DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

new Alberta Canada pilot

fingers284

Reactions
very new to the sport, bought first outfit 3 days ago (Mini SE) and have only 30 minutes fly-time total. I'm also an old boy with modern technology limitations....but I have a 6 yr old Granddaughter that can help a bit in that regard. So my main target of interest will be getting the most out of the Fly app.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

I was just there a couple of weeks ago. Lots of cool things to photograph!

If you don't have it already, I recommend getting DJI Refresh insurance. Also, the fly-more kit is worthwhile (for the extra batteries if nothing else). A landing pad of some sort will help too — foldable pads are portable, but a chunk of plywood works well if you don't need portability. (And painting it like a real helicopter landing pad could be a fun project with your granddaughter.)

Pay careful attention to those return-to-home warnings! I never fly past half a battery unless I'm in a location where I can simply land safely. Last trip I ran right to the limit on a couple of flights and was surprised at how much faster the Mini went from 'battery warning' to 'land right now'. It's an impressive beast, but doesn't deal with winds as well as it's heftier cousins.

As always, lots of practice is the key.

Hello from the Crossroads of America fingers284.

Welcome to the Forum. :cool:

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching
and stay safe.. Thumbswayup

I was just there a couple of weeks ago. Lots of cool things to photograph!

If you don't have it already, I recommend getting DJI Refresh insurance. Also, the fly-more kit is worthwhile (for the extra batteries if nothing else). A landing pad of some sort will help too — foldable pads are portable, but a chunk of plywood works well if you don't need portability. (And painting it like a real helicopter landing pad could be a fun project with your granddaughter.)

Pay careful attention to those return-to-home warnings! I never fly past half a battery unless I'm in a location where I can simply land safely. Last trip I ran right to the limit on a couple of flights and was surprised at how much faster the Mini went from 'battery warning' to 'land right now'. It's an impressive beast, but doesn't deal with winds as well as it's heftier cousins.

As always, lots of practice is the key.
Yes on both realized early in my research that more batteries would be a good thing....also with the re-fresh option but am waiting for a reply from DJI over an issue with the contract, they entered the ser # with an error. My machine # ends in a 9 but contract has a p instead.

I got a chance to experience a RTH episode on my second flight LOL. I live rurally and sent the machine over to the far fence line to have a look, only 650 m away (far under the advertised range) and lost radio contact so the thing came back to me, missed the takeoff site by 8 ft. Not a problem at the time but any further out would have been a house -drone get-together.

Yes on both realized early in my research that more batteries would be a good thing....also with the re-fresh option but am waiting for a reply from DJI over an issue with the contract, they entered the ser # with an error. My machine # ends in a 9 but contract has a p instead.

I got a chance to experience a RTH episode on my second flight LOL. I live rurally and sent the machine over to the far fence line to have a look, only 650 m away (far under the advertised range) and lost radio contact so the thing came back to me, missed the takeoff site by 8 ft. Not a problem at the time but any further out would have been a house -drone get-together.
Probably a good idea to familiarize yourself with the Transport Canada regulations:

Visual line of sight (VLOS) means not only that you can see the drone unaided (without binoculars), but see it well enough to control it without the camera view. I'm impressed with your eyes because I can't see the Mini (well enough for VLOS) further than 300m or so — too many years reading screens :-(

Might not be a bad idea to learn the material required for the Basic exam, even if you don't need the certificate to fly your Mini. A really good resource for that (and other Canadian drone-related things) is Don Joyce:

Make yourself a landing pad that's visually distinct. The drone stores a downward-facing image and uses it to supplement GPS — it will make landing much easier.

Probably a good idea to familiarize yourself with the Transport Canada regulations:

Visual line of sight (VLOS) means not only that you can see the drone unaided (without binoculars), but see it well enough to control it without the camera view. I'm impressed with your eyes because I can't see the Mini (well enough for VLOS) further than 300m or so — too many years reading screens :-(

Might not be a bad idea to learn the material required for the Basic exam, even if you don't need the certificate to fly your Mini. A really good resource for that (and other Canadian drone-related things) is Don Joyce:

Make yourself a landing pad that's visually distinct. The drone stores a downward-facing image and uses it to supplement GPS — it will make landing much easier.

Thanks man. I knew about the max height regs but did not know about the VSOS regulation....will pay more attention to that from now on. I actually did just have an eye exam yesterday and the optometrist made a comment during the visit that "My distance acuity is that of a 20 yr old " ....but we wont comment on my old age "short distance" eyesight tho. LOL.

Welcome to the forum from Ontario!

As @Robert Prior said it’s important to familiarize yourself with the regulations. I always fly my drones within VLOS and within the regulations, but even then, there have been times when I have been surprised and startled by a low flying plane or helicopter in the area and I am thankful that I have had my drone in sight.

Enjoy your new SE.

Chris

Welcome to the forum. We look forward to your participation and your view of the world.

My distance acuity is that of a 20 yr old
Lucky! I didn't have that even when I was 20! :-(

Sounds like you have an ideal setting to get lots of practice. It's taken me years to reach 41 hours flight time (in 10-20 minute flights) because I have to drive to a safe place to fly. Bet you'll overtake me soon (especially with a granddaughter to fly with!).

I use Drone Pilot Canada to plan and log flights. It has a view showing flight regulations for micro-drones like the Mini. (And a view showing the DJI restrictions, which aren't the same as the legal ones.) Also stores documents like my sRPAS Certificate and equipment manuals.

You can also get the planning information from the NRC but I like having everything in one place.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS