DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New and excited

DeletedMember

Reactions
  1. Man oh man just starting out as a MP2 Pilot , brand new to Drones...got my first ''Mavic Killer'' (insert laugh here) in march this year, the $50 eachine e58? yeah....NOT! . As a professional wildlife/landscape photographer/ videographer with 20 years experience I needed a new challenge , With birds being my primary subject, watching them take flight and capturing that moment has always been a high for me and a big challenge. Birds in flight, flying... yep that's where its at, ...transitioning to a UAV pilot made perfect sense. I have a lot to learn and spend around 3 hours a day reading and at least one hour flying. I am interested in the new field of UAV wildlife videography and the effects it has on animals and small critters.​
  2. side note, last week while setting up to fly at a huge 500 x 200 yard field (Just me) a women in her 60's arrived to walk her dogs she had seen me fly before walked by and said ' I am just going to let my 3 dogs play in the water for a few minutes and then I will be out of your way'' I smiled and said no worries I will be operating above the trees and I don't fly in close proximity to anything much less people , her reply '' i was told drones can chop off your head or cut your throat and when run out of gas crash and cause damage to people and property''. I then took a minute to reassure her that she was safe with me around her and drones are very useful tools to humans when used responsibly .​

You're kind; I would have been tempted to say something about drones sucking out brains and leaving people dumb as a stump. (Not such great ambassadorship)

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . Thumbswayup

Welcome to the forum! :)

Flying near wildlife is talked about alot. Do search here and jump in conversation.

I live on a large plot of land and fly 4-5 hours daily filming wildlife and nature scapes. Birds are a challenge and of course you will be using the max zoom function you have to get close enough to video without flushing them too soon to capture the moment of flight(48mm If I recall on the M2P). I use the M2Zoom which has 96mm zoom so it's easy to count the feathers without flushing....but I have made 100s of approaches with 48mm also. My best successes with birds (they always know you're there) is using the following parameters: I always use RTH and understand everything about RTH. This let's me focus on getting the shots without distraction on battery worries. A lot of my shots don't set up on full battery....but I can go for it and not worry. Once I ID target I switch to tripod mode for approach. This gives me smooth slow approach and removes the dramatic noise shocks when you change aircraft direction and momentum...ie no abrupt stop noise like in regular mode. This is true of all wildlife...not just birds. Once they flush shooting them in flight will be a challenge and take lots of air time. Laws: That's easy....when any animal becomes anxious to the point they start moving away from you.....your shot is over....or stationary. Additional encroachment with drone is considered harassment.
Just sharing. Happy shooting.

Last edited:
I cant deny i want Mavic 2 zoom (after much naysaying).
They are slowly but surely coming into my price range/credit rating ;)

Digi Zoom is a pet hate on any camera/device for me.
Like using the magnifying glass in Windows paint.

I Saw a Smartphone with 3 lenses on the back today, so other people
arent fans either methinx

I cant deny i want Mavic 2 zoom (after much naysaying).
They are slowly but surely coming into my price range/credit rating ;)

Digi Zoom is a pet hate on any camera/device for me.
Like using the magnifying glass in Windows paint.

I Saw a Smartphone with 3 lenses on the back today, so other people
arent fans either methinx
I understand your distaste for Digi Zoom. On the M2Z the 2x(48mm) - 4x(96mm) zoom is Digi....but it is lossless. For critter filming at 48mm...I only achieve about a 10-15% success rate on getting close enough to get the shot without scaring them off. At 96mm It's more in the 90% range. I am not a professional pic/vid person...I know every aspect of digital camera photography.....that said... I have noticed no loss of quality which is supposed to be the case with lossless zoom. Anyway.....as you can tell...I'm a M2Z fan for this sort of stuff. The M2Z With 96mm can also cover 2-4x more ground exploration per battery than any other drone(because I don't have to fly the 1/3-1/2 mile to ID the little black dot.....I just zoom in 96mm...which save's a ton of battery....I can explore nearly a square mile from stationary point)....I don't waste time and battery flying a 1/2 mile to get there only to see a nice pile of trash. I can vid 1000s of shots no other drone can touch including the M2P. Ok I'm babbling.....have a great day

For a Fact, but the zoom is optical yes?
Digital Sensor sure, but the distance between lens physically changes doesn't it.
zooming in 'brzzz', out 'bzzrrr' :)

For a Fact, but the zoom is optical yes?
Digital Sensor sure, but the distance between lens physically changes doesn't it
2x (which is zoom to 48mm) is optical and available on all camera settings. To zoom out to 96mm...
2x-4x (48-96mm) is lossless digital on that portion Currently the 48-96mm zoom is only available 1080p/30fps video. All other camera setups both still and vid only go to 48mm optical zoom.

Reactions: MavicFT1P
  1. Man oh man just starting out as a MP2 Pilot , brand new to Drones...got my first ''Mavic Killer'' (insert laugh here) in march this year, the $50 eachine e58? yeah....NOT! . As a professional wildlife/landscape photographer/ videographer with 20 years experience I needed a new challenge , With birds being my primary subject, watching them take flight and capturing that moment has always been a high for me and a big challenge. Birds in flight, flying... yep that's where its at, ...transitioning to a UAV pilot made perfect sense. I have a lot to learn and spend around 3 hours a day reading and at least one hour flying. I am interested in the new field of UAV wildlife videography and the effects it has on animals and small critters.​
  2. side note, last week while setting up to fly at a huge 500 x 200 yard field (Just me) a women in her 60's arrived to walk her dogs she had seen me fly before walked by and said ' I am just going to let my 3 dogs play in the water for a few minutes and then I will be out of your way'' I smiled and said no worries I will be operating above the trees and I don't fly in close proximity to anything much less people , her reply '' i was told drones can chop off your head or cut your throat and when run out of gas crash and cause damage to people and property''. I then took a minute to reassure her that she was safe with me around her and drones are very useful tools to humans when used responsibly .​
Welcome !

That sounded like a pleasant encounter until the chop your head off stuff, but if thats what she believed, then i Guess she
was being pleasant after all.
Whenever flying in the park (in a Beginner Fashion to be fair), people tend to behave/smile like this.

People were a lot more impressed/interested by my HPI Vorza doing 0-100 on two wheels one time
In theory as dangerous or more (its a very big park).

But yeh people in a good mood prefer to smile i find.
If someone gets angry/freaks out with a drone, they can't have been too happy to begin with.

Im rarely so happy as to react nicely, so im not preachin, Just sayin..

Reactions: DeletedMember
Welcome to MavicPilots from Dayton Ohio USA! Enjoy your Mavic2 Pro, Fly safe and have fun!

Reactions: DeletedMember
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143