DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Canadian Drone Laws (Updated)

Yes, better, but still onerous. For most drones you can't fly within 250 feet of anyone or any vehicle??? That's kind of oppressive. Technically, that means you couldn't demonstrate your drone to anyone unless they were 250 feet away from you. It would pretty much preclude anyone from flying in a town or city, because you will most always be within 250 feet of some vehicle or person. And that's "person", not group of people. Fortunately for the Mavic Pro, it is slightly under a kilogram, so it's only 100 foot distance. Sorry Phantom flyers!

Here's my answer to new Canadian Drone Regs published last week. . . not the LAW yet . . but getting close
Open public sessions are being held across Canada both virtually and in person to hear what the public thinks of the new UAV (Drone) regulations about to be put into law. Check out OUTREACH PROGRAM to see if you can participate in one near you. Here is some of what I plan to say. NEW AIR REGS

Yes, better, but still onerous. For most drones you can't fly within 250 feet of anyone or any vehicle??? That's kind of oppressive. Technically, that means you couldn't demonstrate your drone to anyone unless they were 250 feet away from you.

Mavic is less than 2.2 pounds, so the 100 feet rule applies. It's not so bad if you ask me. I'm sure friends who have agreed to be closer are excluded, it wouldn't make sense otherwise.

Mavic is less than 2.2 pounds, so the 100 feet rule applies. It's not so bad if you ask me. I'm sure friends who have agreed to be closer are excluded, it wouldn't make sense otherwise.

Yea sorry I used the similar text for both Mavic and P4P forums . . my lazy . . . but here is how the regs are written for Mavic

901.11 No person shall operate a very small unmanned aircraft at a lateral distance of less than 100 feet from another person, except from a crew member or other person involved in the operation, unless

• (a) the aircraft is operated without creating a hazard to persons or property on the surface;
  • (b) the aircraft is operated at an altitude above 100 feet AGL; and
  • (c) the aircraft is operated at a ground speed of less than 10 knots (11.5 mph).
( a) kinda goes without saying because it's well stated elsewhere and intuitively OBVIOUS! It does not need to be repeated. Both the 901.11 itself and subpara (b) are redundant so what is the point of stating it TWICE in the same para? . . . and how far out are you supposed to slow down.? Seems I can overfly someone at 101ft at 40mph but if I'm 1 ft lower I have to slow down somewhere before I get there. This poorly worded para is just confusing and unnecessary.

I'd recommend:
“902.11 No person shall operate a UAV closer than 100ft from any other person or property or fly faster than 10 kts (11.5mph) if they operate that close, unless those persons or property are:
(a) other crew members, or
(b) the subject of the operation.”

Minimum Visual Meteorological Conditions

901.12 No pilot shall operate a very small unmanned aircraft unless

• (a) the aircraft is operated clear of cloud; and
  • (b) the ground visibility as observed from the location of the control station is not less than two statute miles.
My Comment: Given the ¼ mile rule, what is the basis for visibility range of 2 miles? 1 mile is more than reasonable. Whenever the local visibility is 1 mile (ie: 4 times the distance you can reasonably see or operate ANY UVA with the Mark1 eyeball) . . At 1 mile viz it is already illegal for any VFR or SVFR aircraft or helicopters operating in the area anyway. It is also reasonable to suggest that the ¼ mile UAV limit is also arbitrary given 1 mile visibility and good UAV strobe lighting. . .

Last edited:
Starting June 01, 2019, you need to register your drone for a fee $5 and also pass online exam 35 questions for basic flyers $10 fee,

Reactions: Cookedinlh
Last edited:
Lots of stuff in there and good improvements overall . . but I did notice you still cannot use a drone from any moving vehicle so that eliminates even from a canoe or boat of any kind . . floating dock? what about a dolly seat on a movie set? . . need to think that one through a bit. It's not just about Cars and trucks

Lots of stuff in there and good improvements overall . . but I did notice you still cannot use a drone from any moving vehicle so that eliminates even from a canoe or boat of any kind . . floating dock? what about a dolly seat on a movie set? . . need to think that one through a bit. It's not just about Cars and trucks

I’m wrong about this ... closer look says you can be a passenger and control a UAV just not drive and fly at the same time .... says you cannot control a UAV “while operating” a moving vehicle Or vessel

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143