-16mm lens, pretty decent for what's an "entry level" budget setup.

Attachments

• neowise1.jpg
    neowise1.jpg
    354.7 KB · Views: 51
  • neowise2.jpg
    neowise2.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 52
  • neowise3.jpg
    neowise3.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 48
I was on the shore of Lake Erie, slightly west of Cleveland. I could see the correct stars but never did see the comet. So I took a few shots in the dark (actually a brightening morning sunrise) . I caught the comet in few frames but after a Few minutes the sky was too bright for the camera to find it. Hoping for better luck now that’s it is an evening comet.

Attachments

• 00EDA0A5-CB21-41E5-ACFC-5E35EA19719E.jpeg
    00EDA0A5-CB21-41E5-ACFC-5E35EA19719E.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 30
I initially tried from my back porch last Thursday, but while I could see Venus and Capella, I was not quite high enough to see Neowise. Decided to try again Sunday morning, but this time headed to higher elevation. Left the house right around 3am, got to a spot that I had hoped would work just before 4am. There was already 1 other guy there doing the same thing I was, within 5 minutes another car pulled in.

We were all sort of discussing hoping to see the comet and wondering where we should look, knowing Venus was directly ahead and to the right helped figure things out. Set up my camera for a quick test shot, pulled that up on the screen and see the comet pretty much directly in front of me, showed the other 2 guys where to point there camera. Once we knew where to look you could easily see the comet and the tail with the naked eye. Spent about 2 hours there, the conditions were perfect, warm weather, clear sky, even the sunrise itself was incredible (funnily enough, I did not really bother with sunrise shots, but as I said to another guy who lives close by, I can be at that same spot for a sunrise any day). We left when the comet had virtually disappeared due to the rising sun.

By the time I left there were I think 7 vehicles all of us taking pictures. I took my middle son with me, so the experience was made all the more special that we could watch together. Highly recommend trying to get out and see it if you can. I took these with a Nikon D3200, Tamron 70-300mm lens and a Rokina 11-16mm lens, pretty decent for what's an "entry level" budget setup.
Amazing!

Thanks for sharing!

When I lived in northern Minnesota we photographed Northern lights. Right after sunset we would crank up the cameras ISO to see early faint light. Using the camera as a detector instead of a pretty picture machine. Helped us locate the NL early on and get ideas for composition, framing, etc. With this comet do the same thing. If you can see correct stars, correct time but can’t see the faint comet, shoot anyway.

Attachments

• 71692583-6BE2-40A4-8D67-6D1D50916609.jpeg
    71692583-6BE2-40A4-8D67-6D1D50916609.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 22
Reactions: sdcinvan
Yep, clouded over here last night as well. I could just about see The Big Dipper / Ursa Major through the cloud cover, but it was cloudy enough that I did not bother driving to higher elevation. Keeping an eye on the weather this evening, fingers crossed.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
This thread is registered as off-topic... but why not on-topic?
Tonight, I wanted to see if I could capture Comet Neowise C-2020 F3 with my DJI Mavic Mini and I did. :) I wonder if I am the first to capture any comet with the Mavic Mini?

This was my first attempt in the middle of a light-polluted city and with a bit of wind. Next time, I will take many pictures and stack them. Maybe try ISO 800?

I did not dare go higher than 50 meters because I think I may be breaking a law by flying at night. I need to check my local drone flying rules.

Attachments

• DJI_0110 - Comet Neowise C-2020 F3.JPG
    DJI_0110 - Comet Neowise C-2020 F3.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 37
Last edited:
That's awesome! I debated doing the exact same thing with my Mavic 2. Might give that a try this evening.

I went back out last night, was kind of cool to see the comet above town below, the Milky Way was also really clear behind me so of course I took a picture of that as well. Typically with Milky Way shots I will stack a bunch, but there were so many vehicles driving up last night that I could only realistically get 1 at a time before headlights came through.

Attachments

• n1.jpg
    n1.jpg
    691.7 KB · Views: 28
  • n2.jpg
    n2.jpg
    291.3 KB · Views: 28
  • n3.jpg
    n3.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
That's awesome! I debated doing the exact same thing with my Mavic 2. Might give that a try this evening.

I went back out last night, was kind of cool to see the comet above town below, the Milky Way was also really clear behind me so of course I took a picture of that as well. Typically with Milky Way shots I will stack a bunch, but there were so many vehicles driving up last night that I could only realistically get 1 at a time before headlights came through.

Very nice photos.

It would be awesome to see what the better camera on the Mavic 2 can do. I think you can also expose for 8 seconds (as opposed to 4 seconds on my Mini). But even 4 seconds is hit/miss for stability.

I went to try last night, but problem number 1... it was pretty windy here so not so stable. I did give it a try though and here is where problem number 2 came along, somehow my microSD card got corrupted, so the pictures I did take I could only retrieve 4 of them. Ended up having to format the card and to be honest, I now don't trust it for use in the drone anymore. I think I could spot the comet, but again, with how windy it was they were not great.

You are right though, you can expose for 8 seconds, I was trying 8 seconds at f/2.8 with an ISO of 400. It's cloudy here today and windy again, so doubt I'll try today. But, if the weather is calm anytime in the next few days I do want to try again (after I also pick up a new microSD card).

I went to try last night, but problem number 1... it was pretty windy here so not so stable. I did give it a try though and here is where problem number 2 came along, somehow my microSD card got corrupted, so the pictures I did take I could only retrieve 4 of them. Ended up having to format the card and to be honest, I now don't trust it for use in the drone anymore. I think I could spot the comet, but again, with how windy it was they were not great.

You are right though, you can expose for 8 seconds, I was trying 8 seconds at f/2.8 with an ISO of 400. It's cloudy here today and windy again, so doubt I'll try today. But, if the weather is calm anytime in the next few days I do want to try again (after I also pick up a new microSD card).

Well A+ points for trying. :)

The comet is getting closer and brighter (up to July 22). Cloudy weather here, but the weekend is looking great!

On my next night time flight (I checked with Transport Canada - I can fly as long as it is in sight at all times), I going to take it up to about 100 meters and take as many shots as possible, then stack the good ones (~60% are blurred at 4 seconds), try different ISOs (3200 is terrible, 400 is good). Stacking will help reduce noise and increase contrast, maybe add a dark frame.

The problems I encountered: The Mavic Mini is really reluctant to fly in the dark. Once it's up, I cannot see where the camera is pointing without some kind of visual reference. Taking the shots doesn't reveal anything so I just have to wait until I download the photos later.

Reactions: naiku
Last night was cloudy here as well, if it is clear tonight I may try with the drone (assuming of course I have a new memory card). The Mavic 2 has the same issue as your Mavic Mini though, even with the shutter wide open you can't really see what the pictures are of until downloading to a computer. Thankfully, knowing the general direction, especially in relation to The Big Dipper at least makes it a little easier.

Awesome Pics folks. We have clear skies here in Vegas almost every night. Tonight should be good and for the next few nights to photo the comet. I hope to give it a try tonight winds permitting. Mavic Mini. Will try 400', ISO 400 and 4 seconds based on what I have read above (lots of 4's!). Hope to see more pics.

Looking forward to them @Paleomanjim .... I wonder if you could get the Vegas strip with the comet above it, having never been to Vegas I have no idea if that is possible, but would certainly make a cool shot. I'm watching the weather for tonight with the drone, then planning to head out a couple more times in the evening with the DSLR.

Looking forward to them @Paleomanjim .... I wonder if you could get the Vegas strip with the comet above it, having never been to Vegas I have no idea if that is possible, but would certainly make a cool shot. I'm watching the weather for tonight with the drone, then planning to head out a couple more times in the evening with the DSLR.
Unfortunately I am on the far west side of the valley so there will only be mountains on the horizon after sunset. On the more positive side the skies should be darker there. This article has a fairly good star map showing the location of the comet below the Big Dipper right after sunset. Winds of around 9 mph forecast for this evening, might be too much, maybe I should reduce shutter to 2 seconds and increase ISO to 800?
John, that is a fantastic shot of the Comet, I can see you have been doing this awhile! Great lightning pics also.

Reactions: iaincaradoc
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR