DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Canadian rules for flying drones more then 250 grams

JOHNNYBRAVO

Reactions
The rules, which are effective immediately, mean recreational users will face a fine of up to $3,000 if drones weighing more than 250 grams are caught flying:

• Higher than 90 metres.
  • Within 75 metres of buildings, vehicles, vessels, animals or people.
  • More than 500 metres away from you.
  • At night, in clouds or somewhere you can't see it.
  • Within nine kilometres of somewhere aircraft take off or land, or a forest fire.
  • Without your name, address and phone number marked on the drone itself.
  • Over forest fires, emergency response scenes or controlled airspace.
Anyone want to buy a new Mavic hardly used lol....

Yes, very disappointing. I expected better from Transport Canada. This will have a very serious impact on the development of the UAV industry in Canada. It seems to be a very poorly thought out, knee jerk reaction to a complex issue. Taken literally (which laws generally are) I am breaking the rules if my wife is standing beside me when I fly, a seagull gets too close to me, my cat swats at the drone in my living room, etc., etc., etc. All in the name of aviation safety? I don't see that in most of these rules. There is another agenda at play here....

There are several threads going on about this already, just FYI, hopefully mods will merge them at some point :)

the 75 metre from people is pretty ridiculous..... but If I fly at 80 metres then I should technically be more than 75 metres away since the policy does not specify whether this is applied vertically as well as horizontally...:p

the 75 metre from people is pretty ridiculous..... but If I fly at 80 metres then I should technically be more than 75 metres away since the policy does not specify whether this is applied vertically as well as horizontally...:p

Quite correct, they don't specify, so 80m altitude still satisfies it. (over people at least, though buildings a bit tougher as they are typically taller lol).

Also note, that previous to this announcement the rule was 150m from people, animals, buildings, vehicles, animals, etc... It's actually been reduced with this announcement. The difference is before it was a "suggestion" for safety, breaking it could get you in trouble, but not much else. Now it's law, with a fine attached.

Reactions: Sloth469

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wqb3