Welcome Mavic Pilot!
Jump in and join our free DJI Mavic community today!

New Canadian rules

timinator

Reaction score
Garneau making the announcement right now.
$5 registration fee.

Reactions: Ken K

maxpower

Reaction score
Loc
Ontario, Canada

elnidome2017

Reaction score
Comming into effect this summer. Drones must have liability insurance and you need to be licenced to go above 90m. I'm not looking forward to this
Watched the news today so I went and looked up Transport Canada website: For basic drone flyers from June 01, 2019: you only need to pass the online exam 35 questions $10 fee and register your drone $5 fee. I didn't see anything about insurance for basic drone flyers.

timinator

Reaction score
So I guess we are no longer required to have name and address on the aircraft - just have to have the C- registration number?

Reactions: Nomade

Ken K

Reaction score
Loc
North Perth (Listowel), ON, Canada
So I guess we are no longer required to have name and address on the aircraft - just have to have the C- registration number?
And have your Pilot's Certificate readily at hand (must pass Basic Exam - $10 every two years).
Some info here:
Knowledge Requirements for Pilots of Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems 250 g up to and including 25 kg, Operating within Visual Line-of-Sight (VLOS) (TP 15263) - Transport Canada

Looks to me like 99% of drone flights are going to be illegal if all of that "basic" knowledge is required for a certificate.
Or am I missing something?

Reactions: Dizzy1971

timinator

Reaction score
And have your Pilot's Certificate readily at hand (must pass Basic Exam - $10 every two years).
Some info here:
Knowledge Requirements for Pilots of Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems 250 g up to and including 25 kg, Operating within Visual Line-of-Sight (VLOS) (TP 15263) - Transport Canada

Looks to me like 99% of drone flights are going to be illegal if all of that "basic" knowledge is required for a certificate.
I'm sure there will be many people that disregard the regs. I don't think the test for a basic license is going to be that tough. I did a course last spring that met the requirements for the advanced one and despite it being thorough, it didn't seem that difficult.

Sloth469

Reaction score
Loc
Halifax, NS
Really not much change, just the cash grab to register your drone and a cost to pass the basic operator course..... Model aircraft and Drones are lumped into same category of RPA (remotely piloted aircraft). I guess that means that all those model aircraft operators are going to have to jump thru all the hoops that a multirotor drone operator will be subject to.... they are going to be pissed....

Dave A

Reaction score
Loc
Ontario
Some info here:

Why do you think most drone flights would be illegal?

niclariv

Reaction score
Higher allowed altitude though! What is the ‘flight review’ you need to do when registering for the advanced certification?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjrdk4