DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Air 2S Issues

Reactions
I just recently purchased an Air 2S. I have Mavic 2 Pro for almost three years. In general, I like the Air 2S due to the smaller size and a wider angle of view (22.4 vs 28mm). There are a few issues I am wondering if it is normal and should I exchange it.

1) Panorama (sphere & wide angle) - during a windy condition, most of the time, the camera would stuck in an angle and would not proceed. After it is cancelled, I could not change the camera setting (eg from Single to Smart photo), the message is something like "shooting in process, unable to switch modes". I could only reset the gimbal by going to return home.
IMG_9867.jpg

2) During one flight the day before yesterday, when I pushed the left stick down all way, the drone moved down extremely slow (9m35s - 10m21s). This is just outside the GEO zone and enhanced warning zone (2000 ft away), I did get a code from DJI to unlock the drone. I only fly up right above me to take some pictures. The drone was able to go up normally, but it resisted to come down. Only after I had a return to home, it was then able to come down normally. please see the flight log just before return to home.

3) During one hand launch, the drone suddenly move sideway 10 feet as if there is a gust of wind blowing it away (0m1.5s - 0m3.1s). My knee was down in order gave a support to the controller during launch. It was normal after that.

4) In two flights, my iphone 8+ was so dark to see (latest DJI fly), I had to terminated the flights. The iphone brightness is at the maximum. DJI Go for Mavic 2 Pro does not have this problem. I saw someone posted similar problem on youtube for mini 2, but did not remember the cause for this issue.

5) In panorama mode, when point the camera down to take a wider angle shot (9 shots), most of the time, straight line pattern (such as a street) are not aligned correctly. Lightroom stitching is ok, but the final output has a curved shape for a straight street. See the highway on the left.

DJI_0026.jpg

Thank you!!

Seems like your question has lots of views, but no real answers, and its not an easy question, not sure I have any great answers either, perhaps someone will come along and do some better analysis.

However, if you can exchange it and see if a different unit will solve the problem, that might be the easiest route. The other is to engage DJI and see if they have some answers for you.

#4 I purchased the Tripltek Tablet for this very reason. Brighter and cheaper than the Smart Controller

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Seems like your question has lots of views, but no real answers, and its not an easy question, not sure I have any great answers either, perhaps someone will come along and do some better analysis.

However, if you can exchange it and see if a different unit will solve the problem, that might be the easiest route. The other is to engage DJI and see if they have some answers for you.
Thank you for your advice!

I run some more test today since it is a windy day (18mph on ground). The drone has a hard time to perform the panorama operations. Tried IMU and Compass calibrations also just to eliminate a question later, it still the same. Mavic 2 pro will not have a problem with it.

I run some more test today since it is a windy day (18mph on ground). The drone has a hard time to perform the panorama operations. Tried IMU and Compass calibrations also just to eliminate a question later, it still the same. Mavic 2 pro will not have a problem with it.
It sounds like there is an issue with the Air 2S, not sure if exchange is an option for you, but it does seem like its having an issue of some sort as I would think it would keep up with an older model at the least..

It sounds like there is an issue with the Air 2S, not sure if exchange is an option for you, but it does seem like its having an issue of some sort as I would think it would keep up with an older model at the least..
Thank you! Nobody complain about the same issues, I would assume they are not normal.

I just recently purchased an Air 2S. I have Mavic 2 Pro for almost three years. In general, I like the Air 2S due to the smaller size and a wider angle of view (22.4 vs 28mm). There are a few issues I am wondering if it is normal and should I exchange it.

1) Panorama (sphere & wide angle) - during a windy condition, most of the time, the camera would stuck in an angle and would not proceed. After it is cancelled, I could not change the camera setting (eg from Single to Smart photo), the message is something like "shooting in process, unable to switch modes". I could only reset the gimbal by going to return home.
View attachment 134841

2) During one flight the day before yesterday, when I pushed the left stick down all way, the drone moved down extremely slow (9m35s - 10m21s). This is just outside the GEO zone and enhanced warning zone (2000 ft away), I did get a code from DJI to unlock the drone. I only fly up right above me to take some pictures. The drone was able to go up normally, but it resisted to come down. Only after I had a return to home, it was then able to come down normally. please see the flight log just before return to home.

3) During one hand launch, the drone suddenly move sideway 10 feet as if there is a gust of wind blowing it away (0m1.5s - 0m3.1s). My knee was down in order gave a support to the controller during launch. It was normal after that.

4) In two flights, my iphone 8+ was so dark to see (latest DJI fly), I had to terminated the flights. The iphone brightness is at the maximum. DJI Go for Mavic 2 Pro does not have this problem. I saw someone posted similar problem on youtube for mini 2, but did not remember the cause for this issue.

5) In panorama mode, when point the camera down to take a wider angle shot (9 shots), most of the time, straight line pattern (such as a street) are not aligned correctly. Lightroom stitching is ok, but the final output has a curved shape for a straight street. See the highway on the left.

View attachment 134840

Thank you!!
Had a similar issue as #2 in your list above. Had to send it back to DJI for repair. Haven’t found out yet what the issue is as it’s still in transit to the repair center.

#4 I purchased the Tripltek Tablet for this very reason. Brighter and cheaper than the Smart Controller
Not any cheaper for the 8" version but I'm liking my Smart Controller less and less for the Air 2S for sure. It's just too laggy in the city where I do most of my flying. The Standard Controller has no problems! I'll keep an eye on this Tripltek. I like the 1200 nits it has. I like that it also is rated to 120 degrees, good for hot Texas summers!

Reactions: GFields
Had a similar issue as #2 in your list above. Had to send it back to DJI for repair. Haven’t found out yet what the issue is as it’s still in transit to the repair center.
It only happened to me once, to be safe, I also sent it back for exchange. Do you have a problem with panorama during windy condition?

Not any cheaper for the 8" version but I'm liking my Smart Controller less and less for the Air 2S for sure. It's just too laggy in the city where I do most of my flying. The Standard Controller has no problems! I'll keep an eye on this Tripltek. I like the 1200 nits it has. I like that it also is rated to 120 degrees, good for hot Texas summers!
iphone 13 pro is 1000 nits. I may just get that for convenience. It is about time to upgrade from 8+.

Reactions: RGS2010
Just moved from Austin to Birmingham. I know what you're saying.

iphone 13 pro is 1000 nits. I may just get that for convenience. It is about time to upgrade from 8+.
I wonder if the 13 pro will overheat like most iPhones while in the sun?

It’s also got better res, larger battery and weighs less. Wish it was out when I bought he 7”

That maximum brightness which has been proven in the past to not be sustainable in the heat.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000