DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New (2019) Canada Drone Pilot Exam, very hard (but I passed)

AngryGardener

Reactions
Canada announced new restrictions and guidelines for all drone operators and their ‘crafts. I just went through the process, and it was much more difficult than I expected. Thought I would share, especially as DJI Pilots are effected in some unique ways.

The new restrictions and regulations are effective on June 1, 2019. Until then all the old guidelines apply.

On June 1 you cannot fly a (larger than micro) drone in Canada without a pilot certificate and your drone must be registered. The other key highlights for basic operation are: You must keep your drone in sight at all times (observable visual distance). Fly by camera is not acceptable. You cannot fly over people, and must fly a minimum of 30m from people. You can’t fly within 3miles (5km) of airports and 1 mile of heliports. You can fly at night, but only with lights for visual observation. You must yield to all other air traffic, and obey all laws and restrictions. You must be able to produce your certificate and your drone’s registration number must be marked on your drone.

There are 2 kinds of pilot operator certificate, Basic and Advanced. Achieving basic certification requires you to pass a 35 questions test in 90 minutes. You can attempt the exam multiple times, but the cost is $10 per attempt. An additional $5 is required to register each drone.

The advanced certificate is not relevant to DJI operators. DJI has not pursued the requirements for gaining product approval for advanced use in Canada. Only drone equipment approved to be on the advanced list can be operated under those guidelines. For example, Advanced Certified operators and equipment can apply for special operation permits to fly near or over crowds at an event or contact ATC for approval to operate in restricted airspace (like within 3 miles of an airport). Advanced certification requires passing a tougher 50 question exam and an in person flight review (you fly in front of an official who signs off on your ability and knowledge).

For me that made things simpler as I don’t actually have any options. I cant fly (after June 1) without certificate and registration. I only have one drone - a Mavic Pro which is obviously not on the Advanced equipment list (no DJI model is).

I logged into the new Canadian drone portal site, reviewed a bunch of material, paid my fees, passed the basic exam and registered my drone. I printed my drone operator pilot certificate and put it in my case because I’m now required to be able to produce it on demand by authorities if challenged during operation. My Mavic Pro now sports it’s new official registration number on it’s side (along with my name and phone number, which was required previously).

I was really surprised with the exam. The authorities really want everyone to attend a flight school certified to provide Drone Operator Instruction (and they provide a list on the Canadian Drone Portal site). Note, the site does not provide a study guide or any learning materials for the exam. It does state the topic areas you may be tested on... and that’s about it.

The exam has questions, VERY specific questions, on topics like restricted airspace, meteorology, chart symbols, flight theory and so on. I’ve been a general aviation buff for decades and even taken some basic licensed aircraft pilot instruction. I can bore the ears off 99.9% of the population with my general knowledge... and there is no way I pass this exam without preparation and access to the required materials. You cannot walk up and pass even the exam on general knowledge, period.

I passed with 82%. Only a minor number of the questions were related to actual Canadian drone restrictions.

I would say this exam and certification process is an excellent barrier for most recreational drone owner/operators. 99% wont pass without going to drone school (or cheating) - you are going to learn a lot even attempting the exam.

Overall, I’m pretty positive. My drone is a camera platform to be operated with great care. I fully expect it to fail at some point and fall out of the sky either because of circumstance, mechanical or pilot error. It drives me nuts to see someone just flying around the ‘hood like it’s just an R/C car or some other toy to operate without considering the consequences.

That said, I’m sure there will be times where I bend the rules... for example get a little out of observable sight, but I will take those risks knowingly and make sure my flight can’t harm others if it fails.

Hope this info helps!

Canada announced new restrictions and guidelines for all drone operators and their ‘crafts. I just went through the process, and it was much more difficult than I expected. Thought I would share, especially as DJI Pilots are effected in some unique ways.

The new restrictions and regulations are effective on June 1, 2019. Until then all the old guidelines apply.

On June 1 you cannot fly a (larger than micro) drone in Canada without a pilot certificate and your drone must be registered. The other key highlights for basic operation are: You must keep your drone in sight at all times (observable visual distance). Fly by camera is not acceptable. You cannot fly over people, and must fly a minimum of 30m from people. You can’t fly within 3miles (5km) of airports and 1 mile of heliports. You can fly at night, but only with lights for visual observation. You must yield to all other air traffic, and obey all laws and restrictions. You must be able to produce your certificate and your drone’s registration number must be marked on your drone.

There are 2 kinds of pilot operator certificate, Basic and Advanced. Achieving basic certification requires you to pass a 35 questions test in 90 minutes. You can attempt the exam multiple times, but the cost is $10 per attempt. An additional $5 is required to register each drone.

The advanced certificate is not relevant to DJI operators. DJI has not pursued the requirements for gaining product approval for advanced use in Canada. Only drone equipment approved to be on the advanced list can be operated under those guidelines. For example, Advanced Certified operators and equipment can apply for special operation permits to fly near or over crowds at an event or contact ATC for approval to operate in restricted airspace (like within 3 miles of an airport). Advanced certification requires passing a tougher 50 question exam and an in person flight review (you fly in front of an official who signs off on your ability and knowledge).

For me that made things simpler as I don’t actually have any options. I cant fly (after June 1) without certificate and registration. I only have one drone - a Mavic Pro which is obviously not on the Advanced equipment list (no DJI model is).

I logged into the new Canadian drone portal site, reviewed a bunch of material, paid my fees, passed the basic exam and registered my drone. I printed my drone operator pilot certificate and put it in my case because I’m now required to be able to produce it on demand by authorities if challenged during operation. My Mavic Pro now sports it’s new official registration number on it’s side (along with my name and phone number, which was required previously).

I was really surprised with the exam. The authorities really want everyone to attend a flight school certified to provide Drone Operator Instruction (and they provide a list on the Canadian Drone Portal site). Note, the site does not provide a study guide or any learning materials for the exam. It does state the topic areas you may be tested on... and that’s about it.

The exam has questions, VERY specific questions, on topics like restricted airspace, meteorology, chart symbols, flight theory and so on. I’ve been a general aviation buff for decades and even taken some basic licensed aircraft pilot instruction. I can bore the ears off 99.9% of the population with my general knowledge... and there is no way I pass this exam without preparation and access to the required materials. You cannot walk up and pass even the exam on general knowledge, period.

I passed with 82%. Only a minor number of the questions were related to actual Canadian drone restrictions.

I would say this exam and certification process is an excellent barrier for most recreational drone owner/operators. 99% wont pass without going to drone school (or cheating) - you are going to learn a lot even attempting the exam.

Overall, I’m pretty positive. My drone is a camera platform to be operated with great care. I fully expect it to fail at some point and fall out of the sky either because of circumstance, mechanical or pilot error. It drives me nuts to see someone just flying around the ‘hood like it’s just an R/C car or some other toy to operate without considering the consequences.

That said, I’m sure there will be times where I bend the rules... for example get a little out of observable sight, but I will take those risks knowingly and make sure my flight can’t harm others if it fails.

Hope this info helps!
Your exam sounds just like the part 107 exam here in the U.S. ... Congratulations on passing your exam...be smart, fly safe!

Hey angrygardener,
Read your post this morning and figured I should try to register my SPARK, got it all registered and went to the exam page knowing it would cost me $10 per exam, figured if I write a few times I should be able to pass it sooner or later. Well I passed it on first try, I think as it was multiple choice it helped me, most questions I would say are somewhat common sense. Thanks for your earlier post which encouraged me to try.

Reactions: JimCanada
Hey angrygardener,
Read your post this morning and figured I should try to register my SPARK, got it all registered and went to the exam page knowing it would cost me $10 per exam, figured if I write a few times I should be able to pass it sooner or later. Well I passed it on first try, I think as it was multiple choice it helped me, most questions I would say are somewhat common sense. Thanks for your earlier post which encouraged me to try.

Nice, that was kind of my point... to get some information out there. Congrats on passing the exam... it feels good to be legit, right?

Yeah, my impression was that if the applicant was reasonably self-educated on the topics and aware of their responsibilities as a drone pilot, they have a good chance of passing the exam - it only requires a 65% passing score, and you have 90 minutes to submit your answers... so enough time to “fact-check” some references. Also, multiple choice means you can quickly eliminate some options on some of the questions.

It’s still surprising how hard and broad ranging the questions are given we are talking about Basic Certification (not the Advanced) for a consumer product that we have to keep in visual sight and away from people and airports. Flight dynamic theory, official weather terms, and correctly distinguishing one class of airspace from another are just some of the questions that while interesting, are outside of the performance envelope of the “basic” drone and pilot.

Reactions: somedaysailor

Hope this info helps!
Can you point me in the general direction to the required materials? Thanks

Can you point me in the general direction to the required materials? Thanks

Ummm... I looked for a study guide too, there isn’t one and the Gov’t site basically says “go take professional instruction.”

So, what then? Well, you can take the list of exam topics and basically google them one at a time. Some you probably already know, so focus on the ones you know they will test on, but are beyond your current knowledge.

Then, take the test and see how you do. I bet you will “fact check” a few questions during the exam, but now you know how to find the answers quickly.

Passing at 65% is probably easy if you have good basic knowledge and fast research skills, and know how to read Multiple Choice questions (surprisingly, most people suck at exams because they don’t actually read every word of A,B,C,D). If you miss read the answers provided you will get the answer wrong.

Again, I think the point of the test is not to simply pass, that’s easy once you access the reference materials. It’s to understand what you as a responsible drone operator should know before putting the device in the air.

The Canadian "Advanced" Certification seems to be very close to the model used for the Australian RePL licence. SO close that I wonder if Transport Canada didn't look at our regime for a little inspiration being a fellow Commonwealth country and we've had a few years to get the bugs ironed out and the system working.

To put the requirements into perspective, here it is a mandatory requirement of C.A.S.A. that you undertake a training course through an approved training provider which costs about $1500 on average and you can add another $500 is you want your Aeronautical Radio Operators Certificate to operate commercially in controlled airspace.

The general wisdom here is that the RePL course requires about 40 hours of study plus a minimum of 5 hours of flight instruction and evaluation. I did it with about 20 hours and achieved 100% pass but like the O.P. although I do not hold any other pilots licence I have a lifetime of aviation related experience along with 30 years in R/C and 25 years as an R/C instructor so the practical component was a non event for me and I already held an Advanced Class Amateur Radio and Maritime radio operators certificate for decades so I only familiarised myself with the call formats and didn't bother studying the theory as I'd been there before. Although C.A.S.A. do provide some online guides we do not get the full study guide or format until we register with a training provider and pay the fee.

Do I think it's absolutely necessary to do a training provider managed course? Probably not but you'd need to have some sort of background with aviation and be commited to and comfortable with doing some formalised study in a logical progession.

Do I think it's desirable to do a course under a training provider? Yes for most people probably so. Let's face it, you're not going to do an RePL or a Canadian Advanced certification unless you are looking at flying commercially and that being the case and the liabilities you are then placed under in regards to law if it goes pear shaped and you find yourself in the eye of the authorities it probably behooves you to be able to show you have undertaken formal study in Aeronatical theory, Aviation law, Meteorology, Risk assemessment and the various other disciplines required. Also being realistic being able to operate your equipment in the vicinity of aerodromes, manned aircraft, built up areas, crowds and events requires a reasonable level of knowledge in operations and procedures and how manned aviation operates to do it safely.

Honestly, now I'm down the track from the certification process and have a small business and fleet of aircraft there are still times when I fleetingly regret taking it to this level. Yes, having the highest qualification in Remote Aircraft opens up many more opportunities (provided you are prepared to jump through all the hoops) but it also places a lot more onus and legal responsibilities on you even when you are not on a job. The days of pushing the edge of the envelope and the rules are gone, too much money invested to risk losing it. I don't fly for pleasure much any more and that follows a theme in my life of making my passion my profession and there by ruining it for myself as a pastime.

The first thing you really need to research closely is "do I really REALLY need and want that advanced certification?". If not perhaps the General certificate is for you .. it's not a competition and it doesn't mean you are any less a pilot.

Just putting that out there.

Regards
Ari

Ummm... I looked for a study guide too, there isn’t one and the Gov’t site basically says “go take professional instruction.”

So, what then? Well, you can take the list of exam topics and basically google them one at a time. Some you probably already know, so focus on the ones you know they will test on, but are beyond your current knowledge.

Then, take the test and see how you do. I bet you will “fact check” a few questions during the exam, but now you know how to find the answers quickly.

Passing at 65% is probably easy if you have good basic knowledge and fast research skills, and know how to read Multiple Choice questions (surprisingly, most people suck at exams because they don’t actually read every word of A,B,C,D). If you miss read the answers provided you will get the answer wrong.

Again, I think the point of the test is not to simply pass, that’s easy once you access the reference materials. It’s to understand what you as a responsible drone operator should know before putting the device in the air.
Thank you

Thanks, AngryGardener, for taking the time to compose a thoughtful, informative and helpful response. I too have been a lifetime aviation enthusiast with the experience of beginning (but not completing) my PPL . Hopefully, my interest in RC flying, general aviation and now drones will help me become a licensed, responsible drone pilot. Thanks again.

The Canadian "Advanced" Certification seems to be very close to the model used for the Australian RePL licence. SO close that I wonder if Transport Canada didn't look at our regime for a little inspiration being a fellow Commonwealth country and we've had a few years to get the bugs ironed out and the system working.

To put the requirements into perspective, here it is a mandatory requirement of C.A.S.A. that you undertake a training course through an approved training provider which costs about $1500 on average and you can add another $500 is you want your Aeronautical Radio Operators Certificate to operate commercially in controlled airspace.

The general wisdom here is that the RePL course requires about 40 hours of study plus a minimum of 5 hours of flight instruction and evaluation. I did it with about 20 hours and achieved 100% pass but like the O.P. although I do not hold any other pilots licence I have a lifetime of aviation related experience along with 30 years in R/C and 25 years as an R/C instructor so the practical component was a non event for me and I already held an Advanced Class Amateur Radio and Maritime radio operators certificate for decades so I only familiarised myself with the call formats and didn't bother studying the theory as I'd been there before. Although C.A.S.A. do provide some online guides we do not get the full study guide or format until we register with a training provider and pay the fee.

Do I think it's absolutely necessary to do a training provider managed course? Probably not but you'd need to have some sort of background with aviation and be commited to and comfortable with doing some formalised study in a logical progession.

Do I think it's desirable to do a course under a training provider? Yes for most people probably so. Let's face it, you're not going to do an RePL or a Canadian Advanced certification unless you are looking at flying commercially and that being the case and the liabilities you are then placed under in regards to law if it goes pear shaped and you find yourself in the eye of the authorities it probably behooves you to be able to show you have undertaken formal study in Aeronatical theory, Aviation law, Meteorology, Risk assemessment and the various other disciplines required. Also being realistic being able to operate your equipment in the vicinity of aerodromes, manned aircraft, built up areas, crowds and events requires a reasonable level of knowledge in operations and procedures and how manned aviation operates to do it safely.

Honestly, now I'm down the track from the certification process and have a small business and fleet of aircraft there are still times when I fleetingly regret taking it to this level. Yes, having the highest qualification in Remote Aircraft opens up many more opportunities (provided you are prepared to jump through all the hoops) but it also places a lot more onus and legal responsibilities on you even when you are not on a job. The days of pushing the edge of the envelope and the rules are gone, too much money invested to risk losing it. I don't fly for pleasure much any more and that follows a theme in my life of making my passion my profession and there by ruining it for myself as a pastime.

The first thing you really need to research closely is "do I really REALLY need and want that advanced certification?". If not perhaps the General certificate is for you .. it's not a competition and it doesn't mean you are any less a pilot.

Just putting that out there.

Regards
Ari
My dear Decado, I think your signoff "Just putting it out there" is not quite the summation of what you've written. I'm astounded at the time you and AngryGardener have posted to my modest request for help. My response to those who have gone far and beyond what I hoped to receive, "You are a river to your people". Thanks, thanks, and ever thanks!

Hope this info helps!
Update: DJI has finally fulfilled their obligation and YAY! Many common DJI consumer drones are now apporoved for advanced operations

Hope this info helps!
UPDATE: "....Transport Canada announced its new regulatory framework for certain types of advanced civilian drone operations in January, requiring the use of drones whose manufacturer has declared compliance with reliability and operational characteristics under a safety assurance framework. DJI’s compliant drones are the M600 Series, M200 Series, M200 V2 Series, Inspire 2, Mavic 2 series, Mavic Pro, Mavic Air, Phantom 4 series and Spark. ...." This means that an advanced license may be the way to go to get out from under some restrictions.

Reactions: Gadget
Your exam sounds just like the part 107 exam here in the U.S. ... Congratulations on passing your exam...be smart, fly safe!
Hey there... just a little FYI for ya. Things have changed with DJI about no DJI drones approved to fly over people at events etc as you say. On the TC drone portal for approved drones DJI Mavic pro and Mavic 2 and Inspire2 all with Indemnis Nexus or Para recovery systems are in fact good to go to fly over people at events so long as you have your advanced certification, apply and are granted an SFOC, so just an update for ya,. Cheers

Last edited:
The advanced certificate is not relevant to DJI operators.
Actually, it is. An Advanced certificate allows you to fly in controlled airspace (with appropriate authorizations), as well as close to airports and heliports. You can also fly closer than 30m to people (with the right drone, like a Mavic); within 5m with the recovery systems fjc mentioned above — but even an out-of-the-box Mavic (any model) is cleared for use closer than 30m with an Advanced sRPAS license.

I've debated getting one, but so far my sub-250g drone can do most of what I want to do in controlled airspace, without the hassle of getting authorizations.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twistedpair