DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Air 2 Pilot

ifr

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Just wanted to introduce myself. I live in St. George, Utah, and I recently purchased a Mavic Air 2 as my first drone. I'm an instrument-rated private pilot and have so enjoyed flying. Unfortunately I'm grounded now, so I thought flying a drone will at least keep me somewhat connected to the flying community. I learned quickly that if I want to do more with my drone I'll need to become a part 107 pilot, so I'm studying for that now. It's a good refresher for me.

I look forward to learning from you and hopefully contributing as my skills improve. Some of you are serious drone pilots!

I also appreciate the general tone in the posts. Most are professional and thoughtful, which I like very much.

Well done, pilots! I'm looking forward to this experience.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum! Thumbswayup

Hello from Crossroads of America ifr.

Welcome to the Forum. 😎

Welcome aboard, ifr!

I had my A2 out at St. George last summer--lots of wonderful places to fly in your area. Unfortunately, it was July, and very hot. When attempting to fly even in the 108 degree cool of the evening, my iPad overheated, as did my iPhone. I hope to get back out there sometime when it's not summer.

--Jub

Edited typo: I was using an A2, not and A2S

Last edited:
I hear you. I took off from here in a Cessna 172 when it was108 outside, 120 degrees on the tarmac. It took a while to get over the mountains in the heat. Aside from 3 months, it's great weather. I constantly see balloons out my window due to the great flying conditions.

Reactions: eaglesurfing
I used to fly a hang glider, and definitely appreciated the greater lifting power of cool air vs. warm air. Never flew at anything approaching 108 degrees, but have to imagine that the air molecules are pretty far apart.

I used to fly a hang glider, and definitely appreciated the greater lifting power of cool air vs. warm air. Never flew at anything approaching 108 degrees, but have to imagine that the air molecules are pretty far apart.
Very true. The turbulence going back to Salt Lake, coming from the desert heat, was the worst I've felt. I had a safety pilot with me because I flew the whole way without looking at the ground ("under the hood") just to build some instrument time. Definitely a bumpy ride. It will be the same with our drones in hot air. Cool air results in compressed air molecules so the propellers have something to grab onto.

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .Thumbswayup

. . . Definitely a bumpy ride. It will be the same with our drones in hot air. Cool air results in compressed air molecules so the propellers have something to grab onto.

Cool temps cause air molecules to cram closer together, resulting in greater lift for a wing operating on them. Hot air causes air molecules to space farther apart, resulting in less lift.

This was drilled into me--taught well, I think--at the hang glider school I attended. My bet is that these concepts are also well taught at good schools for powered flight.

The hottest temps in which I flew my A2 in Utah were over 120 degrees F, over empty areas aroung St. George. I was impressed that the drone handled these temperatures easily-it seemed to have zero trouble climbing and maneuvering. Well done, DJI.

However, my iPhone and iPad quickly crapped out at these temperatures. So did I, the pilot, soon after exposure to these temps. I brought my drone in ASAP, and kept it parked until temperatures fell.

Agreed--St. George would be plum wonderful if droned outside the three months of summer.

And also, at least my drones are tougher than I am.

And perhaps lastly, if I needed to drone such a hot area in summer, I'd consider building cooling rigs for my controller and myself.

--Jub

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum from south central Florida :cool: and enjoy. 🌴

Cool temps cause air molecules to cram closer together, resulting in greater lift for a wing operating on them. Hot air causes air molecules to space farther apart, resulting in less lift.

This was drilled into me--taught well, I think--at the hang glider school I attended. My bet is that these concepts are also well taught at good schools for powered flight.

The hottest temps in which I flew my A2 in Utah were over 120 degrees F, over empty areas aroung St. George. I was impressed that the drone handled these temperatures easily-it seemed to have zero trouble climbing and maneuvering. Well done, DJI.

However, my iPhone and iPad quickly crapped out at these temperatures. So did I, the pilot, soon after exposure to these temps. I brought my drone in ASAP, and kept it parked until temperatures fell.

Agreed--St. George would be plum wonderful if droned outside the three months of summer.

And perhaps lastly, if I needed to drone such a hot area in summer, I'd consider building cooling rigs for my controller and myself.

--Jub
Could it be time to upgrade to the Tripltek tablet?

--Jub
Well said. I didn't want to go into a long explanation about air molecules, and you gave it just the right touch. Thank you. I'm glad to know your drone handled the temps, even if your phone and tablet didn't. Since one can't fly without the other, it seems important to understand the limitations of one's electonics.

Reactions: Jubjub Bird
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji