DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New batteries

Ralph thompson

Reactions
I had heard that it was recommended/important to cycle new batteries before use, full discharge and full recharge, on the Mavic series drones. What do knowledgable battery experts think please?

Reactions: rrazek36
I have no idea what a knowledgeable battery expert would say but I surely don't. I have no facility to do such a thing. Let it sit for 15 or 20 years and see if it is fully discharged? They will hold at their programmed 60% storage rate for quite some time.

• Haha
Reactions: dirkclod
Surely most Mavic batteries are shipped in hibernation mode and 'have' to be fully or at least partially charged before they can be used?

Reactions: mobilehomer
I had heard that it was recommended/important to cycle new batteries before use...
Nope ... "breaking in" is an older kind of myth that never have been proven in figures. If any positive long term effect can be seen at all, your batteries have been taken out of duty a long time before that due to other reasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: GadgetGuy
Might never been proven but I all ways have with all my drones
made sure and made sure they were topped of then flew them till they autolanded Then did so after I flew them awhile. Has always worked good for me but everyone has a opinion. That is mine and only had 1 issue in 7 years and was a bad battery and did crash.
DJI did replace my drone which was a P2V but that’s just the way I do it. 🤷‍♂️

whats more important in my opinion with new batteries of any drone ,is to treat them gently for the first ten charge /discharge cycles
by that i mean charge fully ,fly within a few hours after charging ,take them down to around 30 to 40% remaining charge ,and fly the drone gently avoiding sport mode and putting a heavy discharge load on the battery , a bit like before modern car engine machining tolerances were around ,you had to run the engine in for several thousand miles, and it would extend the life of the engine by allowing the moving parts to bed in
treating the new battery with care has a similar effect ,and allows the battery chemistry to work better and prolong its life ,you will also notice after several charge /discharge, cycles that the flight time will improve slightly

Might never been proven but I all ways have with all my drones
made sure and made sure they were topped of then flew them till they autolanded Then did so after I flew them awhile. Has always worked good for me but everyone has a opinion. That is mine and only had 1 issue in 7 years and was a bad battery and did crash.
DJI did replace my drone which was a P2V but that’s just the way I do it. 🤷‍♂️
It shouldn’t hurt, but it certainly isn't required for proper battery activation and normal useful life. If it was, DJI would certainly require it. I, too, have never had any premature battery failures in 7 years, without doing it, but I also upgrade my aircraft every two years.

This could go on forever. Everyone has thier opinion. Mine is just from doing it for 7 years. What works for some don’t for others.
I’ve read so many threads here and in PP on it sense I’ve been a member I’ve read many threads on it. I like doing it my way and others like doing it their way. Mine works for me and will continue
doing it that way. 🤷‍♂️

It shouldn’t hurt, but it certainly isn't required for proper battery activation and normal useful life. If it was, DJI would certainly require it. I, too, have never had any premature battery failures in 7 years, without doing it, but I also upgrade my aircraft every two years.
I upgrade mine whenever there is one 😀

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Just charge any battery fully before first, and EVERY, use through it's lifespan.

Never fly on a partially charged battery, unless you have flown one down to say 30% earlier on your flight day, don't have any charged batteries handy, and just want to take the drone up and close for a quick photo or video.

Flying without fully charged batteries (before any auto discharge starts), will probably shorten their lifespan, and you can get erroneous battery level readings with unbalanced cells.

I never fly without a battery. I can't get it to take off. I've tried throwing the drone but I never get any video that way. Maybe someday I'll build a sling shot and try that.

• Haha
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore