DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Computer

tca

Reactions
I am getting ready to order a new computer for photo / video editing with the following......
is this enough.....not enough or am I going overboard?

Processor
8th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-8700 6-Core Processor (12MB Cache, up to 4.6 GHz)

Operating SystemWindows
10 Home 64bit English

Memory
32GB, DDR4, 2666MHz

Hard Drive's [2 ]

M.2 512GB PCIe x4 SSD
2TB 7200 rpm Hard Drive

Video Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070 with 8GB GDDR5 Graphics Memory

CD ROM/DVD ROM
Tray Load DVD-RW Drive (Reads and Writes to DVD/CD)

Reactions: mereflyer
What video/photo editing software are you planning to use?

Hmm, "need" is a very strong word, recommend would be better, after all, he doesn't need it.
If someone does not have a backup in place, they need to get one. A backup solution is considered best practice for important data. If his only copies are on a drive that fails, he will wish he had another copy somewhere.

If someone does not have a backup in place, they need to get one. A backup solution is considered best practice for important data. If his only copies are on a drive that fails, he will wish he had another copy somewhere.

It is true and I'd agree, however, I think that's a purchase for the future, the chance of a new drive failing on him are quite slim!

It is true and I'd agree, however, I think that's a purchase for the future, the chance of a new drive failing on him are quite slim!

Depending on how important your data is will influence the decision in regard to implementing a backup solution. For example, your business financial /tax records must be backed up and the backup kept off-site - it's a legal requirement.

So the question is how important are your photos and videos? The thing about computer hardware failure is that it either occurs soon after purchase, caused by a manufacturing fault that is not discovered due to inadequate testing, or after a few years due to normal wear and tear. Of course, the first scenario is rare and so is being struck by lightning - but people do get struck by lightning.

Backing up your data is pretty much the same as buying insurance. It's about planning for the worst case scenario. If you're totally OK with losing all of your photos and videos etc then don't worry about it. But you might want to at least consider copying the most important and irreplaceable stuff to the cloud.

I am getting ready to order a new computer for photo / video editing with the following......
is this enough.....not enough or am I going overboard?

Processor
8th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-8700 6-Core Processor (12MB Cache, up to 4.6 GHz)

Operating SystemWindows
10 Home 64bit English

Memory
32GB, DDR4, 2666MHz

Hard Drive's [2 ]

M.2 512GB PCIe x4 SSD
2TB 7200 rpm Hard Drive

Video Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070 with 8GB GDDR5 Graphics Memory

CD ROM/DVD ROM
Tray Load DVD-RW Drive (Reads and Writes to DVD/CD)

Personally I would wait for AMD to release their Ryzen 3 products, especially since video editing software loves cores/threads so much and what they have in the pipeline looks incredibly good.

You've got the basics down except it's all old hardware (though that may have been your intent).

You can get quality 3200 Mhz ram (like Trident Z w/Samsung DIMMs) for hardly any more money, and you don't list a PSU but that is something often overlooked that I would not cheap out on. Same for a case.

I'd be happy to build you a system in PC Part Picker for reference if you know your budget.

As for a backup option, I suggest something like Blackblaze which is fully unlimited for $3.99/mo. You can have 100 local backups and it won't matter if your house burns down. I use Blackblaze and even with the horrible exchange rate (for me) there is nothing else that even comes close for value. Local (non-application) storage has gotten so cheap it almost doesn't even matter how much you need. 8TB drives can be had for $120-130 these days.

I think there are just two types of computer user: those who have never had a hard disc crash, and those with adequate back up regimes....

Going back to the OP, I wonder if it might be worth checking the need for 32 GB of RAM? I have 16GB in my video editor and the computer (Win10) never seems to use very much of it (say around 6GB). This will vary of course depending on what the machine is asked to do simultaneously, and the software used. But the modest amount saved on 16GB RAM might allow an upgrade to a different video board in the initial purchase. And be sure to check that your software can actually make use of the performance of your chosen video card.

And after all, the extra RAM could be bought later if found essential.

Just my tuppence.....

What video/photo editing software are you planning to use?
Personally I would wait for AMD to release their Ryzen 3 products, especially since video editing software loves cores/threads so much and what they have in the pipeline looks incredibly good.

You've got the basics down except it's all old hardware (though that may have been your intent).

You can get quality 3200 Mhz ram (like Trident Z w/Samsung DIMMs) for hardly any more money, and you don't list a PSU but that is something often overlooked that I would not cheap out on. Same for a case.

I'd be happy to build you a system in PC Part Picker for reference if you know your budget.

As for a backup option, I suggest something like Blackblaze which is fully unlimited for $3.99/mo. You can have 100 local backups and it won't matter if your house burns down. I use Blackblaze and even with the horrible exchange rate (for me) there is nothing else that even comes close for value. Local (non-application) storage has gotten so cheap it almost doesn't even matter how much you need. 8TB drives can be had for $120-130 these days.

My budget will be around 2200.00

I will be using light room and Adobe Premiere Pro CC or Corel VideoStudio Ultimate

My budget will be around 2200.00

CPU part prices in the USA are ridiculously cheap, it makes me sad when I make a USD build haha.

Anyway, if I were buying today this is pretty well what I would get - I even threw in a backup storage HDD for you.

System Builder - Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core, GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB Black, Define R6 Black ATX Mid Tower - PCPartPicker

I used EVGA parts where possible because their warranty and customer service are legendary - plus they make some of the best PSUs in the industry.

Personally I would wait to see what AMD comes out with in the next few months as Ryzen 3 looks very promising, and the RTX2060 GPU's will be out anytime now and are more powerful than a 1070Ti if you wanted to save ~$150 over that 2070. I am also assuming you aren't going to overclock anything, but that cooler will let you if you want. If you are going to do an aggressive OC I would suggest a mobo with beefier VRMs.

Last edited:
CPU part prices in the USA are ridiculously cheap, it makes me sad when I make a USD build haha.

Anyway, if I were buying today this is pretty well what I would get - I even threw in a backup storage HDD for you.

System Builder - Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core, GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB Black, Define R6 Black ATX Mid Tower - PCPartPicker

I used EVGA parts where possible because their warranty and customer service are legendary - plus they make some of the best PSUs in the industry.

Personally I would wait to see what AMD comes out with in the next few months and the RTX2060 GPU's will be out anytime now and are more powerful than a 1070Ti if you wanted to save ~$150 over that 2070. I am also assuming you aren't going to overclock anything, but that cooler will let you if you want.

THANKS.......but when would I find some one to build it?????

THANKS.......but when would I find some one to build it?????

I don't know where you live but in my city there are places that will build the PC, install all the drivers, test all the hardware, and load the OS for $70 CAD. I can only imagine it's easier and cheaper to get the same service in the USA but I probably won't be much help for any specific recommendations.

It's very easy to build a PC if you are at all interested in the idea of doing it yourself, but I realize it's not for everyone.

Whatever you purchase ditch the DVD drive, a total waste of time: almost impossible to format DVD movies and they aren't that large a data space. Go Blu-Ray or go home. Totally awesome to make BR movies, 100GB disks are available for backup, and they play DVDs and CDs so it's a no brainer choice. Oh yeah, and they're only $100.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada