DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Air S2 camera facing down

Finalshot

Reactions
Hello, I'm new here. Just got an air s2 and am studying for the 107 test. In the meantime, I booted the unit and paired it with my android and controller. When the drone is resting on a flat service the camera faces downward or straight down. When I turn it off, the same thing, it's facing down. It's never been flown. I thought it was odd since when it's facting down, I can not get the gimble cover on it. Therefore, I thought there must be something wrong with the gimble. I tried using the dji app when connected to the drone, to recalibrate. It did recalibrate but the camera is still facing down when the unit is off - and I can't put the gimble cover on it. I have not contacted dji support. Thank you for your thoughts.

If the unit is powered off the gimbal will face down. Simply move it to where you can put the cover back on. If your trying to install the gimbal cover while the unit is running this is a very bad idea.
It is a gimbal, it moves freely with no power applied to it.

If the unit is powered off the gimbal will face down. Simply move it to where you can put the cover back on. If your trying to install the gimbal cover while the unit is running this is a very bad idea.
It is a gimbal, it moves freely with no power applied to it.
Thank you for the swift reply. I am not trying to put the cover on while the unit is on. While it is off, it is facing down. If I gently move the camera 90" so it's facing forward, there is tension on the camera and if I release it, it immediately springs back to the down-facing position, almost like that's where it is told to face. If that makes sense.

the first photo is when the drone is at idle with green lights. The second is power off. I have not flown it yet.

Opps, i should have added, as it may make a difference, there is an error message. "upper vision sensor error"

Thank you again for your thoughts. Tony

Attachments

• 20220401_144623.jpg
    20220401_144623.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 14
  • 20220401_144815.jpg
    20220401_144815.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 14
When powered on, it should face forward. (At least mine does.) When the unit is powered off, it should hang and move freely. To put the cover on, I have to flip it over, give it a few gentle taps to put it where I want it, try to put the cover on, miss and end up moving the camera, put it back where I want it, sneak up on it and quickly get the cover on while it's not paying attention to me.

Reactions: Finalshot
When powered on, it should face forward. (At least mine does.) When the unit is powered off, it should hang and move freely. To put the cover on, I have to flip it over, give it a few gentle taps to put it where I want it, try to put the cover on, miss and end up moving the camera, put it back where I want it, sneak up on it and quickly get the cover on while it's not paying attention to me.
that makes perfect sense. Mind faces down and snaps back when I try to gently move it to a more straight-on position. There is tension in it, there's no mistaking. Thank you for your comment. Much appreciated.

that makes perfect sense. Mind faces down and snaps back when I try to gently move it to a more straight-on position. There is tension in it, there's no mistaking. Thank you for your comment. Much appreciated.
There should be no tension whats so ever when the power is off. The gimbal should move freely. I would return it for a new one or send in to be repaired or replaced.

Something definitely wrong there. Without power, my A2S camera and gimbal freely rotate around all axises up to the limit points.
Is this a new drone? If so check if the various places on the gimbol that have adhesive tape when packed new have all been removed. Mine had clear tape with yellow strips on one edge out of the box.

Reactions: Yaros and Finalshot
Something definitely wrong there. Without power, my A2S camera and gimbal freely rotate around all axises up to the limit points.
Is this a new drone? If so check if the various places on the gimbol that have adhesive tape when packed new have all been removed. Mine had clear tape with yellow strips on one edge out of the box.
all the tape is off - I removed it. Yes, it's new. Looks like I'll be returning it. UG. . . Thanks for the help. Tony

Have you tried using the controller to move the camera up and down while powered on? Try removing the battery just to make sure there is no voltage going to the camera.

Have you tried using the controller to move the camera up and down while powered on? Try removing the battery just to make sure there is no voltage going to the camera.
i tried moving it with the dial, it moves but it will never get level. battery removed still obvious tension on the camera, forcing it to point down. Thanks again for all the responses!

LOL Same way I do it!

Thank you for the help. I returned the unit and repurchased a new one. Now I will need to go update my FAA registration by removing the old drone and replacing it with the new one, once I get it. Unfortunately, I think I'll have to pay the five bucks again?

Thank you for the help. I returned the unit and repurchased a new one. Now I will need to go update my FAA registration by removing the old drone and replacing it with the new one, once I get it. Unfortunately, I think I'll have to pay the five bucks again?
Nope, just add the new and remove the old one. If recreational, you use your number on all your drones.

Nope, just add the new and remove the old one. If recreational, you use your number on all your drones.
In the UK we don’t have to register the drone, only the operator is registered with the CAA - not sure about larger professional drones though.

In the UK we don’t have to register the drone, only the operator is registered with the CAA - not sure about larger professional drones though.
In U.S. ALL drones over 250g under 55kg must be registered for recreational flyers. Part 107 flyers register each drone separately.

In U.S. ALL drones over 250g under 55kg must be registered for recreational flyers. Part 107 flyers register each drone separately.
I registered as a recreational but only to get some flight time until I pass my 107. I'm studying now but I wanted to be able to fly my device while I study. Once I pass the test I was going to "reregister" and fly my drone under part 107.

Is the new one working better?

Is the new one working better?
Thanks for asking. The one I just received was in a sealed box, with all the sticker tabs on the drone, camera, gimble, etc. The one I originally purchased had none of it and was scratched up. So, somehow I got a broken drone that had not been properly returned to factory specs. This new one, so far, is in perfect condition and looks great. I have not flown it yet.

I now need to register for this new unit. I have the number that goes on the drone, but I have not registered this new unit. I'm not sure where I need to do that. I remember registering the old unit, but now I can not figure out where I did that so I can register this one. Any thoughts? Thank you for the help.

tony

Reactions: March411
Thanks for asking. The one I just received was in a sealed box, with all the sticker tabs on the drone, camera, gimble, etc. The one I originally purchased had none of it and was scratched up. So, somehow I got a broken drone that had not been properly returned to factory specs. This new one, so far, is in perfect condition and looks great. I have not flown it yet.

I now need to register for this new unit. I have the number that goes on the drone, but I have not registered this new unit. I'm not sure where I need to do that. I remember registering the old unit, but now I can not figure out where I did that so I can register this one. Any thoughts? Thank you for the help.

tony
Go to FAADroneZone log in and then click on "Manage Device Inventory"

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929